PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

That's a great article.

It's too easy, during the period from around now through draft, free agency, trades and so on to get ahead of yourself in the optimism department. You forget that all the others teams are also working away at making themselves better. Nevertheless, in part because I really do think Bill's. Matt's, and Joe's performance this past year was d----d near unforgiveably awful, I think there is reason for legit optimism re the team next year. The coaching/leadership really was that bad (as all of us "trolls" said all along). I don't think it's pollyannaish (wd?) to expect the coaching next year to be VASTLY better. I think it's reasonable to expect that Mac will resume his growrth as an NFL quarterback. I think the receiver room has more potential than it might seem, since they too were held back this past year by the dismal coaching they got. The defense is at least "sound," and probably better than that. Our AFC East rival seem to be little on the slip. And so on.

So, even though I may generally be a dark-minded old s.o.b., I'm actually thinking we're not in bad shape.

Last year was a nearly complete waste of time. So let's just fuggedabouditt.
I'm no fan of BOB but I'm pretty optimistic for a big improvement if only by virtue of the addition by subtraction effect.

I'm also inclined to give Troy Brown a little more leeway. I've been critical of receiver fundamentals not getting coached up enough but TB may have been going like a one-armed paper hanger just trying to stay on the same scheme page with the OC/QBC "brain" trust.

Anybody who follows this team closely clearly knew by midseason that Patricia/Judge was a fiasco. Granted, Mac's acting out was ill-advised but his frustration is easily understood. Still, we have people here who ignorantly blame the quarterback for the offense's shortcomings.
I knew it was a fiasco from training camp on. I just was hoping that we would see improvement from the coaching staff. Especially with a first time OC I expected it to start rough then Patricia to learn and improve as the season went along.

Last year for the Celtics Ime Udoka was bad to start the year and steadily improved throughout the year to the point I thought he was a great coach in the second half and the playoffs. Was hoping to see the same learning curve from Patricia. Instead, there was no linear improvement.

I’m not. It was clear he was the best QB, but he had to deal with a leaky OL in pass pro, two TEs who didn’t earn their salaries this past season, the inexcusable benching of his best WR, and Patricia. It’s a minor miracle he wasn’t one of the worst QBs in the NFL with all of that going on. He can compete with Zappe for the job in camp

Do you think Zappe has what it takes to pose a serious challenge for the starting job? I don't, but if he does I'll be pleasantly surprised. He has value as backup regardless.

"As Patricia came under outside fire as the face of the offense, Judge drew increasing criticism from within. Belichick would blast him in practice, and it wasn’t uncommon for Judge and Jones to trade profanity-laced outbursts. Jones’ trust in his position coach was effectively non-existent."

“Mac didn’t like him,” one source said. “At all.”

“Sometimes I would wonder, like, are we trying to screw this up on purpose?” one source asked.

I'm no fan of BOB but I'm pretty optimistic for a big improvement if only by virtue of the addition by subtraction effect.

I'm also inclined to give Troy Brown a little more leeway. I've been critical of receiver fundamentals not getting coached up enough but TB may have been going like a one-armed paper hanger just trying to stay on the same scheme page with the OC/QBC "brain" trust.
The interesting aspect we don't have insight on is the specific roles each coach had. It's why I tend to give Troy Brown a pass as I suspect (but have no actual data to back this up) that the WRs coach is much more oriented to fundamentals and then finer implementation of the overall and each week's scheme and game plan. In short - tailoring the OC's guidance to the personnel group he/she is responsible for (in addition to said fundamentals plus likely conditioning and other assorted "health and wellness" issues).

Well at least from the actions they've taken so far, the Patriots have shown signs of accountability. So I can at least give them that. Can't wait for September

Still baffles me how the GOAT HC with 50+ years of coaching experience believed a DC and a ST coach with zero expertise in implementing and running a WC offense could be successful.

Quite frankly concerns the **** out of me moving forward.

74fabff7-19f5-4b3a-b85e-6ec41b3c0366_text.gif

Still baffles me how the GOAT HC with 50+ years of coaching experience believed a DC and a ST coach with zero expertise in implementing and running a WC offense could be successful.

View attachment 49410
And these two coaches in particular who were disliked by players on the teams that fired them.

View attachment 49410

That's why I have speculated that Patricia/Judge might've been BB's late fallback option when his first choice(s) fell through. Maybe someday we'll know if there was a reasonable explanation or that BB truly did lose his mind.

Do you think Zappe has what it takes to pose a serious challenge for the starting job? I don't, but if he does I'll be pleasantly surprised. He has value as backup regardless.
He didn’t look completely lost except for the Bears game. But he didn’t look like the future either. Gun to my head, I’d say no. But WTF do I know about evaluating quarterbacks? I thought the team should have traded up for Mayfield.

And I thought 2009 was bad.

I had always suspected Fatty P was in way over his head, good to know that was the case and things have to be better going on from now, by the simple virtue of subtraction as @turkeyneck says.

Says it all. Not the kind of thing you’d expect to hear from a BB coached team.
No, it's EXACTLY what I expected. What did people think was going to happen when BB hired a couple of his losers buddies to implement a new offense with absolutely no credible experience? Unless you were diluting your judgment with meaningless nonsense like IBWT then you KNEW this was going to be a catastrophe. Myself and others called it. Because it was obvious and then it happened. BB completely blew it.

Im glad that people on here are admitting that the Pats DID change offensive scheme in 2022 to a 49ers offense.

Some people like Ring deny that there was any change.
I would say they changed it... more like they tried to change it... and it didnt work

View attachment 49410
Dementia (Shaq) vs BB (Dudley):

iu

A relatively inexperienced postion coach like Troy Brown could have used a little coaching/guidance himself from his OC and head coach. Last year, though, his head coach had to waste his time clearing up the mess his OC kept making. If you have ever worked in an ill-run, dysfunctional organization, you will know that everyone's performance suffers. Troy definitely deserves another snatch at the brass ring, and maybe another one after that. No coach can succeed when the system/scheme for which he must coach his charges is a pile of steaming c---p.

The Patriots’ success off play-action and man-blocked runs (5.7 yards per carry, seventh-best) had some yearning for the old offense. What was wrong with that system?

“You tell me,” one source said. “I don’t know.”

Anyone else think Stevenson is going to be nasty next season with strange in his 2nd year, improved tackle play & a real OC in BOB?

The fact he averaged 5 YPC in this sh*t show is remarkable.

I think the mistake goes back to when McDaniels was hired by the Raiders and was allowed to take 3 or 4 guys with him. One thing BB was always good at was a succession plan for coaches that leave. In this case he allowed the succession plan to walk out the door with Josh. He needed to make an OC hire from that group to maintain offensive continuity. That would have been less risky than assigning defensive/special teams coaches to the task.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back