PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the most dysfunctional Pats season under BB

You really think these plays are because of the level of competition or the rotation of players on the o-line?

Sorry, but Savage Football is talking out their ass on this one. The Safety coming up is NOT Trent Brown's Assignment. That is Hunter Henry's. We've been over this numerous times. There is no f'in way Brown can kick out 7 yards to pick up that guy. The DE is already on Brown's outside shoulder. The LB is opposite Henry. The Safety coming up is outside of Henry.

For years we laughed at teams like the Jets for "ruining guys" with poor coaching and bad decisions.

Yet we are supposed to just shrug off Bill hiring 2 unqualified guys and wasting a year of our rookie QB (possibly setting him back or ruining him) and putting a barely NFL offense on the field.

It was totally avoidable too. All bill had to do was hire a guy who had coached offense before. Anyone!

I agree. One of the biggest blunders of BB's career.

If I had to choose among Neither Jon Jones nor Meyers will be re-signed; Both will be re-signed; or Only One will be... I would choose Only One, just a feeling... And whom they re-sign will affect nearly every other move during free agency, and at which positions... Could mean an either/or situation with targets like Payne & Edmunds too... I'd also like to see them force Trent Brown to "restructure" his contract before the new league year, because they can save over $10M by cutting his fat, dumb, lazy ass so they're holding all the cards...

Given the choice of Myers and Jon Jones OR Payne and Edmunds which two should the Pats pick? I am firmly in the Payne and Edmunds camp. Add a tall corner at #14, and a free safety in Rd 4. WR and OT for the rest of the draft.

Last edited:
According to Andy this was Bill's genius plan all along: bomb for BoB.
I do not think BB intended to bomb, but I think the chair was already agreed in 2022 to go to BOB in 2023. Would not be surprised if Kraft dictated the move thinking about his next HC - now Kraft can pick between BOB and Mayo. Pats could not say anything (Rooney Rule) and could not hire someone from outside and then fire them after 1 year.

Yeah the starting LT FA market has only one name in it: Orlando Brown, who's almost as fat as Trent Brown.

I wouldn't object to TBrown returning to RT, preferably at Half the cap hit, from $12M to $5-7M.

If he agrees, then instead of drafting three OTs we need to draft only two Plus a Center of the Future... Wisconsin's Joe Tippmann has the size & length to possibly serve as both Backup Center (buh-bye Thanksdad) and Swing Tackle, though he hasn't had experience at OT in college as far as I know... We do however need to draft our 2023 Starting LT by the end of day 2, of that there is no doubt.

He’s already at market rate for a RT and there is a dearth of tackles in the NFL. I think they’re keeping him but not with a pay cut, unless his contract is being restructured.

I do not think T Brown will take a payout, but we need 2 OTs anyway. This is T Browns last season and if he was the swing tackle backup by year's end I would be happy.

I do not think BB intended to bomb, but I think the chair was already agreed in 2022 to go to BOB in 2023. Would not be surprised if Kraft dictated the move thinking about his next HC - now Kraft can pick between BOB and Mayo. Pats could not say anything (Rooney Rule) and could not hire someone from outside and then fire them after 1 year.
That makes no sense given what we know. BB honestly believed Matt and Judge would work out.

It's not some 4D chess going on here. Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

That makes no sense given what we know. BB honestly believed Matt and Judge would work out.

It's not some 4D chess going on here. Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Makes no sense? Of course it makes some sense. It might be wrong, but if Kraft highly values the HC position and wants BOB in the fold, it makes sense.

You are obstinate to not consider anything outside your tunnel vision. But you are consistent.

Makes no sense? Of course it makes some sense. It might be wrong, but if Kraft highly values the HC position and wants BOB in the fold, it makes sense.

You are obstinate to not consider anything outside your tunnel vision. But you are consistent.
Oh, I've considered it but rejected it for not being logical given how events played out and quotes from BB and Kraft at the time. Kraft saying that BB's choices for offensive coaching were unconventional and BB saying that "coaches coach".

And fire them a year later? Because Kraft wanted BOB in 2023 as OC and soon to be HC in 2026. Very real possibility.
Where are you getting that Kraft wanted Teapot in '23 from or is that just your belief?

For years we laughed at teams like the Jets for "ruining guys" with poor coaching and bad decisions.

Yet we are supposed to just shrug off Bill hiring 2 unqualified guys and wasting a year of our rookie QB (possibly setting him back or ruining him) and putting a barely NFL offense on the field.

It was totally avoidable too. All bill had to do was hire a guy who had coached offense before. Anyone!

I have said multiple times that Kraft could have legitimately consider firing Belichick for 2022. I have been a consistent "In Bill we trust" guy for most of the last two plus decades, but what he did last year with the offense was something you would expect from Rich Kotite, not Bill Belichick.

In 2020, Belichick clearly made a 4-12 team be a 7-9 team. Last year, he made a 10-7 to 12-5 team into a 9-8 team. There ate at least 2-3 games where the Patriots lost last year that they would have won if the offense was playing at the 2020 level.

Give the choice of Myers and Jon Jones OR Payne and Edmunds which two should the Pats pick? I am firmly in the Payne and Edmunds camp. Add a tall corner at #14, and a free safety in Rd 4. WR and OT for the rest of the draft.
I agree with this up to a point. I wish they had spent more resources on the D during the '22 draft instead of going all in on offense which didn't go anywhere. Unfortunately the OL needs a lot of help starting with the T. I also doubt Bill is willing to sign Payne for what it'll take. He also seems to be enamoured w/ Bentley and Tavai which doesn't bode well for Edmunds given the good LBs available in last year's draft.

Where are you getting that Kraft wanted Teapot in '23 from or is that just your belief?

It is a guess. Not even a belief. It fits the patterns we have seen over the years. Lots of posters think the theory fits Kraft and BB's personalities. If Kraft wanted BOB as a possible HC (BB was an assistant here and Kraft gave up a 1st round pick to get him) he would ask BB to wait for BOB. Kraft hired a HC from outside the organization twice, Parcells and Caroll, and neither worked out - Kraft wants a future HC he has worked with and is confident in. And BB would try to outsmart the room and fail which he does from time to time, and then Kraft would subtley throw BB under the bus and BB would say Kraft does not pay for a proper coaching staff. It not only fits the personalities but also the *****ing they both did afterwards.

And Archstanton543 hates it so it is most likely true.

It is a guess. Not even a belief. It fits the patterns we have seen over the years. Lots of posters think the theory fits Kraft and BB's personalities. If Kraft wanted BOB as a possible HC (BB was an assistant here and Kraft gave up a 1st round pick to get him) he would ask BB to wait for BOB. Kraft hired a HC from outside the organization twice, Parcells and Caroll, and neither worked out - Kraft wants a future HC he has worked with and is confident in. And BB would try to outsmart the room and fail which he does from time to time, and then Kraft would subtley throw BB under the bus and BB would say Kraft does not pay for a proper coaching staff. It not only fits the personalities but also the *****ing they both did afterwards.

And Archstanton543 hates it so it is most likely true.
I see. I'm just not buying it because of one major reason: Kraft said last March that he was expecting to be a contender as early as this season. There's no way he signs off on P&J unless he was convinced by Bill they were the guys to get it done. Kraft isn't at an age where he can afford to throw away seasons waiting for some future hire. There's also the possibility that Teapot could've taken a HC position w/ another team. You know that nothing is guaranteed until the final closing document is signed. Then there's the whole changing of the offense. Why change anything if the 2 clowns were just place holders? It doesn't make sense to me.

I see. I'm just not buying it because of one major reason: Kraft said last March that he was expecting to be a contender as early as this season. There's no way he signs off on P&J unless he was convinced by Bill they were the guys to get it done. Kraft isn't at an age where he can afford to throw away seasons waiting for some future hire. There's also the possibility that Teapot could've taken a HC position w/ another team. You know that nothing is guaranteed until the final closing document is signed. Then there's the whole changing of the offense. Why change anything if the 2 clowns were just place holders? It doesn't make sense to me.

If Kraft had a handshake deal with BOB, both sides would follow through. That half of your argument is weak. And Kraft definitely wants to hire an in-house assistant to the HC position that he and Jonathan have worked with and feel they can trust (see Parcells disaster). I am sure that is all true.

Those two clowns in charge trying to change everything does not surprise me. What is surprising, and difficult to understand, is why BB allowed it to happen. That is tough to explain no matter what theory you believe.

If Kraft had a handshake deal with BOB, both sides would follow through. That half of your argument is weak. And Kraft definitely wants to hire an in-house assistant to the HC position that he and Jonathan have worked with and feel they can trust (see Parcells disaster). I am sure that is all true.
Sure, if they had a handshake deal but there's no evidence that they even met. It's all speculation. We don't know how the Krafts want to proceed once Bill retires. It will depend on how the team performs in his last few seasons. If they remain a middling team, why would they want to keep Bill's system that was once successful but didn't remain so once he was the only one left from the dynasty days.

Those two clowns in charge trying to change everything does not surprise me. What is surprising, and difficult to understand, is why BB allowed it to happen. That is tough to explain no matter what theory you believe.
Bill allowed it to happen because it was his idea, clearly.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am with BB over the past season. Here’s my take:

My understanding is he wanted Caley to call plays but wouldn’t give Caley the OC title. The notion that BB isn’t big on titles is complete BS. He’s all about them. Tom Curran calls it BB’s desire to pedal in “subterfuge”.

The plan B to pivot to Patricia and Judge was almost entirely based on the fact that they are BB bum kissers first and foremost. That loyalty has likely caused irreparable harm to their coaching careers.

I got an overwhelming feeling at the home game against the Jets, where we won on a punt return, that BB really could care less about offense almost to the point of disdain. I get the sense that he considers that a perfectly played game where it was all about defense and special teams. The only ask of the offense is to not turn the ball over.

I think he really despises how offensively based the modern NFL has become. I do too to some degree, with today’s hyper focus on QB and WR. Football will always be the ultimate team sport, which makes it so great, but for better or worse the passing game is essential to winning in today’s NFL.

It’s been widely reported that BB believes he can win with an average QB. Brady was often asked to perform with subpar talent at the WR position and was ridden hard by BB which is fine to a point, but one can’t help but think that some of this may have been motivated by an inferiority complex.

My biggest disappointment is in how BB handed the offense over to Patricia and Judge and let them be sacrificial lambs. How engaged was he in the offense? Ninety percent of his time should have been on the offensive side of the ball. If it was, we can clearly say that his offensive coaching acumen stinks.

His legacy has clearly taken a hit in my eyes. Feel free to disagree.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back