PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Im a big no on lamar jackson...

Levis dealt with the worse OL and targets by far out of the big names. If you watched him half of the 23 he threw last year weren't exactly on the QB. Drop/tipped passes, lots of pressure, few rushers tipped his arm, one end of half heave for end zone, one end of the game same situation. Like AR15 he's got an accuracy problem not so much a decision making problem.
Whenever I see accuracy stats like completion percentage but see a few too many interceptions I think it’s a decision making issue. Richardson has accuracy issues. Both can be fixed, but not having to fix anything is better still.

We don't know much about Mac. He's a THIRD YEAR QB, for god's sake. A decent rookie year that was then absolutely kneecapped by a brutal second where he had absolutely no support. And NO QB can exist without good coaching and a competent offensive line. Please name me a Super Bowl winner who won with bad coaching and an incompetent line.

NFL QBs take time to develop. Tom was in his second year and had great coaching and an ideal team around him for his skillset when they won that first Super Bowl.
Yup. Look at Josh Allen.

Lamar Jackson would be a sexy addition, but we already have a good stable of RBs so don’t see the value

I don't see the value in giving up 2 first round picks and around 50 million a year. Lamar is very good but running quarterbacks are injury prone. I am looking forward to watching Mac play under Bob.

Sony has won two Super Bowls and on both occasions his production could have been replicated by multiple other RBs. Sony is NOT a special RB in any way, shape, or form. Absolutely not worth the 1st round pick.

No other QB can replicate what Lamar produced in 2019 and it set a baseline for his ceiling... 36 passing TDs, 9.0 TD%, 113.3 passer rating, 83.0 QBR, 1206 rushing yards (NFL record), 6.9 Y/A, 7 rushing TDs.

The two takes are not the same.

Sony and Wynn have not been high quality NFL players and neither were worth 1st round selections. Lamar has been extraordinary, the best player in the league for a season, and he still has the potential for exceptionalism.

And any QB or player can get injured. Mac missed time this season. Stafford, Dak, Murray, Tua, Hurts, Garoppolo, and Purdy. Most with more serious injuries than Lamar, who has never suffered a serious injury. He's 26, he's healthy, he's a dynamic football player.

Meaningless regular season MVP???? ************ I rag on Mac for his fake 7th alternate pro bowl selection in 2021 and I get killed for it. Now I'm hearing a league MVP award is meaningless for another QB. lol I'll remember that if Mac ever wins something like FedEx Air Player of the Week.

And Lamar "choked" with a postseason record 508 combined yards. Ok.
This is 2023 and Jackson's MVP is as valuable to any team's success as Cant Newton's was to the Pats in 2020. There's no more of a meaningless award these days than NYFL MVP.

We agree that the situations are different between SM and LJ, but it's different in Michel's favor, not Jackson's. Sony spent his time celebrating SB wins while Lamar spent his time in the whirlpool.

Lamar had 508 combined yards that produced a stellar 55.9 completion %, 140+ yards rushing and a whopping 12 points, which resulted in his 2nd one and done in as many tries. I also don't think his 2 INTs and lost fumble helped. Those few points with that many yards, combined with his multiple turnovers, defines choking.

Lamar has one playoff victory in 5 seasons on a good team, what happens if he's traded to a bad or average team?
I find it fascinating how many fans have what I see as too much confidence in Jackson. He hasn't done anything but some people are sure he's a franchise QB. I talked to my brother in Florida a while back and he was begging for the Pats to get him. I don't get it.

I find it fascinating how many fans have what I see as too much confidence in Jackson. He hasn't done anything but some people are sure he's a franchise QB. I talked to my brother in Florida a while back and he was begging for the Pats to get him. I don't get it.
Mac Jones or Lamar Jackson? Who do YOU want as the Patriots quarterback for the next 3 to 5 seasons?

Bijan Robinson would only cost one first.

some of my mock sims had Bijan dropping all the way to the Bills

that would be a terrifying reality if it came to be

I'd rather have Mac Jones plus 2 firsts plus $300 million in cap space spread out over the next 7 years than Lamar Jackson.
You miss out the point that in a year and a half we are going to be paying mac 40m per year, or we will just have another rookie or some other average guy

Last edited:
You miss out the point they in a year and a half we are going to be paying mac 40m per year, or we will just have another rookie or some other average guy

It could be less than $40 million, depending on the deal.

You miss out the point that in a year and a half we are going to be paying mac 40m per year, or we will just have another rookie or some other average guy
Uh, no. Just no. I have no idea where you got your “year and a half” number. We have 3 years left of Mac under cheap dollars - assuming he plays well enough to exercise his 5th year option (and if he doesn’t play well enough to exercise the option then good riddance).

Paying Jones the $40 million you quoted is still 3 full seasons away - assuming it even happens.

If you're a no on Lamar Jackson you're a no on winning, Mac Jones can't win games where the other team scores 25 points or more.

That's why the Patriots don't beat good teams anymore, if you can score to even a decent level the Pats are done, they're good at piling on points against trash offenses who turn the ball over if they have to go score for score in a game played in the mid 20s and beyond they lose.

With M Patricia as OC, you are right. With BOB as OC it will be different. How different? I am not sure, but not bad like Matty P. Time to move on.

do you think we win a champ rather with mac or lamar?
i don't think either will get one
for mac we know he needs a perfect coaching, o line and weapons around him to succeed, he will not evaluate talent to another level or make plays on his own ( this is my guess and i think it's fair to assume this with the 2 seasons)
i don't think lamar will be enough when facing elite defenses and availability

Lamar is better than Mac, but costs 10x more so the comparison is Lamar versus Mac plus the players we lose with Lamar's cap hit.

I do not like looking backwards so I am hoping Mac surprises us like J Hurts surprised the Eagles last year. If not, we have to move on, but like you said, I do not think Lamar is the answer. Lamar might win more games (so we get a lower draft pick) but I don't think Lamar will ever win a ring.

Lamar is better than Mac, but costs 10x more so the comparison is Lamar versus Mac plus the players we lose with Lamar's cap hit.

I do not like looking backwards so I am hoping Mac surprises us like J Hurts surprised the Eagles last year. If not, we have to move on, but like you said, I do not think Lamar is the answer. Lamar might win more games (so we get a lower draft pick) but I don't think Lamar will ever win a ring.
Lamar only costs 10x more than Mac this year and potentially the next. Starting in 2024 you'll have a decision to make on Mac Jones and either he'll play in 2025 under the fifth year option for between 24 and 27 million dollars, or he'll sign an extension with the floor of Daniel Jones money. That's if he's good. If he sucks, you'll have the privilege of paying a mediocre guy 40 million or starting over in the draft into another rebuild. The scenario in which Mac is both good and cheap for the duration of what would be Lamar Jackson's contract simply does not exist.

Lamar only costs 10x more than Mac this year and potentially the next. Starting in 2024 you'll have a decision to make on Mac Jones and either he'll play in 2025 under the fifth year option for between 24 and 27 million dollars, or he'll sign an extension with the floor of Daniel Jones money. That's if he's good. If he sucks, you'll have the privilege of paying a mediocre guy 40 million or starting over in the draft into another rebuild. The scenario in which Mac is both good and cheap for the duration of what would be Lamar Jackson's contract simply does not exist.

I agree with all of that. Mac does save $35M in '23 and '24, and $15M in '25. What was your point? 1. You think Lamar is a championship level QB? If yes, how do you restructure our cap to fit Lamar in 2023? 2. You think RK is going to sign a $250M guaranteed check to Lamar? 3. You want to give up our 2024 and 2025 1st round picks for Lamar and trade Mac? 4. If Lamar gets injured or does not work out, you are comfortable with a 6 year, $240M guaranteed contract that would wreck the Psts until 2029?

Mac Jones or Lamar Jackson? Who do YOU want as the Patriots quarterback for the next 3 to 5 seasons?
The jury is still out on Mac Jones. However, I've seen all that I need to see of Jackson, you know, on those semi rare occasions when he's ready or willing to play.

Of course this is a totally meaningless discussion we're having because there's no way that Bill or Bob want him. Bob because he'd costs too much and Bill because he'd be making less than one of his players, which appears to be a big part of doing whatever's best for the t-e-a-m team.

The best option isn't to bring in an injury-prone, average QB and pay him a king's ransom.

With M Patricia as OC, you are right. With BOB as OC it will be different. How different? I am not sure, but not bad like Matty P. Time to move on.
Aren't Patricia and Judge still there?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back