PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you were Kraft and this season doesn’t improve, do you move on from Bill after this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you move on from Bill after 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 101 62.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 31 19.0%

• Total voters
Everything you wrote here is wrong. McDermott has absolute control and has had it from the beginning. Reid's son in prison was a coach with KC. I'm not talking about what Shanahan did as a student. I'm talking about his professional career which began under his father's disciple.

So now McDermott has absolute control? What about their general manager? Beane has been around since 2017 and makes all personnel and draft decisions.

Shanahan’s first NFL job was under Gruden, who has no connection to Mike Shanahan.

Andy Reid is a boomer just like Bill so I’m not sure how pointing out him hiring his sons helps your argument. He like Bill with Brady would fall on his face without Mahomes. Both Bill and Andy are examples of the times making the man not the man making the times.

Once again I’m not trying to be rude but you don’t know what you’re talking about and you seem to think by saying stuff assertively which in internet terms is the loudest people are going to believe it.

So now McDermott has absolute control? What about their general manager? Beane has been around since 2017 and makes all personnel and draft decisions.

Shanahan’s first NFL job was under Gruden, who has no connection to Mike Shanahan.

Andy Reid is a boomer just like Bill so I’m not sure how pointing out him hiring his sons helps your argument. He like Bill with Brady would fall on his face without Mahomes. Both Bill and Andy are examples of the times making the man not the man making the times.

Once again I’m not trying to be rude but you don’t know what you’re talking about and you seem to think by saying stuff assertively which in internet terms is the loudest people are going to believe it.

Beane is the first to tell you McDermott is the ultimate decision maker. He says this often. I hear Beane speak every single week on my morning commute. McDermott was hired first and brought Beane along as his sidekick, not the other way around. It's McDermott's show. This is why the Bills have drafted 7 DE/DTs in the first few rounds the last few years.

There is a connection between Gruden and Shanahan. They have the 49ers coaching tree. Shanahan coached under Seifert as did Gruden. When Gruden left for Green Bay, guess who the staff was (Holmgren HC ex-49ers), Steve Mariucci (ex-49ers), Andy Reid (ex 49ers)? We're talking about guys who coached under Seifert.

You're so wrong on all of this, and it's funny you say I don't know what I'm talking about when you're full of incorrect facts and misinformation.

Beane is the first to tell you McDermott is the ultimate decision maker. He says this often. I hear Beane speak every single week on my morning commute. McDermott was hired first and brought Beane along as his sidekick, not the other way around. It's McDermott's show. This is why the Bills have drafted 7 DE/DTs in the first few rounds the last few years.

There is a connection between Gruden and Shanahan. They have the 49ers coaching tree. Shanahan coached under Seifert as did Gruden. When Gruden left for Green Bay, guess who the staff was (Holmgren HC ex-49ers), Steve Mariucci (ex-49ers), Andy Reid (ex 49ers)? We're talking about guys who coached under Seifert.

You're so wrong on all of this, and it's funny you say I don't know what I'm talking about when you're full of incorrect facts and misinformation.
The Bills have a GM which completely discredits your his way or the highway comment. Your suggestion that Beane says it’s McDermotts show is speculative at best.

You said Shanahan couched under his father’s disciple. Gruden is not a disciple of Shanahan whether they have connections to the same coaching tree or not.

You pivoting your claims. That’s why I think you don’t know what you’re talking about and on top of that I still don’t know what the point of your post was other than to say that other coaches making poor decisions and having nepotism does what? Makes it ok for the Patriots? Does it turn their losing record over the past 3+ seasons into a winning record too?

If Bill leaves and goes to a new team would you cheer for his team and for Bill to win one as HC sans Brady? I think I’d be more interested in seeing how that team does with BB than I would otherwise but that’s as far as it goes with me.

I think the odds of that are low anyway. When he leaves he’s done imo.

The Bills have a GM which completely discredits your his way or the highway comment. Your suggestion that Beane says it’s McDermotts show is speculative at best.
Beane was hired in May of 2017, four months after McDermott. The Panthers hired Beane because he was familiar with McDermott during their time in Carolina. So you can put two and two together that McDermott vouched for him.

Veach also followed Reid from Philly. After Veach pushed Reid into drafting Patrick Mahomes, he was promoted to GM after the Chiefs fired John Dorsey.

Like the case in SF where Shanahan calls the shots (he got Lynch hired), I would think McDermott and Reid have the final say.

Last edited:
If Bill leaves and goes to a new team would you cheer for his team and for Bill to win one as HC sans Brady?
Yes.
think I’d be more interested in seeing how that team does with BB than I would otherwise but that’s as far as it goes with me.
Bill has always been at his best when he has talent. The problem is, he hasn't had a good eye for talent going on 10 years now. The 2nd dynasty lived off of the 2009-2012 drafts. He needs to go to a team that has talent, but needs a good kick in the ass. He just needs to concentrate on coaching.

Last edited:
Yes.

Bill has always been at his best when he has talent. The problem is, he hasn't had a good eye for talent going on 10 years now. The 2nd dynasty lived off of the 2009-2012 drafts. He needs to go to a team that has talent, but needs a good kick in the ass. He just needs to concentrate on coaching.
It wasn’t Bill the GM who assigned Matt Patricia to OC & OLine coaching duties last season and hired Joe Judge to coach his 2nd year QB coming off his promising rookie season. That’s N’Keal Harry/ JoeJuan Williams level poor judgement by Bill the HC.

It wasn’t Bill the GM who assigned Matt Patricia to OC & OLine coaching duties last season and hired Joe Judge to coach his 2nd year QB coming off his promising rookie season. That’s N’Keal Harry/ JoeJuan Williams level poor judgement by Bill the HC.
Bill needs a fresh start like Reid. Reid was looking burnt out in Philly and revitalized in KC.

Bill needs a fresh start like Reid. Reid was looking burnt out in Philly and revitalized in KC.
I wish there was a miracle transition he could make now, to a team team with a lot of talent and bad coaching.

Because the key for the patriots is to lose this year. Make Judge the interim coach. Belichick saves face here and continues to chase Shula's record and the patriots do what they should do this year, which is lose games.

I wish there was a miracle transition he could make now, to a team team with a lot of talent and bad coaching.

Because the key for the patriots is to lose this year. Make Judge the interim coach. Belichick saves face here and continues to chase Shula's record and the patriots do what they should do this year, which is lose games.
Judge? I mean, I guess if you want them to tank, sure...but that will rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Judge? I mean, I guess if you want them to tank, sure...but that will rub a lot of people the wrong way.
Yeah, I'm just thinking about an in-house solution to losing.

Look, it's a tricky one. Reiss had two interesting items today, one talking about how based on pass block win rate the offensive line is the worst since 2017 among all teams rated (224 teams), and another how the Pats receivers rank last in the league for separation this season. That's a lethal combination for any quarterback

If we had a good line, a good QB and good receivers, then I dont think thered be a problem. We need stars and we dont have any on offense.

If we had a good line, a good QB and good receivers, then I dont think thered be a problem. We need stars and we dont have any on offense.

The thing is that if Belichick left after this season and a new coach came in and wanted to blow up the offense. I don't think there is a single player on offense that you can say that the new coach must keep. Not a single one. If he turned over all the players on offense, I don't think anyone would be really upset. I mean Douglas has potential, but not much more than that at this point (not 100% his fault since he isn't getting reps).

There are a few players that if he kept, people would be ok with them staying. Maybe a few that people would think was a good move to keep. Not a single one that people would be really upset if they weren't here next year.

The key is losing?

You said Shanahan couched under his father’s disciple. Gruden is not a disciple of Shanahan whether they have connections to the same coaching tree or not.

You pivoting your claims. That’s why I think you don’t know what you’re talking about and on top of that I still don’t know what the point of your post was other than to say that other coaches making poor decisions and having nepotism does what? Makes it ok for the Patriots? Does it turn their losing record over the past 3+ seasons into a winning record too?
You've been wrong so many times in your responses.

1. I live in Buffalo and it's absolutely certain that McDermott brought Beane in, and Beane is his sidekick.

2. How did you not know that Reid's son was a coach?

3. My point on Shanahan is that he was part of the same circle of coaches under Bill Walsh and Seifert. Shanahan coached under Seifert, and his son then got his first job under one of Seifert's OCs. All these coaches were under the same system. I just listed all of them, even if they didn't work with each other at the same time, they worked under the same guy. How do you think grad assistant Shanahan gets a job with Gruden if not nepotism?

1. I live in Buffalo and it's absolutely certain that McDermott brought Beane in, and Beane is his sidekick.

3. My point on Shanahan is that he was part of the same circle of coaches under Bill Walsh and Seifert. Shanahan coached under Seifert, and his son then got his first job under one of Seifert's OCs. All these coaches were under the same system. I just listed all of them, even if they didn't work with each other at the same time, they worked under the same guy. How do you think grad assistant Shanahan gets a job with Gruden if not nepotism?
I cleared it up for you. See above.

Response to #1 - McDermott is not the GM and there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest your claims that it is his way or the highway.
Response to #2 - I am not sure where you got the impression I didn’t know he was a coach but I’m pretty sure that was well known by every NFL fan.
Response to #3 - You should lookup the definition of disciple. You might also want to look up nepotism while you’re at it.

I'm really not sure what to do. I tend to blame Bill the GM more than I blame Bill the coach. Ideally I would like to bring in a new front office with fresh ideas, but that doesn't really work if they are playing the same scheme.

Pats need to upgrade at QB, Mac was supposed to be a cerebral QB that could run complicate schemes and audible his receivers open. Instead we have QB who panics in the pocket. They need to start fresh at QB, but put players around the new QB who helps him succeed. That means investing in wide receiver and tackles. Then Bill has to play the young talents, no more sitting players like Pop Douglas in favor of washed up guys like JuJu. Stop trying to build the team with middle tier contracts and be willing to spend top of the market money at the premium positions.

I'd like to see something done with this team sooner rather than later but I have no idea what a real move like that could be. Moving on from Bill midseason is a bad idea, and since all the other coaches are from Bill's system the team might need an entire new coaching staff and front office (which seems unlikely at best).

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back