PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

Here is the thing with Wolf. Ideally, he should be evaluated based on the totality of his work, instead of one draft. But, since he did pretty much nothing in FA or trades, we can only evaluate him based on his draft. And if this draft goes poorly, he basically has nothing to show for his tenure here. Why would he kept around if that happens? He's backed himself in a corner at this point, and has no choice but to nail this draft

You shouldn’t get fired for something that any normal gm would do. Drafting maye or daniels at 3 on a qb needy team is really a no brainer in this situation whether it ends up working or not. Unless your scouts truly don’t believe in whichever qb is there.

Doing something totally outside the box that fails miserably when most had expected it to is one way to get fired, or 3+ years without playoff success.

Most important in all this is the declaration they've made that prior bust picks were the result of NOT going with the staff consensus. I think they are dedicated to that at this point. It won't be a lone Wolf decision.
Lone wolf, see whay ya did there...lol

Daniels isn’t going to be available. He should take MHJ but he won’t.

They will select a QB for no other reason than the sake of selecting a QB

When a GM/coach repeatedly ignores the scouts, assistants' etc. and drafts a consensus 5th round, small school safety, in the second round...
or a guard in the first round,
or a slow wide receiver that cannot get separation because he interviewed well...
or repeatedly fails to draft an impact receiver...
When scouts leave the organization because they feel their input is repeatedly overruled/ignored...
eventually he gets fired.

Sorry, I just had to get that out (always been a big BB apologist).

There is ZERO chance Daniels makes it to 3
The emerging consensus on Maye is that he is a risky pick.
Hope they take MHJ, nabors or Alt at 3

There is ZERO chance Daniels makes it to 3
The emerging consensus on Maye is that he is a risky pick.
Hope they take MHJ, nabors or Alt at 3
I agree and if they don't take one of those three then they should trade down. I'm afraid Maye will be a bust.

They could also take a shot at another QB in the later rounds and you never know who could emerge as the better QB.

Most important in all this is the declaration they've made that prior bust picks were the result of NOT going with the staff consensus. I think they are dedicated to that at this point. It won't be a lone Wolf decision.
Wolf won't make the decision.

It will be consensus decision as befits the most important draft pick in over 20 years.

However, I definitely could see them being risk averse and trading down a bit in order to pick one of the other three, and then focusing on supporting a QB, while maintaining a top 5 Defense. To be clear, I don't think that this will happen. However, it goes far to choose a QB who is coachable and who impressing the staff as fitting the site of the coaching staff.

I expect Maye or Daniels, but I could see the staff rejecting wither one of them. Not all QB's are ready to sit for most of the season and work hard on developing an Offense to compete for the playoffs in 2025, while spending much of the remaining 2024 cap money on extending defensive players. Some QB's would expect and want lots of money spend now on WR's and other players to help the Offense.

Last edited:
That hits on maybe one of the biggest challenges a GM will face

There are "safe" choices they can make that will let them keep their job more even if it doesn't turn out right

The best GMs will simply go in whatever direction they feel is right, however it looks, and be judged on the merits. Let's hope wolf is one of those
I am more of a guy that values consensus. You hire good guys to scout and then listen to them. I want the general manager to be a manager not the head scout. You get the input from the coaches and the scouts and you make the final decision. Now a good manager trusts the people that he hired or if he doesn't they will just move on.

I am more of a guy that values consensus. You hire good guys to scout and then listen to them. I want the general manager to be a manager not the head scout. You get the input from the coaches and the scouts and you make the final decision. Now a good manager trusts the people that he hired or if he doesn't they will just move on.
I agree, I think my point is a little bit different, in that if the pick ultimately goes against the conventional wisdom, the GM has to be confident enough to go with it. I think a lot of times they pick guys that everyone agrees is the right choice, thinking well this is the safe pick

Was Mac a Bill or Wolf pick?

Wolf picked him. Belichick was adamant that he didn’t want Mac but Wolf told him to mind his own business and stay in his lane. He was picking Jones whether Belichick liked it or not. Then Wolf told Belichick that if he didn’t shut his piehole he would be looking for a new job in a few minutes. Belichick did as he was told and cowered in the corner for the rest of the Draft.

I agree and if they don't take one of those three then they should trade down. I'm afraid Maye will be a bust.
I think a trade down with a great return is the best scenario.

This team as currently constructed is going to be tough for a rookie QB to come into.

We already have our starting QB for next season, so let’s add some cornerstone pieces.

There are some interesting later QB options, like Rattler, Pratt and others, and maybe double dip.

There is something to be said for lower expectations. It certainly helped Brady that no one expected anything from him when he was drafted. I didn’t even like the pick. We already had a full QB room.

Not only getting the cornerstone pieces, but more of them with a trade down, is a really appealing option to me.

If you take a QB at #3, he MUST make it, otherwise nothing else matters.

That is boom or bust for a franchise.

Build smart for longevity.

Wolf has to get the QB right and a good backup QB in case the QB busts (see San Francisco). If he fails those things, he'll be fired. Mayo, too.

I think a trade down with a great return is the best scenario.

This team as currently constructed is going to be tough for a rookie QB to come into.

We already have our starting QB for next season, so let’s add some cornerstone pieces.

There are some interesting later QB options, like Rattler, Pratt and others, and maybe double dip.

There is something to be said for lower expectations. It certainly helped Brady that no one expected anything from him when he was drafted. I didn’t even like the pick. We already had a full QB room.

Not only getting the cornerstone pieces, but more of them with a trade down, is a really appealing option to me.

If you take a QB at #3, he MUST make it, otherwise nothing else matters.

That is boom or bust for a franchise.

Build smart for longevity.
Is there a **** Rehbien on the current staff? The truly dream scenario would be for the team to identify a developmental candidate that they had enough confidence in to draft in a later round. That fairly risky plan would allow them to cash in on #3 and bring in a QB with the potential to become the starter next year.

Here is the thing with Wolf. Ideally, he should be evaluated based on the totality of his work, instead of one draft. But, since he did pretty much nothing in FA or trades, we can only evaluate him based on his draft. And if this draft goes poorly, he basically has nothing to show for his tenure here. Why would he kept around if that happens? He's backed himself in a corner at this point, and has no choice but to nail this draft
Regarding free agency, Kraft might have shut him down, and the evidence for that is Ridley. But it’s thin evidence: perhaps Wolf just thought it wasn’t worth going over the top for a marginal #1 with head issues.

If the Patriots go 0-17 for each of the next 5 seasons will the team fold?

If the Patriots go 0-17 for each of the next 5 seasons will the team fold?
Is this your way of saying my original question was absurd? Perhaps, but it sure turned out to be a good conversation starter.

Regarding a sustained period of bottom of the barrel performance, it's more likely the team would be sold and potentially moved out of NE.

Is this your way of saying my original question was absurd? Perhaps, but it sure turned out to be a good conversation starter.

Regarding a sustained period of bottom of the barrel performance, it's more likely the team would be sold and potentially moved out of NE.
Who knows. Also hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully the circumstances that sent our previous 1st round QB to the trash pile have been corrected and we pick the right guy whoever that might be.

Who knows. Also hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully the circumstances that sent our previous 1st round QB to the trash pile have been corrected and we pick the right guy whoever that might be.

Yes, the circumstance that sent the previous QB to the trash pile has been corrected. He sucked, he’s gone.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back