PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

If Wolf takes JJ and he busts. Does Wolf get fired? The question can be turned around just as easily.

Answer is nobody knows for sure who will be the best QB of this class. Most scouts say Caleb Williams. But we're not in position to take him now are we?

Get fired?

I will be thinking parking lot stoning if he picks JJ McCarthy #3

No, you don't fire the guy for 1 bad pick, unless you tell him, or expect him to understand, that we're done with out-of-left-field, not-the-consensus picks. In Bill we don't trust, who TF did you say you were? The guy who invented Law and Order*?

Sirrously... I don't think you get slammed for conflating the value of no. 3 and no. 4 in the popular wisdom. But you've got the no. 3 pick. Don't try to hit a home run when it's really hard to screw up a base hit with the draft pick you have.

One thing I don't think he'll do is get a Rodeo clown or a pro wrestler or a ST ace out of Lenoir feckin Rhine. Or freakin' Rutgers. If he does, and it's a mistake, as it will seem obvious it is, let justice be swift and merciless.

Sorry, I IBWTrusted for 23 years. about 20 of 'em were great. But now I'm sort of in the mood for getting dealt three of a kind and not throwing back four expecting to draw a straight flush.

*"I watch too much TV" reference; All the flavors of Law and Order came from some guy named Wolf.

Let AVP and Macadoo pick the QB.
That’s where I’m at.

Wolf is in charge of personnel decisions, not the OC and QB coach. Van Pelt and MaCadoo are there to coach the pick. I’m sure he will listen to Mayo, the scouts, and the coaches, but but the final decision is Wolf’s, that’s why they hired him.

Wolf is in charge of personnel decisions, not the OC and QB coach. Van Pelt and MaCadoo are there to coach the pick. I’m sure he will listen to Mayo, the scouts, and the coaches, but but the final decision is Wolf’s, that’s why they hired him.
Don't think so....evaluator only. TC McCartney is the QB Coach.

Don't think so....evaluator only. TC McCartney is the QB Coach.

My mistake, I thought Macadoo was the QB coach. Either way it’s still Wolf’s call on the pick.

If Wolf picks (insert name here) and he busts, while (insert name here) becomes a star....

Draft is a crapshoot.

If Wolf picks (insert name here) and he busts, while (insert name here) becomes a star....

Draft is a crapshoot.
That word refers to a roll of the dice and it fits like a glove.

Draft is a crapshoot.
Yep. See Purdy, Brock.

I wonder how everyone would feel right now about the Trey Lance trade-up by the 49ers if it was him instead of Purdy that got to the Super Bowl.

common consensus
You mean the echo chamber? BB at his best, pre 2015 (the year he demonstrably goofed in a big way drafting Stanford’s unathletic Jordan Richards in the second round ), would not treat the echo chamber with respect. I really liked that about him.

But he lost his mojo and then his confidence in the draft. Overcompensating with likely bust BoneyT out of Baylor after the N’Keal Harry catastrophe. And then drafting Mac Jones when it seemed to go against his better judgment as witnessed by his being unimpressed with Jones’s pro day.

You mean the echo chamber? BB at his best, pre 2015 (the year he demonstrably goofed in a big way drafting Stanford’s unathletic Jordan Richards in the second round ), would not treat the echo chamber with respect. I really liked that about him.

But he lost his mojo and then his confidence in the draft. Overcompensating with likely bust BoneyT out of Baylor after the N’Keal Harry catastrophe. And then drafting Mac Jones when it seemed to go against his better judgment as witnessed by his being unimpressed with Jones’s pro day.
Right, that's why I mentioned that it really depends on what the consensus in the draft room itself is versus the common narrative.

Yep. See Purdy, Brock.

I wonder how everyone would feel right now about the Trey Lance trade-up by the 49ers if it was him instead of Purdy that got to the Super Bowl.

Brock Purdue is a decent QB who has been successful managing games on a great roster, he won’t be able to lift them up when S.F. Lose half of that roster to free agency. This is the test that the greatest QB’s have been able to pass, with Mahomes being the most recent to prove that he can lift his team to success despite a lack of great skill players around him.

Brock Purdue is a decent QB who has been successful managing games on a great roster, he won’t be able to lift them up when S.F. Lose half of that roster to free agency. This is the test that the greatest QB’s have been able to pass, with Mahomes being the most recent to prove that he can lift his team to success despite a lack of great skill players around him.
Honestly Brock was slept on in the draft, he showed good traits at Iowa State. He had better traits than Pickett, Ridder and Willis for sure. Yes he is currently a game manager but I think he has the ability to prove much more than that

Honestly Brock was slept on in the draft, he showed good traits at Iowa State. He had better traits than Pickett, Ridder and Willis for sure. Yes he is currently a game manager but I think he has the ability to prove much more than that

That’s possible. The test comes when he loses the great skill players surrounding him and has to get it done with less talent to work with. If he shows that it puts him on a higher level.

The other half of the debate should be how many guys he hits on in rounds 2-6

Pick any bust at 3 and you're on thin ice. The successful players picked afterwards are just used as examples to pile on your failure. It doesn't matter which bust you picked at 3, or who turned out to be a hit in the rest of the top 10. The only thing that matters is getting your pick right.
Unless your John Lynch

That’s possible. The test comes when he loses the great skill players surrounding him and has to get it done with less talent to work with. If he shows that it puts him on a higher level.
I hope that doesn't happen until his 4th season.

Look at the QBs taken back in the first round since 2012, not a couple of, not some of, not the majority of but MOST of those QBs are crap. 2020 seems to be one of the few outliers but there is a better chance whoever the Patriots draft sucks than there is he’s any good

Look at the QBs taken back in the first round since 2012, not a couple of, not some of, not the majority of but MOST of those QBs are crap. 2020 seems to be one of the few outliers but there is a better chance whoever the Patriots draft sucks than there is he’s any good
We can go one step better than that. Look at all the QB's taken in the top 3 picks since 2005. Still way more busts than successes. (The asterisk represents the top QB of that year's draft).

*Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
*Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
*Joe Burrow
*Kyler Murray
*Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
*Mitchell Trubisky
*Jared Goff
Carson Wentz