PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

If they take a QB at #3 or even if they moved back to #11 with MIN and took one, then they're hitching their wagon to that guy for the next few years. If that guy is a bust, then everyone is probably on thin ice. That's how it goes once you take a QB and commit to him.

You have to do an exceptional job with the rest of the roster to survive screwing up the QB pick.

Trey Lance was a bust, but most other SF move seem to be working. Let’s see a body of work.
Good point. If they pick a bust QB at 3, but then also pick an MVP candidate QB in the 7the round and go to the SB it does tend to balance out.

Regarding free agency, Kraft might have shut him down, and the evidence for that is Ridley. But it’s thin evidence: perhaps Wolf just thought it wasn’t worth going over the top for a marginal #1 with head issues.

Well, unless Kraft is going to take a bullet for Wolf, when the fans start getting upset, Wolf is going to become the sacrificial lamb. And it's not like he has a lot of ammo in his chamber to defend himself.

This applies to whatever decision is made at #3. If Wolf passes on A and drafts B and then B is a bust while A is a success, does Wolf get fired? Ditto for the bag option.

JJ doesn't have the ability to become a star, he's another limited player propped up by the talent around him.

I won't change my mind if the Patriots draft him, he's Mac Jones 2.0 to me, if they draft him it's more being stuck in the past and still thinking defense and running game and managing the game still wins in 2024.

I would rather swing on the Maye/Daniels talent with the higher bust potential, drafting a guy who can't play in the league is no different from drafting the 20th best QB in the league in 2024.

You're picking in the top 3 you're picking on upside and wow factor, safe game manager in the top 3 is madness.

…does Wolf get fired?

If Wolf takes JJ and he busts. Does Wolf get fired? The question can be turned around just as easily.

Answer is nobody knows for sure who will be the best QB of this class. Most scouts say Caleb Williams. But we're not in position to take him now are we?

Daniels isn’t going to be available. He should take MHJ but he won’t.

They will select a QB for no other reason than the sake of selecting a QB
QB is highest priority…I don’t think anyone can blame anyone if one of the top 3 is a bust….it really is a crapshoot. There’s no saying Williams won’t be another Murray or Lance….who knows but you have to take a chance because that is the teams #1 need….especially considering that next years draft doesn’t look nearly as good QB wise! A lot of good WR in this draft here this year….i love pearsall for us….can play anywhere and return kicks too

Trey Lance was a bust, but most other SF move seem to be working. Let’s see a body of work.

Well, here's a body that works. With a bust.

16751960917893 copy.jpg

Well, unless Kraft is going to take a bullet for Wolf, when the fans start getting upset, Wolf is going to become the sacrificial lamb. And it's not like he has a lot of ammo in his chamber to defend himself.
Kraft does not take a bullet for anybody
He hung out Brady in Deflategate
Hung out BB in “Dynasty”
Those two made him and his fortune.
If they get hung out then everyone else is fodder

If Wolf takes JJ and he busts. Does Wolf get fired? The question can be turned around just as easily.

Answer is nobody knows for sure who will be the best QB of this class. Most scouts say Caleb Williams. But we're not in position to take him now are we?
True! As others have pointed out, it's likely to depend on what the consensus is in the Patriots draft room. If Wolf bucks that and the consensus pick pans out, he's on thin ice. I've read and pondered comments on this thread, and I agree with several commenters who said it's likely he'll be judged over multiple drafts and free agency periods.

Re Caleb Williams, I'm not convinced he's going #1. And I think he will be a bust for a few reasons at least: size and demeanor. He just strikes me as weird, flakey -- a headcase. A young Dennis Rodman comes to mind, before the full crazy emerged. Rodman was a tremendous player for his niche, but became a liability later in his career. Can't have that in a QB and expect to win long term. But as you said, who knows for sure?

Wolf is getting fired anyway. He's on the 'Jon Kraft Fall Guy' list ahead of Mayo.
What makes you say that? I thought JK had tremendous influence over RK, so I don't see how he wouldn't be fully onboard the Wolf train.

JJ doesn't have the ability to become a star, he's another limited player propped up by the talent around him.

I won't change my mind if the Patriots draft him, he's Mac Jones 2.0 to me, if they draft him it's more being stuck in the past and still thinking defense and running game and managing the game still wins in 2024.

I would rather swing on the Maye/Daniels talent with the higher bust potential, drafting a guy who can't play in the league is no different from drafting the 20th best QB in the league in 2024.

You're picking in the top 3 you're picking on upside and wow factor, safe game manager in the top 3 is madness.
Can you elaborate on why you think JJ is unable to be a star? I'd pick Maye over JJ if he's available (don't think he will be), but I suspect Williams and Daniels will bust. I think Williams is too small and a headcase and that Daniels wiry build and reliance on movement will bounce him out of the league in a few years after a few injuries.

I don't think picking one of the consensus top QB's and seeing him flame out would get anyone fired. There would definitely be questions as to why he didn't pan out and whether you should have seen it coming and how to correct that kind of scouting in the future but there aren't any guarantees in the draft even if you're #1.

What would get someone fired (and has) is picking him and then watching him flame out because you drafted or signed pet projects to support your QB instead of real talent...or stupidity like say Matt Patricia offensive coordinator.

Can you elaborate on why you think JJ is unable to be a star? I'd pick Maye over JJ if he's available (don't think he will be), but I suspect Williams and Daniels will bust. I think Williams is too small and a headcase and that Daniels wiry build and reliance on movement will bounce him out of the league in a few years after a few injuries.
I think JJ McCarthy has had amazing coaching and is very Mac Jones like, he's coming into the NFL with all the intangibles people love to rant about all the "winner" crap that doesn't matter but with a skillset that is much closer to complete and has already been cleaned up by quality coaching than someone like Drake Maye who is inconsistent with messy footwork that has massive room for improvement when it's cleaned up and he's better coached.

I think JJ McCarthy is just going to be another guy who comes in and looks decent for a rookie but that's just what he is.

Safe game managers will high IQ doesn't win in 2024, he lacks psychical ability to be an top 10 QB.

I think Drake Maye is more likely to be unable to play than JJ McCarthy but way more likely to become a top 8 quarterback, i think there's not much difference between drafting a bust and a lower third QB when you get 2/3 years down the line both are needing replaced anyway so i would swing big at whoever is left out of Daniels/Maye and have no interest in JJ.

I've watched way too much Michigan football to buy into the JJ McCarthy draft hype, i think he's a 2nd/3rd round talent, i wouldn't touch McCarthy or Nix and think if the Patriots do Wolf and Mayo won't last 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time. Just yesterday I was thinking about folks saying that JJ had won at every level, but I’m sure Mac Jones did too. At least Maye had to deal with a garbage O-line. Tough to improve on your footwork when running for your life.

Isn’t arm strength one of the differences from Mac?

All three have the athletic talent to be great, and any of them could turn out to be head cases that flame out. Nobody has any idea..

The most important thing is that whoever we take isn't thrown into a bad situation. That means if we take Daniels, we need to commit to sitting him until we can field functional offense. That probably means all of next season and maybe a few games into the next. We're not likely to get everything we need out of this draft, though I'm hopeful we'll make progress.

Ironically, it's going to be McCarthy who looks like the best of the bunch after his rookie year if Minnesota sells the farm and takes him. As we've learned, that doesn't mean anything about their long-term prospects.

All three have the athletic talent to be great, and any of them could turn out to be head cases that flame out. Nobody has any idea..

The most important thing is that whoever we take isn't thrown into a bad situation. That means if we take Daniels, we need to commit to sitting him until we can field functional offense. That probably means all of next season and maybe a few games into the next. We're not likely to get everything we need out of this draft, though I'm hopeful we'll make progress.

Ironically, it's going to be McCarthy who looks like the best of the bunch after his rookie year if Minnesota sells the farm and takes him. As we've learned, that doesn't mean anything about their long-term prospects.
It will be hard to build around a new QB if Minnesota, or any other team, sells the farm to draft him. It really highlights how amazing it is that San Fran didn't completely implode. Not only did they miss on their QB of the future, they lost all of the draft picks that could have been used to make the the team even better. I think that you see some impact in their salary cap where they needed to keep some high priced veterans that would have been replaced by young draftees. Lynch owes Jimmy G a lifetime of free beers for sweeping the mess under the carpet until Purdy came along.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back