PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If We Pick At 15

I won't put it past BB to take him...thinking back to Ty Warren at 13. Barmore > Warren

Why is barmore attending the draft? Does his agent have a guarantee from a team that he will go in round 1.

I won't put it past BB to take him...thinking back to Ty Warren at 13. Barmore > Warren
I disagree. It wasn’t unthinkable for the Pats to select Warren that high. Before they traded up one spot with the Bears to take Warren, he was mocked to go to the Pats at 14 by draft pundits like Scott Wright of Draft Countdown and the late Dr. Z of Sports Illustrated.

Barmore is being overrated as the best in a weak draft class for the DI position. Still very raw and may not make an immediate impact. Would much rather bring in someone like Sheldon Richardson than spend the 15 on Barmore when there are better prospects at other positions likely to be available.

I disagree. It wasn’t unthinkable for the Pats to select Warren that high. Before they traded up one spot with the Bears to take Warren, he was mocked to go to the Pats at 14 by draft pundits like Scott Wright of Draft Countdown and the late Dr. Z of Sports Illustrated.

Barmore is being overrated as the best in a weak draft class for the DI position. Still very raw and may not make an immediate impact. Would much rather bring in someone like Sheldon Richardson than spend the 15 on Barmore when there are better prospects at other positions likely to be available.
I have a lot of respect for Gil Brandt's evaluations...he's got him as the 25th best player this year and that's good enough for me and he says this:

Barmore is going to be a dangerous threat as a defensive tackle.

Why is barmore attending the draft? Does his agent have a guarantee from a team that he will go in round 1.
There it is, the league thinks he's a first rounder and he's my Patriots pick. He dominated and was the defensive MVP of the championship vs Oho State.

The anticipation leading up to the draft is growing day by day.
I don't follow the NCAA so my excitement comes after the draft when I get to see them play in the NYFL.

The only thing I'm excited about is what will happen if Lawrence is a bust. That would be funny after all the sure thing talk.

I don't follow the NCAA so my excitement comes after the draft when I get to see them play in the NYFL.

The only thing I'm excited about is what will happen if Lawrence is a bust. That would be funny after all the sure thing talk.

I'm trying to remember if there's been a "can't miss" QB coming out that really just bombed. I mean, there's always guys who are expected to go #1, but it's with less fanfare. Luck was can't miss and aside from injuries lived up to that. Peyton as well, though there was some debate between him and Leaf (which was laughable in the end). Am I missing someone?

I'm trying to remember if there's been a "can't miss" QB coming out that really just bombed. I mean, there's always guys who are expected to go #1, but it's with less fanfare. Luck was can't miss and aside from injuries lived up to that. Peyton as well, though there was some debate between him and Leaf (which was laughable in the end). Am I missing someone?
Like I said, I don't follow the NCAA so I can't answer your question.

Like I said, I don't follow the NCAA so I can't answer your question.

Oh, it was more hypothetical question out to the aether. Didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Mel Kiper's list of his top-10 highest-graded QBs ever is as good a place as any to help answer your question. His list (in order) is as follows:

1. John Elway
2. Andrew Luck
3. Peyton Manning
4. Trevor Lawrence
5. Jim Kelly
6. Andre Ware
7. Drew Bledsoe
8. Ryan Leaf
9. Troy Aikman
10. Josh Allen

Depends on where you want to draw the "can't miss" line, but, to me, it's hard to draw the line any lower than Trevor Lawrence. Kelly and Ware were such "can't misses" that they went outside the top 5 after the likes of Todd Blackledge and Jeff George, respectively. So, I would say that the answer to your question is NO (at least since 1979, which is where Kiper's list starts).

Jamarcus Russell, as I recall, was amazing in all of his workouts and had a fine college career. He might not have been a "can't miss" since he was rumored even then to be not a hard worker, but nobody was laughing at him being picked #1. We all started laughing soon, though.

Paye or Collins. Would be happy with either.

I welcome either. BPA is my preference, but OT & CB are of particular interest because they usually come with a hefty pay tag and in the first round, those positions are surer things than QBs, historically.

BPA is pretty good, but I prefer other suspected carcinogens. I hear this draft class is deep and there will be toxic materials well into the early 3rd round.

Gil Brandt has updated Barmore to number 35 overall now so he may be a second rounder after all.

Gil Brandt has updated Barmore to number 35 overall now so he may be a second rounder after all.
There's no way that Brandt has the stamina (or even the eyesight) to watch the film required to be making the independent assessments that made him a famous draft evaluator in the 19th Century. He's just aggregating the people that he works with now at the NFL Network.

MY LIST OF PLAYERS GONE IF WE PICK AT 15
5 QB's
1 TE - Pitts
2 OT - Slater, Sewell
3 WR - Chase, Smith, Waddle
2 CB - Surtain, Horn
1 LB - Parsons
==================
Almost every media board has us picking one of the players above, or trading down. I guess that we would lucky to get any of these 14.

Kraft hinted that solving the qb situation going forward is a goal in this draft, according to what reiss of espn wrote.

so if the top 5 qb’s are off the board early, and we did not get one, what is our strategy to accomplish this mission?

Kraft hinted that solving the qb situation going forward is a goal in this draft, according to what reiss of espn wrote.

so if the top 5 qb’s are off the board early, and we did not get one, what is our strategy to accomplish this mission?
1) trade for Jimmy
2) trade for someone else
3) trade down and draft one of the 2nd tier QB's late in the first (probably Mills)

1) trade for Jimmy
2) trade for someone else
3) trade down and draft one of the 2nd tier QB's late in the first (probably Mills)
And if bb can not find a willing trade partner are we really putting our faith in a tier 2 qb with 11 career starts?

Last edited:
Isn't it well enough known by now?
I think it’s known to long time posters here but I’m sure there are newer fans who wouldn’t know it.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back