PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is the end of days.. do you sell off assets?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you trade off key assets if the playoffs are looking unlikely?

• Hell Yes - The NFL is not sentimental

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Yes, within limits - #12 stays a Patriot for life

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Maybe - if blown away by the offer

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No - Regroup for one more run next year

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
4673696.jpg

I don't believe we have many players that any team would have any desire to trade for. Outside of Gronk, Brady and Gilmore, who are these "good players" you would be unwilling to part with?
Exactly.

And now, the end is near
And so the Pats face the final curtain
My friends, I'll say it clear
I'll state their case, of which I'm certain
They've lived a football life that's full
They've traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this
they did it Bill's way

Well they are in need of CBs. Kupp or Woods for Rowe straight up!

Maybe while we're at it we can send Dorsett and Michel to Pittsburgh for Bell and AB

No, **** that, go down with the ship. Don't care if it sets the eventual rebuild--which I'm nowhere near convinced is here--back a couple years. Brady is a Patriot end of story.

Do you really think Brady would get much for a trade?

He's 41. Every game he starts is some sort of record for oldest QB. I don't think he's close to done, but you can't expect a team to wager their future on a guy that old

If at the NFL Trading Deadline (October 30) the Patriots look unlikely to make a serious playoff push do you do the unthinkable and trade key assets.
Are you the brother of Mosslost?

Maybe while we're at it we can send Dorsett and Michel to Pittsburgh for Bell and AB

He's 41. Every game he starts is some sort of record for oldest QB. I don't think he's close to done, but you can't expect a team to wager their future on a guy that old

I think this undervalues the number of teams that are being held back by terrible quarterbacking. There are multiple teams that would become prohibitive SB favorites tomorrow if they had a good QB. Yeah it would be a short term rental, but there are plenty of teams that would pay up I think. I could definitely be wrong though.

Last edited:

I could see Jacksonville wanting him, they have the best talent in the NFL but are missing a quality qb.

I think this undervalues the number of teams that are being held back by terrible quarterbacking. There are multiple teams that would become prohibitive SB favorites tomorrow if they had a good QB. Yeah it would be a short term rental, but there are plenty of teams that would pay up I think. I could definitely be wrong though.
One would have to think that Brady would bring a second rounder at worst. I think a second is pretty realistic. You’re probably right that he may not bring a first rounder, at least any longer.

Obviously, we don’t want to entertain that thought for another minute, though. Hopefully, he continues his career at least one year past his deal, plays through the 2020 season, and retires a Pat.

A consideration in all of this is that the Pats are about 3.5 million under the salary cap.. despite what Felger says the "cap is not crap"...

Even if the Pats were to move Brady (stupid idea) they would have to replace him, and the costs of QB's has gone through the roof..

Aside from Brady there is not a lot of high value trade possibilities here, is the 30th or 60th draft pick enough value to change this team??

A consideration in all of this is that the Pats are about 3.5 million under the salary cap.. despite what Felger says the "cap is not crap"...

Even if the Pats were to move Brady (stupid idea) they would have to replace him, and the costs of QB's has gone through the roof..

Aside from Brady there is not a lot of high value trade possibilities here, is the 30th or 60th draft pick enough value to change this team??

They have the capital this coming year to move into the top 10 if they would like. There's going to be some pretty intriguing prospects. I like Herbert out of Oregon. Kid's a stud. But if he keeps on his current trajectory, he'll be the #1 overall pick. I really wish the Browns didn't pull their heads out of their behinds and take Mayfield #1 overall. He would have been the PERFECT heir apparent to Brady.

Where’s the suit ray?

So, if they are under performing we dump the good players?? So Bill can draft new ones?

You don't trade the players that have been performing is my only exception - regardless of price tag. For example, regardless of if we do well the rest of the season, the defense will never be a strength. So if we get good deals for Devin McCourty and Dont'a Hightower, we should take it, PROVIDED that they continue to suck. But for players that are usually good, like Gilmore, Chung, Flowers (we better pay him), White, Harmon, Brady (we aren't trading him), OLine, etc. we stick with them regardless. Players that are in the middle, such as Hogan, Rowe, Burkhead, are players I wouldn't significantly miss.

DMac is 2nd on the team in total tackles, 3rd in solo tackles. He's allowed 3 catches on 4 targets for 27 total yards in coverage.

First Off, the Pats are still going to win the AFC East...

Secondly, if your premise is that BB has drafted so badly that the team can't compete, why in world would you want to dump the proven players, just to give BB more draft picks that he can miss on?

Thirdly, the only one worth trading would be Gronk, and he says he is not going anywhere.

The O-line will be fine, the defense needs some help, mainly at LB. This was known last year, and nothing was done about it. a decent pass rush would solve many of the Pats problems, of course nobody trades away pass rushers (except Gruden and BB). The Pats are 3-0 if they made the Mack trade.

I’m sure the concept is burying money in 2020-2022 in backloaded deals to stock the current roster, ensuring you’ll be terrible in 2/3 years to be loaded now. I think some of the Pats roster building to this point precludes that as they don’t have a surplus of young, high-draft pick talent and tend to carry a larger salary load in the middle and bottom of the roster than other franchises, but it’s certainly one way of doing NFL business. It’s just not what NE does.

The Pats method led to (semi-legitimate) 16-0 prognostications in 2015-2017 because of how loaded and deep the roster was...so they maybe know what they’re doing? That being said the 2018 team definitely lacks those same qualities and I will admit personally I just assumed they’d figure it out. They still might, but all the skill position offensively are light and the defensive groups all look a year or two past their prime (and their prime was passable, not great). The years it catches up with them look like 2009 and 2013.

In 2018, the minimum salary scale (based on years of experience) is:

0 (rookie) = $480k
1 = $555k
2 = $630k
3 = $705k

4-6 = $790k ($630k on a 1-year vet minimum deal)
7-9 = $915k ($630k on a 1-year vet minimum deal)
10+ = $1.015M ($630k on a 1-year vet minimum deal)

The Pats currently have $3.55M in cap space, and are still liable for LTBE bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back