PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is the end of days.. do you sell off assets?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you trade off key assets if the playoffs are looking unlikely?

• Hell Yes - The NFL is not sentimental

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Yes, within limits - #12 stays a Patriot for life

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Maybe - if blown away by the offer

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No - Regroup for one more run next year

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were people starting these kinds of threads back in 2012, when we started 1-2? I honestly don’t remember.

Seems like the panic has reached a new level. I think NE’s basement is 10-6, maybe 9-7 this year. That doesn’t seem worthy of dismantling the entire team. We’ve had similar seasons in ‘02, ‘05, and ‘09.

Were people starting these kinds of threads back in 2012, when we started 1-2? I honestly don’t remember.

Seems like the panic has reached a new level. I think NE’s basement is 10-6, maybe 9-7 this year. That doesn’t seem worthy of dismantling the entire team. We’ve had similar seasons in ‘02, ‘05, and ‘09.
I think the panic is due to Tom’s age.

If Tom doesn’t have any steep decline, then why rebuild and start over? Keep reloading until we get the roster right.

We’ve been at least within reach of a SB every year, why mess that up?

Yes. It was even worse after the KC game in 2014. Curiously, these types of threads weren't that rampant in 2009 even though the team was going 10-6. For whatever reason, people thought that team was better than it actually was.

That was then...This is Now.

So let’s compare this team from last year. Offense:

Edelman and Gordon in, DA and Cooks out. (Still unknown which will prove to be better. Cooks looks great but wasn’t his best late last year.)

Solder in, Brown out. (Brown has higher ceiling, but Solder has been more steady. Could potentially be a wash.)

Lewis out, Michel in. (So far looks like quite a downgrade. But give Michel a chance if the offense opens up.)

Defense:

DL: Branch out. Clayborn, Shelton in. (Obviously neither signing has looked good so far, but it’s not like we lost anything. There’s no where else to go from last year but up, hope both improve.)

LB: Harris out, Bentley and Hightower in. (Hightower looks slow, but it’s not like he looks any worse than Harris did last year. Also Bentley is a plus addition.)

DB: Butler out, J-Mac, young CB’s in. (Butler was not as good last year. Plus more potential in the current depth, so can’t quite say the secondary is much worse in terms of personnel.)

All in all, it’s not like there’s THAT huge of differences on the roster from last year. If we can get some of the guys we brought in to replace the old players to execute better, things could improve in a hurry. Let’s hope they figure it out.

Yes. It was even worse after the KC game in 2014. Curiously, these types of threads weren't that rampant in 2009 even though the team was going 10-6. For whatever reason, people thought that team was better than it actually was.
Revis and Browner getting added into the secondary brought some crazy expectations.

So let’s compare this team from last year. Offense:

Edelman and Gordon in, DA and Cooks out. (Still unknown which will prove to be better. Cooks looks great but wasn’t his best late last year.)

Solder in, Brown out. (Brown has higher ceiling, but Solder has been more steady. Could potentially be a wash.)

Lewis out, Michel in. (So far looks like quite a downgrade. But give Michel a chance if the offense opens up.)

Defense:

DL: Branch out. Clayborn, Shelton in. (Obviously neither signing has looked good so far, but it’s not like we lost anything. There’s no where else to go from last year but up, hope both improve.)

LB: Harris out, Bentley and Hightower in. (Hightower looks slow, but it’s not like he looks any worse than Harris did last year. Also Bentley is a plus addition.)

DB: Butler out, J-Mac, young CB’s in. (Butler was not as good last year. Plus more potential in the current depth, so can’t quite say the secondary is much worse in terms of personnel.)

All in all, it’s not like there’s THAT huge of differences on the roster from last year. If we can get some of the guys we brought in to replace the old players to execute better, things could improve in a hurry. Let’s hope they figure it out.
They may not figure it out this year, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t make improvements in the offseason. Brady is obviously still a franchise QB that you can build around.

Trade away good players now so we can find some ****ty players next year! That’s the ticket!

I don't believe we have many players that any team would have any desire to trade for. Outside of Gronk, Brady and Gilmore, who are these "good players" you would be unwilling to part with?

Tom was 31

There wasn’t as much urgency to load up for a final run. He can’t play forever, and without some MAJOR changes this could be a wasted year.

Lets recoup the traded away draft picks used to acquire HC NYJ 19 years ago.
I believe Jerry is ready to buy a BB for his Cowboys
Cost: All of Dallas' #2's for the next 19 years
Given BB's <25% hit rate on #2's, Dallas's real cost would be negligible

The Rams would trade their entire draft for Devin McCourty and any other former pro bowl selection.

Tom was 31

There wasn’t as much urgency to load up for a final run. He can’t play forever, and without some MAJOR changes this could be a wasted year.
This is why I thought the last few offseasons have been bizarre. Brady only has a few years left. They should’ve went all out like the Rams. For the GOAT’s last years, I wouldn’t care about the cap.

If they don’t make the playoffs, I expect a major overhaul.

The question of this thread relates to the in-season trade deadline, Oct 30, which is after 5 more games. Unless NE is 1-7 and Miami is 8-0, I don't see how anyone would know that they are even incapable of winning the division. My guess: 9-7 would win the division.

This is why I thought the last few offseasons have been bizarre. Brady only has a few years left. They should’ve went all out like the Rams. For the GOAT’s last years, I wouldn’t care about the cap.

How do you propose getting around the cap???

How do you propose getting around the cap???
I’m sure the concept is burying money in 2020-2022 in backloaded deals to stock the current roster, ensuring you’ll be terrible in 2/3 years to be loaded now. I think some of the Pats roster building to this point precludes that as they don’t have a surplus of young, high-draft pick talent and tend to carry a larger salary load in the middle and bottom of the roster than other franchises, but it’s certainly one way of doing NFL business. It’s just not what NE does.

The Pats method led to (semi-legitimate) 16-0 prognostications in 2015-2017 because of how loaded and deep the roster was...so they maybe know what they’re doing? That being said the 2018 team definitely lacks those same qualities and I will admit personally I just assumed they’d figure it out. They still might, but all the skill position offensively are light and the defensive groups all look a year or two past their prime (and their prime was passable, not great). The years it catches up with them look like 2009 and 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back