PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is the end of days.. do you sell off assets?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you trade off key assets if the playoffs are looking unlikely?

• Hell Yes - The NFL is not sentimental

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Yes, within limits - #12 stays a Patriot for life

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Maybe - if blown away by the offer

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No - Regroup for one more run next year

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is untradeable for a lot of reasons, among them I believe a $7M cap hit against the Patriots.

The NFL doesn’t have the kind of trade deadline that there is in other sports. You don’t see a frenzy at the deadline and the salary cap is one reason why. So it’s not easy to have a fire sale like you see in other sports, not that we should expect the Pats to be in that position.

Buy..... Buy..... Buy.......
I wish the NFL trading deadline was more like the MLB trade deadline. This may be Larry Fitz last year...... yes I said it.
Go get Larry Fitz.

Maybe he can rush the quarterback when he is not catching touchdown passes.

The premise aside...does any NFL team trade away potential long term players at the deadline? Seems that the majority of these trades involve players that are half a season away from leaving as a free agent anyway.

If at the NFL Trading Deadline (October 30) the Patriots look unlikely to make a serious playoff push do you do the unthinkable and trade key assets.

What assets would those be?

Gronk—basically pigeon holed the team and has threatened to retire rather than be traded.

Brady— 41

Hightower— Looks horrible

Gilmore—- asset

Edelman—Wrong side of 30 coming off a ACL injury and suspension

Dorsett/Hogan —-Can’t get open

Burkhead—Always injured

Flowers—- asset FA next year

Is there anyone else on this roster a asset that’s going to net you anything for a rebuild?

IMO Nope!!

If they tried to trade Gronk in the offseason, I wouldn’t put it passed them. If they don’t make the playoffs, I expect a major overhaul.

Oh for cripes sakes...

Edit - this is the one time I would choose the dumb "Ray Lewis killed a guy." choice on the poll, but it isn't there.

I don't think it's dumb that Ray Lewis killed a guy and escaped punishment.:confused:

You don't trade the players that have been performing is my only exception - regardless of price tag. For example, regardless of if we do well the rest of the season, the defense will never be a strength. So if we get good deals for Devin McCourty and Dont'a Hightower, we should take it, PROVIDED that they continue to suck. But for players that are usually good, like Gilmore, Chung, Flowers (we better pay him), White, Harmon, Brady (we aren't trading him), OLine, etc. we stick with them regardless. Players that are in the middle, such as Hogan, Rowe, Burkhead, are players I wouldn't significantly miss.

You don't trade the players that have been performing is my only exception - regardless of price tag. For example, regardless of if we do well the rest of the season, the defense will never be a strength. So if we get good deals for Devin McCourty and Dont'a Hightower, we should take it, PROVIDED that they continue to suck. But for players that are usually good, like Gilmore, Chung, Flowers (we better pay him), White, Harmon, Brady (we aren't trading him), OLine, etc. we stick with them regardless. Players that are in the middle, such as Hogan, Rowe, Burkhead, are players I wouldn't significantly miss.
Flowers injury will help keep the price tag down. If he gets less than his usual 6-8 sacks, he’ll be easy to keep.

archive.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore