PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"If the playoffs started today..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of the end of the Pats win over ATL last night, PIT, KCY and NE are tied on overall record at 5-2.

PIT is #1 by virtue of its win over KCY and its better conference record than NE (4-1 v. 2-1). And KCY is #2 by virtue of its win over NE.

That is hilarious. Know whose website this is from?

The NFL. LOL

EDIT: Wait... are you guys sure? Pitt wins the 3-way, so they're #1. But then doesn't it revert to head-to-head for KC and NE? All the other websites show the Pats as #3. FWIW.

It's a good question if you rank them based on conference record or if you only take 1 and then reset.

I'm going to assume all get ranked, because of the way it is worded. It would make no sense to emphasize that H2H makes no difference unless all 3 played each other. After all, imagine if Pitt lost to KC, and KC hadn't yet played New England, and yet Pitt would have the higher %. Pitt would get the first bye still despite H2H against KC.

UPDATE: It appears they very well reset after taking one, but that's not on the NFL's rule page for tiebreakers. In fact, the NFL page only addresses division ties and wild cards. LOL.

Last edited:
Have you seen them play?

I've seen them against the Jags and Bear; I've also seen them against KC. They can be good; they can be trash.

My concern is that their schedule is much, much, much softer than ours from now until 12/17.

It's a good question if you rank them based on conference record or if you only take 1 and then reset.
I reread the tie breaker procedures and discovered where my error is. This statement above is correct; you can only take 1 team from any tiebreaking step and then it resets for everyone else.

So with a 3 team tie as things currently stand, H2H gets thrown out the window (at first). Pittsburgh wins the conference record so they become #1 seed. It then resets for NE and KC, at which point KC takes #2 based on their H2H victory.
I'm going to assume all get ranked, because of the way it is worded. It would make no sense to emphasize that H2H makes no difference unless all 3 played each other. After all, imagine if Pitt lost to KC, and KC hadn't yet played New England, and yet Pitt would have the higher %. Pitt would get the first bye still despite H2H against KC.
I believe that in your scenario here, that would indeed be the case. Pittsburgh would be the #1 seed despite having lost to KC.

I've seen them against the Jags and Bear; I've also seen them against KC. They can be good; they can be trash.

My concern is that their schedule is much, much, much softer than ours from now until 12/17.
How do you figure that? Our schedule is not hard.

They could easily lose to Titans, Packers, Lions, Division games. They play down to their opponents.

Chargers, Broncos should be w's. No if, and, but's about it. Brady has had Steelers number.

How do you figure that? Our schedule is not hard.

Really?

Chargers are the hottest team in the NFL right now;
Bronco's in Denver is almost always a hard time;
Then we have to travel to Mexico and hope Gronk stays away from Tequila and hookers the night before the game;
the next three games after that are against division opponents and include the dreaded back to back road games.
Hardly a cake walk.

They could easily lose to Titans, Packers, Lions, Division games. They play down to their opponents.

Chargers, Broncos should be w's. No if, and, but's about it. Brady has had Steelers number.

Titans are lousy;
Packers would have been tough if they have Rodgers-they don't;
I have little to no faith in the Lions.

Really?

Chargers are the hottest team in the NFL right now;
Bronco's in Denver is almost always a hard time;
Then we have to travel to Mexico and hope Gronk stays away from Tequila and hookers the night before the game;
the next three games after that are against division opponents and include the dreaded back to back road games.
Hardly a cake walk.
SD is not the hottest team in the NFL, not even close. (Neither are the LA chargers lol)
Denver has no offense.
The raiders are 3 consecutive penalty calls away from being 2-5.
Division games in our division this year are a cakewalk.

SD is not the hottest team in the NFL, not even close. (Neither are the LA chargers lol)
Denver has no offense.
The raiders are 3 consecutive penalty calls away from being 2-5.
Division games in our division this year are a cakewalk.

If the Chargers were able to kick field goals and didn't get so many "delay of game" penalties, they would probably be 6-1 right now.

You mean the Cleveland Browns still have a chance for first seed?! Let's go!
th

If the Chargers were able to kick field goals and didn't get so many "delay of game" penalties, they would probably be 6-1 right now.
The chargers are 3-4

The chargers are 3-4

They lost to Denver by a FG (blocked FG);
They lost to Dolphin by 2 points (missed FG);
They lost to Eagles by 2 points (ok, no missed FG's there--ok, so they could be 5-2)

They lost to Denver by a FG (blocked FG);
They lost to Dolphin by 2 points (missed FG);
They lost to Eagles by 2 points (ok, no missed FG's there--ok, so they could be 5-2)
They are 3-4. Coulda shoulda woulda is worthless.

They are 3-4. Coulda shoulda woulda is worthless.
That's fair, but if that's the direction you're going to go then you have to concede that the AFC East competition is tough this year, not the "cakewalk" 6 wins you stated above.

That's fair, but if that's the direction you're going to go then you have to concede that the AFC East competition is tough this year, not the "cakewalk" 6 wins you stated above.

AFC East is 12-6 in intra-division games, which is by far the best record of any division. To this point in the season, the AFCE is easily the strongest division.

Why? The rest of the AFCE not really any better than the Chargers.
None will finish better than 8-8 if they even get there.

Carr's back
Texans have their QB
Luck apparently had a setback and won't be back for a while
Oakland's got a tough schedule, so they really need to win the next two games (Buf, Mia)
Jacksonville has Cleveland, SF, and Arizona without Palmer on the schedule, which should get them to 7 wins as a minimum, before looking at the more competitive teams

Penciled in, as of today:

Patriots
Steelers
Chiefs
Texans

Below that is a group that hasn't separated themselves for the wild cards, and don't count out the Jags.

The Jags have a much easier schedule left and already waxed the Texans in Houston, pre-Watson. Houston has @ Seattle, @ LA Rams, @ Titans, @ Jags and Pitt at home. The Jags play Seattle at home, Houston at home and Titans on the road. No other beasts on the road for them. I think they have the inside track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe