PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"If the playoffs started today..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver has no offense.

I want us to win and feel we're the better team by far, but anyone who feels confident about us going to Mile High isn't exactly a student of history.

YES EVERY YEAR IS DIFFERENT but there's no denying Mile High is a house of horrors for us.

The Jags have a much easier schedule left and already waxed the Texans in Houston, pre-Watson. Houston has @ Seattle, @ LA Rams, @ Titans, @ Jags and Pitt at home. The Jags play Seattle at home, Houston at home and Titans on the road. No other beasts on the road for them. I think they have the inside track.

I like their schedule, and the Texans injuries are big. I just don't trust Bortles enough to pencil them in over anyone right now. Two weeks from now (Bengals/Chargers) I could be more of a believer.

I like their schedule, and the Texans injuries are big. I just don't trust Bortles enough to pencil them in over anyone right now. Two weeks from now (Bengals/Chargers) I could be more of a believer.
They have a very interesting formula. They are like last years Texans, only they are better running the football. Not to mention Bortles, while mediocre, is at least better than Brock.

They could seriously win 11 games with a bit more consistency.

They have a very interesting formula. They are like last years Texans, only they are better running the football. Not to mention Bortles, while mediocre, is at least better than Brock.

They could seriously win 11 games with a bit more consistency.

I hear you.

Bengals
Chargers
@Browns
@Cardinals
Colts
Seahawks
Texans
@49ers
@Titans

3 very easy road games
Colts might not have Luck back, and can't pass block at much above high school level

It's a very easy schedule. They've been a whole lot of boom/bust though.

Blow out Pre-Watson Texans/Get torched by Titans
Blow out Ravens/Lose to untalented Jets
Blow out Steelers/Lose by 10 to Rams
Blow out Luckless Colts

It wouldn't shock me if they won the next 5, but it also wouldn't shock me if they lost the next 2, and headed to Cleveland with a losing record.

The Jags have a much easier schedule left and already waxed the Texans in Houston, pre-Watson. Houston has @ Seattle, @ LA Rams, @ Titans, @ Jags and Pitt at home. The Jags play Seattle at home, Houston at home and Titans on the road. No other beasts on the road for them. I think they have the inside track.
Even though Tennessee has looked mediocre lately, they even have a fair shot due to them having a very soft schedule upcoming as well.

Remaining schedule is: Ravens Bengals Steelers Colts Texans Cardinals 49ers Rams Jags.

Tennessee has not played well as of late so could easily burn out despite the sched. BUT if Mariota gets healthier, and they get back to the formula they had last year, idk. That last game vs. Jacksonville could be for the division.

As for Houston, I love what Watson is doing, and they are absolutely still in it. I just think their schedule is damn tough, and those defensive losses will show as the season wears on.

Something to think about, just based on where we sit today.

We could get two legitimate playoff teams out of the AFCS.

I hear you.

Bengals
Chargers
@Browns
@Cardinals
Colts
Seahawks
Texans
@49ers
@Titans

3 very easy road games
Colts might not have Luck back, and can't pass block at much above high school level

It's a very easy schedule. They've been a whole lot of boom/bust though.

Blow out Pre-Watson Texans/Get torched by Titans
Blow out Ravens/Lose to untalented Jets
Blow out Steelers/Lose by 10 to Rams
Blow out Luckless Colts

It wouldn't shock me if they won the next 5, but it also wouldn't shock me if they lost the next 2, and headed to Cleveland with a losing record.
Honestly, the only truly ugly loss for them has been the Titans game.

The Jets are low on talent, but they are pesky. We know that. They should've won that game had it not for a late drop.

The Rams are actually pretty good this year, so losing to 10 vs. them on the road (LA is pretty far from JAX) is respectable. Lost that game on 2 ST TD's.

So that's why I can definitely see Jacksonville winning much more consistently down the stretch. We shall see.

Something to think about, just based on where we sit today.

We could get two legitimate playoff teams out of the AFCS.
Oh I think it's very possible. Wild card picture is wide open in the AFC. Predictable candidates for playoff spots like Denver and Baltimore are falling by the wayside.

Why? The rest of the AFCE not really any better than the Chargers.
None will finish better than 8-8 if they even get there.
You're trying to have it both ways. With the Chargers you are saying they are 3-4, no woulda coulda shoulda about it. OK that's fine, but then 2 teams in the AFC East are a very respectable 4-2 and you're saying "oh, just ignore the record, they're not that good."

You're trying to have it both ways. With the Chargers you are saying they are 3-4, no woulda coulda shoulda about it. OK that's fine, but then 2 teams in the AFC East are a very respectable 4-2 and you're saying "oh, just ignore the record, they're not that good."
No im not.
I'm saying excuses for why they lost does not make them a better team.
I'm saying the bills and Dolphins are not good teams and have taken advantage of a weak schedule to start well.
There is no conflict with those statements.

Oh I think it's very possible. Wild card picture is wide open in the AFC. Predictable candidates for playoff spots like Denver and Baltimore are falling by the wayside.
Quite possible, but there is a lot left that needs to be shaken out.

It looks like there are only 3 real contenders in the AFC. The Pats, Steelers and Chiefs are all legit Super Bowl contenders. After that, Miami, Buffalo, Houston, Jax, Tennesee, Denver, Oakland and LA all could slip into the playoffs.

This year has a 2002/2008 feel for me, there are going to be a whole lot of 9 - 7 teams jockeying for playoff position and some undeserving team is going to slip in based on tiebreakers. It also would not surprise me a bit if 8 wins takes the south and a 10 win team misses the playoffs elsewhere. At least this year the Patriots don't look to be the odd team out.

I want us to win and feel we're the better team by far, but anyone who feels confident about us going to Mile High isn't exactly a student of history.

YES EVERY YEAR IS DIFFERENT but there's no denying Mile High is a house of horrors for us.
We won there last year. And yes every year is different. What happened with different players in different years really isn't relevant.

Titans are lousy;
Packers would have been tough if they have Rodgers-they don't;
I have little to no faith in the Lions.

They tend to play down to opponents. On paper, they may be the most talented team in the NFL. You just don't know what team your getting on a weekly basis. In the last four years they've lost to the Browns, Bears, terrible 2014 Bucs, Jags,
Titans are lousy;
Packers would have been tough if they have Rodgers-they don't;
I have little to no faith in the Lions.

They've lost to the Mallet lead Ravens, Awful Browns team, McCown led bucs at home, Bears, Awful Raiders teams in the last four seasons. Miami 04, Browns in 2010 are the only games that stick out where a BB and TB led team lost to absolutely horrific teams.

Will they be favored in those games? Absolutely. Will they dominate? Eh....

Three weeks later...

As of October 23, 2017...

View attachment 18360

From #10 to #3... and only one game back of the top spot...

I'm excited too, but mathematically, let me remind you that

We started 5-2 in '62, '77, '84 & '08; and 6-2 in '79 & '99; 6-1 in '74 & '80; 5-1-1 in '64 and 4-2-1 in '66

...and missed the playoffs in all of those seasons.

We started 5-2 in '76 &'97, and 6-2 in '78 ...and lost in the divisional round.

Meanwhile,

We started 4-3 in '86 & '98 and made the playoffs, losing the first game.

And,

We started 4-3 in '63, '85, & '96...and made it to the league championship game.

We started 3-4 in '01 before going all the way with Tom,

and we started 3-4 in '88 when we were headed to the playoffs until Raymond Berry did what he always did - benched the starter, team leader and reason for our competitiveness in favor of Eason.

So, we still have some work to do, but if we stay relatively healthy, we really can make it to Minnesota in February. We're 1-0 in Super Bowls with JT as the halftime performer. No word if Janet Jackson - or Jessica Biel - will be there too.

Quite possible, but there is a lot left that needs to be shaken out.

It looks like there are only 3 real contenders in the AFC. The Pats, Steelers and Chiefs are all legit Super Bowl contenders. After that, Miami, Buffalo, Houston, Jax, Tennesee, Denver, Oakland and LA all could slip into the playoffs.

This year has a 2002/2008 feel for me, there are going to be a whole lot of 9 - 7 teams jockeying for playoff position and some undeserving team is going to slip in based on tiebreakers. It also would not surprise me a bit if 8 wins takes the south and a 10 win team misses the playoffs elsewhere. At least this year the Patriots don't look to be the odd team out.
Eh, I agree except there was a logjam of 11 win teams that year (hence why we missed at 11-5)

Everyone is a bit weaker this year. I think 10 wins will certainly be good enough for a playoff berth.

We won there last year. And yes every year is different. What happened with different players in different years really isn't relevant.

I wish someone would tell that Brady idiot that. Because he brings up our past issues on the road in Denver and Miami pretty regularly.

I don't get people who say it is too early to talk about standings and seedings.

To be fair, many of the people saying it was too early were speaking more about the ratio of time remaining to word count. I agree it is worth noting how things stand and how they could unfold, but your earlier thread on the subject went much deeper than the current situation calls for, IMO.

I wish someone would tell that Brady idiot that. Because he brings up our past issues on the road in Denver and Miami pretty regularly.
Of course he does it's his job to expect the opponent to play their best game against him.

No im not.
I'm saying excuses for why they lost does not make them a better team.
I'm saying the bills and Dolphins are not good teams and have taken advantage of a weak schedule to start well.
There is no conflict with those statements.
Both the Bills and Dolphins have each played 4 of 6 games against teams the Patriots have played. So if you want to say they have taken advantage of a weak schedule, then so has New England. The only game the Patriots have played which is noticeably harder than those 2 teams is the KC game which we lost.

You're trying to have it both ways.... but really, it's ok to admit LAC and our AFCE rivals are good teams. It won't kill you. I promise.

Both the Bills and Dolphins have each played 4 of 6 games against teams the Patriots have played. So if you want to say they have taken advantage of a weak schedule, then so has New England. The only game the Patriots have played which is noticeably harder than those 2 teams is the KC game which we lost.

You're trying to have it both ways.... but really, it's ok to admit LAC and our AFCE rivals are good teams. It won't kill you. I promise.
You can feel free to think whatever you want. I have explained what I think and there is no need to continue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes