PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"If the playoffs started today..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're 3 games behind KC, that's the only concern

i like #1 seeds, and going into arrowhead for a playoff game is not going to be fun, aside from that, i haven't watched any bills games so no idea if they're for real, i doubt they are, anyone in South and North not really an issue so...

just the West to worry about, and w/ Carr hurt, raiders regressing, Broncos known commodity long term we're good i think, assuming we improve this season like we improve on average every season

though i expect the improvement to be a lot more drastic this season b/c the floor is lower than usual lol

edit: i forgot about the Texans, it will take another 4-6 games, but if their new QB isn't slowed down after some game film, I predict they will be biggest challenge to SB (this year and the next 3), at least we have tie breaker over them tho

You mean the Cleveland Browns still have a chance for first seed?! Let's go!

The comeback from this is gonna be just as sweet as from 28-3. :)

I think our panic level is about at the 14-0 point now…which does not bode well for the Tampa game :eek:

At this point I'll be happy w AFC East title, a home game wildcard wknd, a win and then a divisional game...that was the haters can't objectively proclaim the Pats reign "dead", bonus points for another AFC title game...isn't it high time for this team to win a road playoff game?

I like that story... Brady takes worst defense in history to AFC title game... And wins a divisional game on the road to boot... GO PATS

we're 3 games behind KC, that's the only concern

i like #1 seeds, and going into arrowhead for a playoff game is not going to be fun, aside from that, i haven't watched any bills games so no idea if they're for real, i doubt they are, anyone in South and North not really an issue so...

just the West to worry about, and w/ Carr hurt, raiders regressing, Broncos known commodity long term we're good i think, assuming we improve this season like we improve on average every season

though i expect the improvement to be a lot more drastic this season b/c the floor is lower than usual lol

edit: i forgot about the Texans, it will take another 4-6 games, but if their new QB isn't slowed down after some game film, I predict they will be biggest challenge to SB (this year and the next 3), at least we have tie breaker over them tho

KC hasn't won a home playoff game since WW2...but I agree...not ideal

KC hasn't won a home playoff game since WW2...but I agree...not ideal

They beat Pittsburgh at home in January 94. Otherwise, you are correct.

Missing the playoffs isn't the end of the world. Sometimes that's the way it goes. That said, I have a hard time believing they don't win this division. I just can't fathom it. But again, life will go on.

It would be a four game season. What do I win?

By the way, for the Brady sack thread, if Buffalo continues at this pace, they'll be 12-4. See how that works?

Three weeks later...

View attachment 18360

From #10 to #3... and only one game back of the top spot...

Patriots should be #2 based on better conference record than KC (head to head gets thrown out in a 3-way tie unless one team has either beaten or lost to EACH other team).

EDIT: This is in error. Order is indeed Pit-KC-NE as things currently stand.

Last edited:
Three weeks later...

View attachment 18360

From #10 to #3... and only one game back of the top spot...

This is actually incorrect. The Patriots are now #2 based on conference win %.

The head-to-head rules only apply when all 3 teams have played each other.

So because New England hasn't played Pittsburgh, the loss to KC is thrown out.

This also means that the game against Pittsburgh might be crucial for the bye not only because Pittsburgh is our competition for one bye, but because a win against Pittsburgh cancels out the loss to KC should all 3 teams end up with, say, identical 12-4 records.

This is actually incorrect. The Patriots are now #2 based on conference win %.

The head-to-head rules only apply when all 3 teams have played each other.
Just to clarify, that’s not entirely accurate. What you need is one team to have beaten (or lost to) each other team.

So suppose KC beat NE and Pitt (but somehow still had a 5-2 record). KC takes #1 seed based on head to head even though NE hasn’t played Pittsburgh. Then you go to conference record for NE and Pit, which Pittsburgh leads in.

Of course, as you mentioned, NE does indeed play Pittsburgh later on so that’s certainly a big game.

I don't get people who say it is too early to talk about standings and seedings.

In sports like basketball, baseball or hockey you really start to take a long look at seedings when you have maybe 20 games left and start to look at what tie breakers you need and how many games you need to catch up.

The NFL due to pure lack of games means looking this early is more than acceptable. By week 11 or 12 you may already be in a spot where the bye is a pipe dream.

To me it is clear what the Pats have to do. Go 7-2 the rest of the way and beat Pitt. Do that and they are the first seed. Just 7-2 by itself may be enough. I don't think Pitt can go 12-4 with how bad Ben is playing. I think that D isn't near as good as it has looked. Also I think KC's O will fall off. Smith isn't this kind of player.

I don't get people who say it is too early to talk about standings and seedings.

In sports like basketball, baseball or hockey you really start to take a long look at seedings when you have maybe 20 games left and start to look at what tie breakers you need and how many games you need to catch up.

The NFL due to pure lack of games means looking this early is more than acceptable. By week 11 or 12 you may already be in a spot where the bye is a pipe dream.

To me it is clear what the Pats have to do. Go 7-2 the rest of the way and beat Pitt. Do that and they are the first seed. Just 7-2 by itself may be enough. I don't think Pitt can go 12-4 with how bad Ben is playing. I think that D isn't near as good as it has looked. Also I think KC's O will fall off. Smith isn't this kind of player.

Patriots are by far the toughest opponents left on the Steelers' schedule. If they beat us, I can't see them being worse than 12-4 (unless they turn in a few more performances like the one against the Jags).

Patriots are by far the toughest opponents left on the Steelers' schedule. If they beat us, I can't see them being worse than 12-4 (unless they turn in a few more performances like the one against the Jags).
Have you seen them play?

That is hilarious. Know whose website this is from?

The NFL. LOL

EDIT: Wait... are you guys sure? Pitt wins the 3-way, so they're #1. But then doesn't it revert to head-to-head for KC and NE? All the other websites show the Pats as #3. FWIW.
After reviewing the tie breakers rules, I admit I now think I was wrong and the Pats are indeed #3 as things currently sit.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, that’s not entirely accurate. What you need is one team to have beaten (or lost to) each other team.

So suppose KC beat NE and Pitt (but somehow still had a 5-2 record). KC takes #1 seed based on head to head even though NE hasn’t played Pittsburgh. Then you go to conference record for NE and Pit, which Pittsburgh leads in.

Of course, as you mentioned, NE does indeed play Pittsburgh later on so that’s certainly a big game.

Right. Correct. I'm not sure what the inaccuracy is though. You need all 3 teams to have played each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back