PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Pats lose this game at Denver, how bad would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The helmet catch was the worst but the old timers here will remember the 1976 playoff loss to the Raiders where referee Ben Dreith home-towned the Patriots out of the playoffs.

I think I'll be okay if this team goes down fighting (easy to say on Monday evening). But something about them reminds me of this year's Red Sox who, while not dominant, took on all comers and were just good enough to be the best.

naaaa, that was expected, maybe not quite so bad though.
That game did however scar me too, but not because of the loss.
What scarred me in that game, was when Grogan came in at the end when the Pats were backed up near their own endzone , score was 44-10 and he took a sack in the endzone...that put the # @ 6-0 when I was sitting on 4-0 in a 10k box in a square:eek: The game was a loss but I could have gotten something out of the misery....I saw Grogan coming in and and knew I was done, :eek: Eason would have scrambled out of there.
Can't remember though, I don't think Grogan started that drive, I'm pretty sure Eason did, was he taken out the play before after a hit?? or was it ineffectiveness???

Eason was pulled in the second quarter, having failed to complete a single pass.

Some say we overachieved this season. No way were we supposed to get a bye week and reach the AFC Championship with all the injuries we had. So in that sense, I'm very satisfied with the season we had.

BUT... if we were to win the Super Bowl this season, when we weren't "supposed" to... it might be better than any of the other Super Bowls we won. There's something about winning a championship as an underdog that makes it more special.

This year's team has so much heart. They're not nearly talented as 2007 or 2010. But man, they NEVER give up.

For me no way. We could very well be watching something special happening with this Patriot team this year but I can't take it over the 2001 team. That's the team where Pro Football Weekly said was "least likely in the NFL to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years"

And they did just that....and destroyed the Greatest Show on Turf to do so. Nothing will ever top that in my book.

Sucky idea for a thread. We have an event coming up that holds the potential for great joy, yet some people feel compelled to mull possible disappointment and compare it to disappointments past. I don't get it.

Especially since the dumb*ss refs screwed the pooch on Champ Bailey fumbling through the end zone when Ben Watson caught him. Should have been a touchback. Simms and Nantz (think it was them) diagrammed it on screen, there was no way the ball didn't go across a section of the end zone before going out of bounds. Another example of gutless refs giving the home team the advantage.

To further the sickening feeling of that game, I believe it was the final one played as a Patriot by my favorite LB of all time - - Willie Mac.

In his last game as a Pat - - there on national tv, he took a swing at Larry Izzo on the bench and the two had to be separated.

Yes, it was THAT bad a night.

Sucky idea for a thread. We have an event coming up that holds the potential for great joy, yet some people feel compelled to mull possible disappointment and compare it to disappointments past. I don't get it.

Don't be afraid.

There is no life without death.

There is no happiness without sadness.

And there is no victory without defeat.

It is the ying which completes the yang.

The sweetness of what they may accomplish exists because of the possibility of failure.

Your avatar would understand.

(I think he's the guy who invented Festivus and "The Airing of Grievances", no?)

Don't be afraid.

There is no life without death.

There is no happiness without sadness.

And there is no victory without defeat.

It is the ying which completes the yang.

The sweetness of what they may accomplish exists because of the possibility of failure.

Your avatar would understand.

(I think he's the guy who invented Festivus and "The Airing of Grievances", no?)

Here is what my avatar would say: "Worry not about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself. For if you worry about tomorrow and regret yesterday, you will miss out on the now -- giving rise to even greater worries and regrets."

I get what you are saying and don't disagree, that's a totally valid take, but some of us (I'm owning it in reference to my own post) are a "little nervous" perhaps and are using this thread in its own peculiar way to have a "catharsis." It's kind of healthy to share this, albeit evidently somewhat annoying to others. My apologies to you for that. Quite sincerely, the way I feel about next weekend is, having ridden with them into the abyss a few times, it makes it sweeter to watch them soar ... Which they will do Sunday and two weeks hence.

In case any of you were wondering...yes , I DID run down an interview with Ben Dreith done in the early nineties..he brazenly admitted, shamelessly, that yes, he DID intentionally screw the Pats in that AFCCG with the Raiders and went on record as being "a very good friend of Al Davis for many years". In 2002 on the Dennis and Callahan Show on EEI he reiterated this and stated he would make the same phantom call again if he was given the chance.

In case any of you were wondering...yes , I DID run down an interview with Ben Dreith done in the early nineties..he brazenly admitted, shamelessly, that yes, he DID intentionally screw the Pats in that AFCCG with the Raiders and went on record as being "a very good friend of Al Davis for many years". In 2002 on the Dennis and Callahan Show on EEI he reiterated this and stated he would make the same phantom call again if he was given the chance.

Joe, I'm absolutely shocked that you haven't been able to let that one go after 37 years. I read your post very quickly and, at first, thought you wrote that you "ran down Ben Dreith".

You always came off as such a "forgive and forget" kinda guy! :D

I want to add a game or two that few remember.

1). The utter humiliation of the Chargers destruction in the 1963 AFL Championship. It was the Bears Superbowl, 20 years ahead of time.

2) Drunken Joe Namath playing out of his mind, beating the Pats and ended the Pats trip to meet Lombardi and the Pack in the First Superbowl.

3) Ben Drieth's mysterious "Roughing the Passer" which overturned the Pats first legitimate shot at winning a Superbowl.

4) The Bears SuperBowl, and their 18 month gimmick "46 Defense".

But in reality being 30 seconds from 19-0, was the biggest disappointment by far.

The Helmet Catch holds a special place, but there was an acceptance that we were beaten fair and square. That eased the blow a tiny, tiny bit.

There was no such comfort in 2005 and 2006 when I felt the referees took the game from us.

The 76 game sounds like it may have been the worst of all.

THe 76 game was the worst for me, there was not only the phantom PI call there was a worse call prior to the Raiders getting the ball. Grogan threw a pass to R Francis that would have given the PAts a first down, the Raiders wouldn't have even gotten the ball.

Phil Villapino pinned Francis's arms to his side when he wrapped him up from behind. Grogans pass hit Francis in the chest and bounced to the ground a blantant PI call the ref swallowed the whistle.

This has me pondering all the heartbreaking losses we've had over the last several years, I feel like just going through them, why not

2005: Was really burnt out from the 3 SB wins. Really the only one that hurt at all was the Denver playoff game because it was the end of the historic run.
2006: The AFCCG really hurt. But I kinda saw it coming. There was just this feeling that Manning had to get his at some point, so I was bracing for it. I also remember there was a loss at Miami where we got shut out that had me steamed.
2007: SB 42. No other words need to be said other than that was the worst. Moving on.
2008:Even though Brady was out the whole year there were a couple. The infamous wildcat game probably still stands as one of the most shocking outcomes I've seen in recent memory. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I also remember a Thursday night game later that year when we lost to the Favre Jets in OT. That one was a crusher because we had come all the way back from a pretty large deficit and Moss had a crazy last second TD to send it into OT.
2009: Boy there were a few tough losses that year. There was the loss to McDaniels' Broncos, the infamous 4th and 2 game, and the WC game vs Baltimore when Baltimore went up 24-0 in like the first 5 minutes.
2010: Really just that Jets playoff game. But that loss was probably one of the worst I can remember. The Jets loudmouth fanbase actually had a credible reason to gloat at us for once, just what the world needed. :cool:
2011: Giants, SB 46. Might've been even worse than 42. I couldn't even bear the thought of it all happening again and it did. Oh, losing to Buffalo sucked too.
2012: Man our losses sucked that year. There was the two game stretch vs. Arizona and Baltimore when the refs jobbed us. (The Arizona game will always have a little spot in my heart becuase of the way we lost it.) The Ratbirds getting their revenge against us was beyond painful, but at least I saw it coming.
2013: I'd say this year the only one that really pained me was the Jets loss. I'm still saying WTF to that leap call on the FG.

Part of having an excellent franchise that rarely is completely out of a game is having several very heartbreaking losses. But I'd say it's been worth the trouble overall. :rocker:

Yeah, I know, just call me Mr. Positive. :yo:

If the Pats lose to the Broncos, how bad would it be?

Most painful playoff loss ever? No. We know what that is. :spygate:

Second most? No. That would be the 2011 version of the worst loss. For me anyhoo.

Third? Third would come out of a group of 2006, 2010, and last year. Could be in that group.

And would it be bad because it's another 'close but no cigar' for the Pats, or bad because it elevates Peyton? I don't really care about that aspect, but some seem to.

Thoughts? Comments? Brickbats? :bricks: LOL

Modern day era? Overall?

The top 3 losses would be SB loss '07, then SB loss '11, followed by the AFCCG loss in '06 where we would've gone on to win easily vs CHI and blew a 21-3 lead.

#4 would be the '85 SB loss to CHI, followed by #5 to the NYJ in 2010.

The 2005 loss to DEN would replace the 1985 SB loss if you're just speaking of modern day only, thus replacing #5, and moving #5 up to #4.

I got the pats and 49ers in the SB so I don't expect them to lose but if they do it will be to a team that's scored the most points in NFL history with over 600 and a QB that throw for 55 TD's and almost 5500 yards. so no it would not be the worst loss ever

I have the brickbat right here, could you email me your address please?

Is this forum half losers since the bandwagon era?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObQdGsaTAA

No you're a...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HrnkJgQQE

Sir, dunno how long you've been a fan, but I've been following the Pats since the days of Plunkett and Vataha. You can certainly call out the thread, and heck, after reading its cousin here, I'm inclined to agree. But don't lump me in with all the Johnny-come-lately red-seaters. That just ain't right.

And, yes, I was thinking about the BB era. But if we're opening it beyond that, I'd certainly include the 1976 playoff game. I'll never forget watching that on TV... Stabler fires incomplete in a sea of old-school Pats unis... I leap out of my chair... and then the penalty. Arrgh... I always looked at the Snow Bowl as payback for that. :D

The Bears loss wasn't as bad... I never expected them to win, and it was a bigger deal getting the Miami monkey off our back two weeks earlier.

IF we lose this week I will feel like we have a very good season considering what has happened to this team this season.

We are playing with house money at this point, and win lose or draw due to the injuries we are pretty well positioned for next year, with so many young players stepping up to prove they are legit NFL players,take DT for example, We lose VW, Armsted and Kelley, but Chris Jones, Siligia show up (and even Vellano to a lesser exxtent, IF VW recovers that position looks very solid next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes