PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Brissett were to be released, would you have interest in bringing him back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to roll with Stidham as a starter, you could do a lot worse for a backup?

You tell me. The Pats didn't carry three QBs that season after his exit. Brissett's play regressed during the preseason that year which is why he was third on the depth chart. He has been little more than a placeholder in Indy going 11-19 as a starter. He forever will be limited by his mechanics. I'd be shocked if he was brought back to New England in anything but a backup role.
To be fair, Brissette was most likely going to be on the week 1 roster...week 1 was 09.07 ... He was traded 09.02... unless he was kept around because the colts were looking for help...

If you're going to roll with Stidham as a starter, you could do a lot worse for a backup?
Depends, you paying him 2 million or are you paying him 7 million?

No. If Brady leaves, I’d just as soon bring in Bridgewater.
Teddy Bridgewater isn't the answer. Hes A 200 yard per game passer ... Unless you got the running game to back that up, there is no reason to pay for a guy like Bridgewater

No way. He is a good fit in Houston to backup Watson.

Depends, you paying him 2 million or are you paying him 7 million?

I mean, $7-10m is basically the minimum salary for a veteran backup quarterback of any competence. Question is whether Brissett would be worth that salary or if you'd rather give it to someone like Flacco, Keenum, Stanton, Bortles, Daniel, McCarron, etc. I think Brissett is a step above those guys and a step behind guys like Newton, Rivers, Tannehill, etc. who will go for closer to $20m. The most comparable player is probably Mariota.

Bill Barnwell is predicting 4/120 for Bridgewater, ************ lol. He was on pace for 18 touchdowns last season.

I think I’d rather sign Keenum for peanuts than pay whatever it cost to sign Bridgewater.

How would Brissett help the Pats win any more games than some other Jag? Is he an upgrade over Stidham? We have $40 million in cap space and 19 slots to fill. You want to spend $10 million on Brissett and then spend $30 million to fill out the roster? I just do not see how that makes sense if we are trying to have a winning season. If Brady leaves, a winning season is the goal with the plan of building for another long term run. Don't pay a guy dumb money and ruin that.

Bill Barnwell is predicting 4/120 for Bridgewater, ************ lol. He was on pace for 18 touchdowns last season.

I think I’d rather sign Keenum for peanuts than pay whatever it cost to sign Bridgewater.

Bridgewater was not a very good QB in Minnesota, too many "x-ray passes", passing right in the chest of defensive lineman. He had a nasty injury and is a nice comeback story but I wouldn't throw that money on him.

His play for the Saints this year is Matt Cassel part 2 , backup comes in a well oiled team with a good coach and OC who knows what to ask and what not to ask for that player and does fine but then fail as a starter again when his stock is high in the free agency and someone buys at the top of the chart.

We have seen that situation or variations of it many times, it should even have a formal name.

I mean, $7-10m is basically the minimum salary for a veteran backup quarterback of any competence. Question is whether Brissett would be worth that salary or if you'd rather give it to someone like Flacco, Keenum, Stanton, Bortles, Daniel, McCarron, etc. I think Brissett is a step above those guys and a step behind guys like Newton, Rivers, Tannehill, etc. who will go for closer to $20m. The most comparable player is probably Mariota.

What's the step difference between Stidham and a Brissett type of QB in terms of cap space value? I think the 10-15 million or more of additional cap space with Stidham makes him the better value.

But I admittedly have a soft spot for Brissett. I like his toughness, competitiveness and his leadership qualities. He's a fun player to watch but I'm not sure if he can take it to the next level.

I think I'm talking myself into hoping he comes back here. Haha.

I'd put him a step above:

Newton - Brissett is a better leader and more competitive. He would've jumped on the fumble. :D

Rivers - Brissett is younger and wouldn't have a significant impact on Foxboro's population if he came here.

Tannehill - I wonder what Brissett in Tennessee would have looked like. I feel Brissett is the better QB.

Prescott - Dallas should go after Brissett. Same QB at half the cost.

I think rookie QB+ cap space is the best after Brady approach but if they do go the bridge QB way then Brissett would be a fun way to go.

Problem is if you bring him here it isn't going to be as a back up. So realistically it's 15 a year. Same with teddy bridgewater.

No. He’s not very good.

If Brady doesn't re-sign I have little interest in signing a journeyman for $20m+ . Would let the market set itself after a couple of weeks of free agency and roll with Stidham and a cheaper veteran. Would rather spend the difference on the rest of the team e.g. upgrading TE/WR.

What's the step difference between Stidham and a Brissett type of QB in terms of cap space value? I think the 10-15 million or more of additional cap space with Stidham makes him the better value.

But I admittedly have a soft spot for Brissett. I like his toughness, competitiveness and his leadership qualities. He's a fun player to watch but I'm not sure if he can take it to the next level.

Newton - Brissett is a better leader and more competitive. He would've jumped on the fumble. :D

Rivers - Brissett is younger and wouldn't have a significant impact on Foxboro's population if he came here.

Tannehill - I wonder what Brissett in Tennessee would have looked like. I feel Brissett is the better QB.

I think rookie QB+ cap space is the best after Brady approach but if they do go the bridge QB way then Brissett would be a fun way to go.

I like Brissett more than most but putting him a step above Prescott or Tannehill right now would be... well, a stretch.

Anyways, you still need some reliable veteran backup for Stidham. Realistically, the Patriots will be paying about $25m for quarterback once you factor in the accelerated dead cap from Brady even if Stidham is under center game 1, which is to be fair substantially less than they'd be paying for Brady or a starting-caliber vet. (The Brady cap hit goes away next year, so that's really only for this season. Next year it would be much less.)

To your first point, the answer is we don't know because we have no clue what Stidham will be

I like Brissett more than most but putting him a step above Prescott or Tannehill right now would be... well, a stretch.

Anyways, you still need some reliable veteran backup for Stidham. Realistically, the Patriots will be paying about $25m for quarterback once you factor in the accelerated dead cap from Brady even if Stidham is under center game 1, which is to be fair substantially less than they'd be paying for Brady or a starting-caliber vet. (The Brady cap hit goes away next year, so that's really only for this season. Next year it would be much less.)

You may be right but both Tannehill and Prescott had an elite running game supporting them and I wonder how Brissett would look in either of those systems.

I'd discuss more but I'm late for my binge date.

To your first point, the answer is we don't know because we have no clue what Stidham will be

And BECAUSE we don't know what to expect with Stidham, Belichick will bring in a veteran QB, at least at the journeyman level (about $10AAV). I guesstimate a 2020 cap cost of $6.50M for a total of $20M including Brady's dead money.

Of course, Belichick might decide to spend more, let's say up to $13.25M for a total of $20M plus the $6.75M that is already included in the cap, whether Brady comes back or not.

The range of $6.5M - $13.25M (and the $20M total) is not at all unreasonable for the QB cost for a competing team.
==========
What seem very unreasonable to be is to go with Stidham and a draftee, accept a 4-6 win season if Stidham isn't competitive.

Last edited:
Brissett actually looked good in this offense in his 2nd year right before he got traded. So playing Devil’s advocate, it wouldn’t be a bad move if the money was reasonable. Might be a cheap option bridge QB until Stidham or any other draftee is ready.

I wouldn’t say he was traded due to fit - I would look at the trade as a simple case of Bill deciding at that time, in that year, that the need for depth at WR was greater than the need at 3rd string QB.
Could be, although if he really loved the kid i think he’s have kept him. Wonder if Jacoby has done anything since to change his mind or if he doesn’t think he can run our offense.

Can’t deny that he had have some impressive moments this season. Locker room loves him and he is calm under pressure and rarely turns the ball over. That win in KC reminded me so much of Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots