PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I’m coming around to not naming Mayo DC

Mayo finds himself in competition to a degree with the HC's son. If I were him, I'd leave too, even if only to work as DC elsewhere. At least once he escapes the nepotism, he can feel he's got a fair shot based on merit of moving up. If he leaves, I won't blame him a bit. If anything, I'll blame Bill tbh.
I feel like if he was to interview again elsewhere, he might get a shot. He supposedly interviewed well previously and other teams have to sort of look at what they've done under Flores and with Mayo and feel like both of those guys are well respected by the players, especially Mayo who obviously did it and was a captain. The X's and O's might be solid but it feels like Mayo really brings the fire, which I believe would be a loss if/when he moves on.

Then that is just as bad. How is getting around a league rule, one that is meant to promote diversity, ok?

That said I thought it was just for HC?
GM, HC, OC and DC have to follow the Rooney rule.

GM, HC, OC and DC have to follow the Rooney rule.
Why is the league allowing him to just skirt the rule by not naming people? I doubt that is a loophole the league just ignores.

I also find it weird there is no noise around it. Maybe he goes through interview process without making it public?

Then that is just as bad. How is getting around a league rule, one that is meant to promote diversity, ok?

This is not a serious question, right?

Why is the league allowing him to just skirt the rule by not naming people? I doubt that is a loophole the league just ignores.

I also find it weird there is no noise around it. Maybe he goes through interview process without making it public?
I don't think there's a rule that you have to name a coordinator. Not sure how many other teams operate this way. Probably none. Bill playing chess again, I guess.

When a coordinator is fired you can name an interim one w/o having to follow the rule, and we've seen that happen already in CAR and IND.

According to Mayo, Little Steven is the play caller and he does the coordinating. Whatever that means.
So arrogant and ridiculous to have that arrangement just to satisfy his kid and boost his profile. Mayo also mentioned that he was offered the title of Co-defensive coordinator. So disrespectful in my opinion. That in itself should be enough for Mayo to go elsewhere.

Evaluations of Steve's ability and accomplishments will always have an asterisk next to it until he works somewhere else for a while. Anyone who really cares about his future should be pushing him to get a job elsewhere.

Was rethorical but am curious why you would think not serious?

1. Using loopholes to get around inconvenient/unwanted/bad rules is pervasive throughout all of humanity.

2. "Promote diversity" is just another way of saying "support racial discrimination".

I feel like if he was to interview again elsewhere, he might get a shot. He supposedly interviewed well previously and other teams have to sort of look at what they've done under Flores and with Mayo and feel like both of those guys are well respected by the players, especially Mayo who obviously did it and was a captain. The X's and O's might be solid but it feels like Mayo really brings the fire, which I believe would be a loss if/when he moves on.
It would indeed. I'm just saying I can't blame him for looking elsewhere in the circumstances, and moving on if he finds something. The nepotism poisons the well for all concerned. Steve will forever be questioned as to whether he actually earned his job; and Bill, ironically enough given all his protestations over the years, seems to have shown that "doing what is best for the team" is not his highest priority. Providing for his kids and longtime buddies seems to have eclipsed that putative priority.

Mayo finds himself in competition to a degree with the HC's son. If I were him, I'd leave too, even if only to work as DC elsewhere. At least once he escapes the nepotism, he can feel he's got a fair shot based on merit of moving up. If he leaves, I won't blame him a bit. If anything, I'll blame Bill tbh.
Mayo also jumped straight to a position coach role with the Patriots rather than being a college coach, coaching intern or coaching assistant as many former players do. Vrabel, for example, was at the college level for three years before he got a shot at being an NFL position coach. Mayo Cleary has a good relationship with Belichick. That isn’t to say he should pass on better opportunities…

1. Using loopholes to get around inconvenient/unwanted/bad rules is pervasive throughout all of humanity.

2. "Promote diversity" is just another way of saying "support racial discrimination".
I get number 1 but should not be ok when league pretends to create a level playing field

About number 2 - completely disagree. There is a clear need for diversity promotio when 70%+ of the players are a minority yet a fraction of that are coaches when former players are the most natural fit for becoming coaches. I will stop here as this is not the thread for this conversation

I get number 1 but should not be ok when league pretends to create a level playing field

You're not using your head.

About number 2 - completely disagree. There is a clear need for diversity promotio when 70%+ of the players are a minority yet a fraction of that are coaches when former players are the most natural fit for becoming coaches. I will stop here as this is not the thread for this conversation

Your disagreement is as irrelevant to the fact as your argument for justifying that disagreement is.

Mayo also jumped straight to a position coach role with the Patriots rather than being a college coach, coaching intern or coaching assistant as many former players do. Vrabel, for example, was at the college level for three years before he got a shot at being an NFL position coach. Mayo Cleary has a good relationship with Belichick. That isn’t to say he should pass on better opportunities…
Why would a former player with years of experience at an elite level need to be an intern? An intern is someone out of school with zero to little experience.

This notion that someone who had a few years of assisting is somehow is more qualified to be a coach than a player with years of elite experience is absurd.

You're not using your head.

Your disagreement is as irrelevant to the fact as your argument for justifying that disagreement is.
You need to look up the definition of "fact". Hint - it has nothing to do with your opinion.

I'm ok with Lil'Steven and the Mul-lets runing the defense, the defense hasn't been the problem. If the offense was as good as the defense this team would be we'd have another three wins at least. The D just needs some upgrades at LB and D-line

Here's a stab at moral clarity. How about we oppose racial discrimnation in all circumstances, to whatever end? In our context, this has the added benefit of a nice congruence with "doing what is best for the team." That's all from me on this. Somebody needs to reengage the traction control.

You need to look up the definition of "fact". Hint - it has nothing to do with your opinion.

My position wasn't opinion. That's the whole point.

MUST interview minorities + Do not need to interview white males = textbook discrimination

Why would a former player with years of experience at an elite level need to be an intern? An intern is someone out of school with zero to little experience.

This notion that someone who had a few years of assisting is somehow is more qualified to be a coach than a player with years of elite experience is absurd.
Again, in the modern NFL, many former players are do not jump straight to being given the a position group to coach. Troy Brown started off a coaching fellowship before he moved over to running backs.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back