PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Serious Question

Bobby T

Rookie
Reaction score
I think our defense was pretty good but with all the talk about Mayo being the coach in waiting Who actually runs our defense? Does Mayo or does Steve? Or does/did Bill? If Mayo isn’t even listed as our DC how can anyone be certain he’s the right guy for the job? If he does run it why not the title? Sorry but this whole thing seems like a soap opera. If Mayo is the guy I hope I’m wrong and he does well but it seems to me Vrabel is a proven guy and this should be an easy choice to go with him. I bet this “succession” plan being talked about was developed under the assumption Bill would leave when he wanted and the team would be solid and not in need of a rebuild. That didn’t happen. We are a six time Super Bowl champion not the fn Jets…. Learning on the job here shouldn’t be an option.

If it is jerod where is he pulling his staff from? Seems to me vrabel can bring alot of his guys but jerod might retain some current staff

Reportedly, Mayo led the game-planning and Steve called the actual plays in game. The two main roles of a DC were split between two people. For jumping straight to HC, it’s better for Mayo to have been the game-planner than the play-caller given that he’s presumably not going to be calling plays.

Reportedly, Mayo led the game-planning and Steve called the actual plays in game. The two main roles of a DC were split between two people. For jumping straight to HC, it’s better for Mayo to have been the game-planner than the play-caller given that he’s presumably not going to be calling plays.
Thanks.

I think our defense was pretty good but with all the talk about Mayo being the coach in waiting Who actually runs our defense? Does Mayo or does Steve? Or does/did Bill? If Mayo isn’t even listed as our DC how can anyone be certain he’s the right guy for the job? If he does run it why not the title? Sorry but this whole thing seems like a soap opera. If Mayo is the guy I hope I’m wrong and he does well but it seems to me Vrabel is a proven guy and this should be an easy choice to go with him. I bet this “succession” plan being talked about was developed under the assumption Bill would leave when he wanted and the team would be solid and not in need of a rebuild. That didn’t happen. We are a six time Super Bowl champion not the fn Jets…. Learning on the job here shouldn’t be an option.
Today we are much closer to being the fn jets than a 6 time sb champ

Today we are much closer to being the fn jets than a 6 time sb champ
Just days ago you were giving Bill a rubdown and reiterating this is a great team lacking only competent QB play.

I always thought it was curious they split those duties.

I always thought it was curious they split those duties.
Probably nepotism. BB wants to make sure his sons are good to go with their own career.

CV building for SB by calling the plays for the defense Mayo schemed up.

And Mapu was a treat for the other one. Putting family ahead of team. OT was a gargantuan need and a starting level RT in Ohio State’s Dawand Jones fell into our laps in the third round, instead of Mapu, if BB had wanted.

Weight concerns like with Onwenu pushed him down below his excellent tape.

Sorry but this whole thing seems like a soap opera.
I'll say it again - success or failure, in the near future or far, something has come to an end that will never be again. Welcome back to life as one of the 32.

I also get the sense that staying in-house was very much a BB thing, so you may not have to worry about OTJ training anymore.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back