PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How the Patriots got where they are: College draft edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't actually know how good BB is at consistent team building until he's stuck with a lesser QB.

This. The sadist in me wants to see BB work his ways without Brady. The sane side of me could do without a Brady departure.

And sometimes the difference between losing it all came down to the sub-replacement-level JAG wannabes (Eric Alexander, Pierre Woods, Chris Harper et. al.) because the rookies & other recently drafted players sucked.

Naaahhhh.....it really came down to the success of the vets they’d bring in

There have been key guys who have been decent to key factors in the SB years. Malcolm Mitchel and Sony Michel for instance (especially Michel) in recent years. Then I think of Seymour, Light and Wilfork playing major roles as rookies in SB winning seasons. Dan Koppen & Eugene Wilson are 2 others I can think of.

2001 doesn’t happen if they don’t bring in vrabel,Cox,pleasant, Asmith,patten, phifer, Compton, Edwards, Izzo

In 2003, Harrison, Washington, Poole
In 2004, Traylor, Dillon

2002,2005,2006 is what happens when your free agent/ veterans acquisitions fail you

2007, Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Thomas

2009-2013 was a free agent drought and the result showed

2014, Revis, Browner, Lafell
2015, not much
2016, Bennett, hogan, van Noy
2017, cooks, Gilmore, guy, ... should have won
2018, This team goes nowhere without Trent brown

point being that success rested so much more on vet acquisition than rookie ones.....rookies work out good over time, but rarely make the big difference year 1 the way vets can

can’t blame the team for not trying to bring wr last year, they all just crashed and burned

2001 doesn’t happen if they don’t bring in vrabel,Cox,pleasant, Asmith,patten, phifer, Compton, Edwards, Izzo

In 2003, Harrison, Washington, Poole
In 2004, Traylor, Dillon

2002,2005,2006 is what happens when your free agent/ veterans acquisitions fail you

2007, Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Thomas

2009-2013 was a free agent drought and the result showed

2014, Revis, Browner, Lafell
2015, not much
2016, Bennett, hogan, van Noy
2017, cooks, Gilmore, guy, ... should have won
2018, This team goes nowhere without Trent brown

point being that success rested so much more on vet acquisition than rookie ones.....rookies work out good over time, but rarely make the big difference year 1 the way vets can

can’t blame the team for not trying to bring wr last year, they all just crashed and burned

This is a good way to look at it but we did sign free agents in the years that we lost, so those should be listed here too so we can compare the Super Bowl years to the rest.

This is a good way to look at it but we did sign free agents in the years that we lost, so those should be listed here too so we can compare the Super Bowl years to the rest.

2002 - Steve Martin
2005 - monte biesel,Chad brown, Duane starks
2006 - reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, jabar gaffney, junior seau

you can look up the rest yourself ... my point stands

The Patriots, as every team, supplements the draft picks with free agency and trades. Giving a pass on poor draft classes because they signed free agents in a year they won the Super Bowl is just stupid.

Seems appropriate to bump this tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey