PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much longer will you drink the BB kool-aid?

If someone would tell me right now who they should have as HC of the NEP (that's, you know, available for the job) that's better than Belichick, I'm all ears.

Good luck with that though.

Honestly…. I would trade Belichick if I could get a good return.

I will be happy for Bill when he passes Shula, but I really don’t care if he does it as a Patriots coach.

The Raiders got 2 first & 2 seconds for Gruden, but he was a lot younger than Bill.

A desperate team with an aging owner, could take a gamble & I would gladly toss is Belichick sons for free.

I would move him for a first, although that is not going to happen.

Last years performance really makes me looking forward in the next chapter in the Patriots future.

Will probably keep drinking the BB Kool-aid until the day I die or he retires. Even last year is better than most of what I watched in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's... there were a few bright spots.. but overall we were the doormats every year. It was so bad every year when we got the Sears Christmas Catalog, would check to see if there was any Pats gear on sale. Never were as they were infatuate with Dallas, NYG, NYJ, Chicago, Miami.. it took BB to restore this franchise to respectability. Don't ever underestimate how bad many of those teams were..

BB can stick around until he’s retired. I love the coach for everything he has done for this franchise. I have no ill will towards the man, and truly believe there is no one else out there that will give you a better chance year in and year out. We’ve seen a lot of changes throughout the years, and Bill is always losing his top guys. This is going to lead to philosophical changes, brain drain etc. I get that. Just because I support the man and his F.O. does not mean I can’t criticize their decisions either. Sometimes I’ve been right in my feelings, other times I’ve been dead wrong. It’s all part of being a fan.

Last year is a terrible example. But we’ll definitely know more after this season…which should certainly be interesting depending on how things play out.
It's only a terrible example due to bad decisions made by none other than Bill Belichick. No clue why he of all people should get a pass. Offensive players do, he doesn't.

So were just gonna ignore 2020 for?? That was a very real year to me, it better of meant more to Bill than us peasants.
2020 was the tear down, there was nothing to rebuild with. 2021 was the start of the rebuild

How long is the avg rebuild? How long does the avg NFL coach keep their job? All metrics point to this year as the year results need to be in.

Were they actually in a rebuild though once Brady left? BB the coach isn’t the problem. BB the GM is. The roster since Brady’s last year has been Avg at best and don’t think they were ever in a true rebuild which they should have been. They pretty much wasted all that 2021 FA money on multiple players who didn’t live up to their contracts.

I’m ok with the lack of FA money spending this year as I don’t think there is anyone I really really want except maybe 1 or 2 players. I am also ok with a total offensive rebuild with the exception of a few players.

I do see a potential path of the offense being good this year, but I don’t think they want to invest money and draft capital to achieve it.

2020 was the tear down, there was nothing to rebuild with. 2021 was the start of the rebuild

So Bill gets a pass for an entire season because he mismanaged the cap into a corner?

Ya, obviously you're take on that is shared by no one. 2020 was the start of the process and he's on year 4 now. Any other coach would get fired for missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with 0 playoff wins and almost no offensive talent to speak of.

So he's gonna have to really show up this year.

Now don't get it twisted. Bill is almost certainly never going to get fired.

Exactly. 2020 was the teardown just like 2000 was. Very similar.

2021 wasn't quite 2001, but it was a success for a first year of a rebuild.

2022 was a lot like 2002. The team over achieved in year one of the rebuild and then took a step back in year 2. Hopefully, year 3 ends with a return to the playoffs and the upward trajectory begins.

Were they actually in a rebuild though once Brady left? BB the coach isn’t the problem. BB the GM is. The roster since Brady’s last year has been Avg at best and don’t think they were ever in a true rebuild which they should have been. They pretty much wasted all that 2021 FA money on multiple players who didn’t live up to their contracts.

I’m ok with the lack of FA money spending this year as I don’t think there is anyone I really really want except maybe 1 or 2 players. I am also ok with a total offensive rebuild with the exception of a few players.

I do see a potential path of the offense being good this year, but I don’t think they want to invest money and draft capital to achieve it.

Rebuild isn't the word I even used. I'm saying that 4 seasons is more than enough time for a coach and GM to show they're making legitimate progress.

I think we all understand that Bill can't miss the playoffs this year and still run around yelling progress.

Your argument is the most successful coach/gm ever is now wrong because he continues to want to operate in the way that brought that success, and you think, from your distant point of view, that things have changed?

and if folks don't think the idea of not kicking the can down the road with bad contracts to "win right now", to maintain longterm financial viability and success isn't coming from the owner down, they're high

2022 was a lot like 2002. The team over achieved in year one of the rebuild and then took a step back in year 2. Hopefully, year 3 ends with a return to the playoffs and the upward trajectory begins.

So Bill gets a reset year to tear it down that doesn't constitute as time served on the rebuild but he also doesn't take blame for the roster and the cap needed to be reset in the first place?

Man, he has it made.

So Bill gets a pass for an entire season because he mismanaged the cap into a corner?

Ya, obviously you're take on that is shared by no one. 2020 was the start of the process and he's on year 4 now. Any other coach would get fired for missing the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with 0 playoff wins and almost no offensive talent to speak of.

So he's gonna have to really show up this year.

Now don't get it twisted. Bill is almost certainly never going to get fired.
What is a pass?
Let me refresh your memory. From 2011-2018 the patriots won the division 8 straight times, went to the AFCCG 8 times, went to the SB 5 times and won 2 of them. They won 16 playoff games and 3 SBs. Only 4 coaches have won more playoff games on their entire career than the patriots won in those 8 seasons. Only 1 is active and #2 active has won 11 in his life.
So yes the “cap hell” endure in one season on the heels of that was very much worth it.

So Bill gets a reset year to tear it down that doesn't constitute as time served on the rebuild but he also doesn't take blame for the roster and the cap needed to be reset in the first place?

Man, he has it made.
You want to blame him for 2011-2019, go right ahead.

What is a pass?
Let me refresh your memory. From 2011-2018 the patriots won the division 8 straight times, went to the AFCCG 8 times, went to the SB 5 times and won 2 of them. They won 16 playoff games and 3 SBs. Only 4 coaches have won more playoff games on their entire career than the patriots won in those 8 seasons. Only 1 is active and #2 active has won 11 in his life.
So yes the “cap hell” endure in one season on the heels of that was very much worth it.

Right. So I disagree with that completely. Those were fun years. What a time to be alive.

You don't not get divorced because the first 10 years were awesome but the last last have been terrible.

I don't care about those years. I'm on to Cincinnati as Bill would say.

Last year was pretty much the end of the line for me giving BB any type of free pass.

The sheer arrogance of going into a critical season for your second year quarterback without a veteran QB coach, offensive coordinator, offensive line coach, etc, etc, is just astounding and should have been a fire-able offense.

until there is a head coach that is available and better. this fans base of chicken little has worn thin, and expecting the next 20 years to repeat itself is not realistic or expected
and asking this makes you worse than the 3 young punks mouthing off, its tiring and takes away from what we experienced,

the chefs are accepting bandwagon fans, you are more than welcome to join them
I don't believe BB the HC was ever an issue it's the decisions made last season that has some at thier wits end..

We had always had veterans to carry BBs messages in the locker room.. when the biggest one of them left a part of the culture was affected.

I still want BB as my HC of course, but just better decisions need to be made..

It feels like BB wants to spend however after the jonnu Smith contract RK may have some reluctance? Just my guess that's all..

Good point. 2003 was then the 2002team maturing plus a few key pieces added.

You want to blame him for 2011-2019, go right ahead.

This is a flawed argument. What does those years have to do with 2023?

He gets all the credit for ALL his years. Not just the ones they were successful in.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back