PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many years will this happen before we stop being surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m usually not an alarmist, but I didn’t like what I saw games 2-3. I’ll admit to both (1) not pressing the panic button, while (2) starting to wonder if this year was different.

It’ll be interesting to see how they do in the next few weeks : there should be a few tests this Fall...

They beat the Dolphins and it was very impressive but it's the Dolphins lets wait until the Chiefs come into Gillette with a bunch of weapons and a good team before we start throwing a party and claim everything is fixed.
And if they beat the Chiefs, the storyline will be "very impressive, but it was the Chiefs", and on and on and on. Every team is great until the Patriots beat them. Then, they suck and have always sucked.

It's just one game. Tom Brady could get hurt Thursday (knock on wood) and the Pats lose the rest of the game on the schedule this year. You just don't know. Don't chastise people for being legitimately concerned after two very poor performances.
And don't chastise people for being legitimately pleased, excited and happy with a win over an undefeated team who was leading your division.

There are many areas of concern but if they are going to play like today then I’m feeling pretty confident

It's not like anyone is crowning them SB champs after managing to get back to 2-2 against a giant question mark of a team.
I think the larger point is that there's a pattern where this team plays its best football from October onward.
That's arguably the 1st or 2nd strongest Patriots' team in the history of our franchise losing to Patrick Frickin' Ramsey and the Redskins early in the season leaving us at 2-2.
The point is that with a gameplan centric team like ours we're always going to struggle until there's enough video of our opponents and ourselves to start finding weak spots, patterns, etc. Meaning you really can't know what we're going to be looking like, as a team, in September.

I agree. If I recall, the Pats that started with the 31-0 loss to Buff and then after the Washington game, we went undefeated the rest of way before slipping by Carolina in the SB...and set the NFL record for consecutive wins.
The Redskins only won a couple games the rest of the year.

Let's not forget that the Dolphins handed this team one of its losses last year and was in the playoff hunt more often than not the last few years. They're a weaker team than us, but not to be sneezed at .
What's the story behind your avatar?

Coming on here to let us know how easy it was AFTER the game already happened. How brave of you. I’m guessing you bet your entire savings on the Patriots though, since you were supremely confident all week?

n + 1 years

Not surprised. Wasn't concerned.
Anyone who's closely followed this team since BB/TB knows you can't judge em til almost Thanksgiving.
There are 2 very obvious reasons:
1. Pats always play deep into playoffs- the deeper you go- the more behind you are the rest of the NFL the next season.
September is really an extension of preseason for NE. Of course, they're trying to win. But they're usually trying a lot of different guys out in games,different rotations, trying to see everyone's strengths and weaknesses.
2. They're a game plan team. Every team changes every year. So it takes a month plus before you have an idea of what your opponents are trying to do.
It's not rocket science to figure out.
Yet every year, a few clueless people here get amnesia and panic when the Pats aren't in midseason form in September.
This year,add in all the injuries to key guys- way more than the norm, plus JE11 being out- what the hell did you expect?
Unless too many more key injuries happen(knocking on wood), Pat's will be one of the few elite teams with as good a chance of winning the SB as anyone.

Anyone who's closely followed this team since BB/TB knows you can't judge em til almost Thanksgiving.

If only most of the forum had this much common sense...

Need to see the big C. consistency. 2 bad games on the road and 2 great games at home is not going to cut it

1. Pats always play deep into playoffs- the deeper you go- the more behind you are the rest of the NFL the next season.
September is really an extension of preseason for NE. Of course, they're trying to win. But they're usually trying a lot of different guys out in games,different rotations, trying to see everyone's strengths and weaknesses.
2. They're a game plan team. Every team changes every year. So it takes a month plus before you have an idea of what your opponents are trying to do.
Yet every year, a few clueless people here get amnesia and panic when the Pats aren't in midseason form in September.
This year,add in all the injuries to key guys- way more than the norm, plus JE11 being out- what the hell did you expect?
Unless too many more key injuries happen(knocking on wood), Pat's will be one of the few elite teams with as good a chance of winning the SB as anyone.

To follow up on previous post: just because I wasn't surprised by both the first 3 games or the last one, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the livin hell out of this one.
Like most of you, I look forward all week to watching the Pats. Last week's game was maybe the least enjoyable game I've watched since BB/TB started doing their thing. It sucked.
Today was the opposite. Like the Cincinnati game a few years ago.Whoopin and hollerin. We're lucky.
Most of the time when we watch our team, it's fun. Not so for most other fan bases.

• They were in so much trouble on offense that they had to gamble on Josh Gordon, and they had to gamble on him playing during a week where his hammy was still problem enough that he was expected to be out as recently as friday
  • They were in so much trouble on defense that they had a player come off the couch and become an instant contributor, despite hardly practicing with the team
  • It's just one game

Basically, you are doing pretty much what you're belittling others for doing, but from the other direction.

They beat the Dolphins and it was very impressive but it's the Dolphins lets wait until the Chiefs come into Gillette with a bunch of weapons and a good team before we start throwing a party and claim everything is fixed.

This

Very good game today. Exactly what we needed.

But yeah, it's the Dolphins. We thought everything was squared away with the defense last year too. Then a backup QB absolutely shredded them in the superbowl in one of the most pathetic defensive performances ever.

And if they beat the Chiefs, the storyline will be "very impressive, but it was the Chiefs", and on and on and on. Every team is great until the Patriots beat them. Then, they suck and have always sucked.

The chiefs suck and have always sucked lol.

The more horrible reality is when we lose it’s to a team tha has always sucked

Need to see the big C. consistency. 2 bad games on the road and 2 great games at home is not going to cut it
  • They were in so much trouble on offense that they had to gamble on Josh Gordon, and they had to gamble on him playing during a week where his hammy was still problem enough that he was expected to be out as recently as friday
  • They were in so much trouble on defense that they had a player come off the couch and become an instant contributor, despite hardly practicing with the team
  • It's just one game
Basically, you are doing pretty much what you're belittling others for doing, but from the other direction.

Not at all. I just recognize that we don't have a complete picture yet. As much as I enjoyed today's game, I know this team is far from a finished product. Like I said, I don't judge them til November, regardless of how well or poorly they play. But when I look at the roster, I see a team that, when fully healthy and in sync, which is still a month or two away, is a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft