PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Many Titles Would Belichick Have WITHOUT Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy very well may be better than the QBs drafted last night. But to act like it means nothing to have a QB under a cheap contract for no less than 4 years and pretend the $21 million franchise tag for a QB is nothing doesn't seem logical.

It really doesn't mean much of anything. A quick look at SB winners in the era of free agency makes that abundantly clear.

The key is having the QB. If he's on an early contract, that's just a bonus.

It really doesn't mean much of anything. A quick look at SB winners in the era of free agency makes that abundantly clear.

The key is having the QB. If he's on an early contract, that's just a bonus.
If we want to use the free agency period and look at the past 20 Super Bowls, then something like 15 champion teams were led by QB's they drafted, and something like 5 were led by QB's signed in free agency.

I am just thinking this through in my mind so admit I may be forgetting something, but I don't think there is a single champion QB in there who was traded for, and the solid majority of Super Bowl were won by QB's playing for the teams who drafted them.

NOTE #1: I mean trading for the player, not trading for the draft pick.

NOTE #2: I know technically the Giants traded for Eli, but I think we can agree that for all intents and purposes, that was trading for a draft pick. It's not like he was a 3 year veteran when they traded for him.

NOTE #3: Quite honestly, the only team I can think of that won a Super Bowl with a veteran QB that they traded for is SF in SB29 with Young. I am not saying he's the only one, just that he is the only one I can think of.

I am just thinking this through in my mind so admit I may be forgetting something, but I don't think there is a single champion QB in there who was traded for, and the solid majority of Super Bowl were won by QB's playing for the teams who drafted them.
if you go back just one more super bowl (XXXI), brett favre.

BB is keeping Jimmy because nobody has made an offer that makes it worthwhile. I do believe that BB wants to go for it all next year but what good is it to build up the offense if there is no backup that can get them to the SB if TB12 gets hurt. While we think Tom is superman, injuries are a part of the game. I am in the camp that having JG as insurance gives us a better chance at ring #6 than adding a rookie, even if he is a first rounder.

We'll deal with next year, next year.

I was just kidding lol. People make an argument that Brady sucks and only Bill was good and then turn around and make the opposite argument.

That's me for you, missing the sarcasm and taking things too literally sometimes.

What if when Brady was a young lad Ray Lewis violently murdered Brady's parents while he watched helplessly and the anger and traumatic residue of the murders drive Brady to become a humorless dark vigilante superhero.

Discuss.
"...I swear to God!..."
th
Swear to me.
th

The same number as Brady would have won without Belichick.

I think the number of titles that BB wins without Brady is in the 0-2 range. These are my Pats' success %'s:
Brady 70% (like BB says, it's a player's game).
BB 25%
Kraft 5% (for handing the keys to BB).

I'm guessing none. We'll see what a genius Belichick is when he pushes TB out the door. I have a feeling Bill wants to show everyone he can win without Tom Brady -- that's why he's keeping JG and that's why Tom isn't going to be around much longer in NE.

Good luck, Bill. You're going to need it.
Weak material but you've got 6 pages so far out of it. Well done, go back to the board of whatever team you support and claim victory

Man, for those of us that remember the Pats of the 70s, 80, and 90s, I would say to just be happy. Who cares who is more important. The Patriots, the fricken Patriots, have become arguably the greatest football team in the history of the NFL. This period is going to make me a happy football man until the day I die, no matter what the Pats do when Brady or Belichick leave the Patriots.

Somewhere between 0-16.
Jimmy very well may be better than the QBs drafted last night. But to act like it means nothing to have a QB under a cheap contract for no less than 4 years and pretend the $21 million franchise tag for a QB is nothing doesn't seem logical. If they hit on their QB last night, they'll also have A LOT of extra money to spend the next several seasons.

The Raiders will change considerably once Carr is costing them $20+ million per year.

The Bears are spending as much for Trubisky and Glennon over the next 5 years as they would have to pay for JG, if JG was given an Osweileresque extension.:confused:

Round about tree fiddy

Mallet, Cassel and Hoyer all "learned under the best for a couple years" too.

Any team that would trade multiple high picks for an unproven QB they will control for 1 year is foolish.

I never understand this argument. People rip Cassel and Hoyer way more than Zac Robinson or Kevin O'Connell despite both Cassel and Hoyer wildly exceeding expectations. But because they're not first-ballot HOFers, they're seen as failures around here quite a bit. It makes no sense.

Mallett is a 3rd round pick who didn't amount to much, fine.

Cassel was a 7th-round pick who hadn't started a game in college and turned into a pretty decent player. From 2001 to 2005 (when Cassel was drafted), 70 QBs were drafted. He's 13th in career AV, 11th in starts, has been to a Pro Bowl, and played 12 seasons in the NFL so far. By every realistic measure of a 7th-round draft choice, he's been incredibly successful. You think that has nothing to do with learning from Brady?

Hoyer was an UDFA. 62 QBs were drafted in the 2005-2009 period (when Hoyer went undrafted). He would be 15th in career AV, 18th in starts if he showed up in the tables, but he doesn't because he went undrafted. And he's done all this despite not playing much in his first 4 years. He's been the best UDFA QB since Tony Romo. You think that has nothing to do with learning from Brady?

I think both those guys exceeded expectations to incredible levels, and I get sick of people ripping on them for doing just that while higher-touted guys get free passes. Guys like Pat White (2009-2nd round) and Stephen McGee (2009-4th round) get forgotten, the Charlie Fryes (2005-3rd round) and Andrew Walters (2005-3rd round) do jack ****, but let's continue to rip on Hoyer and Cassel for sucking. That makes perfect ****ing sense.

Depends. Who's the QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back