PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Focused is Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the best tight end in football last year? Who is the best tight end of the last 25 years, at least? It's not the highest paid one.

By the way, I don't have 10 million, so that's a moot point. If you've followed Patriots history before Belichick, you know Kraft has overpaid plenty of players who weren't close to the greatest of all time at their positions. I think Gronk is the greatest TE of all time, you don't?
Which TE in NFL history has averaged more $ per year than Gronk?

You brought up the money.

There's no TE in history better than Gronk,so your question is irrelevant. There are plenty of one dimensional or lousy tight ends if saving money is your only goal.
Even giving that, these mediocre players are tied up contractually.

There's no TE in history better than Gronk,so your question is irrelevant. There are plenty of one dimensional or lousy tight ends if saving money is your only goal.
Even giving that, these mediocre players are tied up contractually.
I agree he's the best. You said he wasn't paid the most. That's not true.

The recent FA spending frenzy couldn’t have helped. There are now 50 offensive players who are making more money than he is in base salary this year, and he quickly dropped down to the 4th highest paid TE behind guys like Trey Burton and Zack Ertz.

I’m guessing that he values his worth as not only the highest paid TE, but also as a nicely compensated receiver (12m or so guesstimate). I think it’s reasonable for him to want something guaranteed, as well as another 1-2m a year.

I'm not an expert on NFL salaries, but aren't Graham and Burton paid more? Either way, he is in a class by himself IMO. He made a jerk of himself in his presser, but i don't see any way we are not much worse if we trade him. He's a great tight end, notso great at contract PR stunts. By the way, Brady did the same thing, just smoother.

The recent FA spending frenzy couldn’t have helped. There are now 50 offensive players who are making more money than he is in base salary this year, and he quickly dropped down to the 4th highest paid TE behind guys like Trey Burton and Zack Ertz.

I’m guessing that he values his worth as not only the highest paid TE, but also as a nicely compensated receiver (12m or so guesstimate). I think it’s reasonable for him to want something guaranteed, as well as another 1-2m a year.
There is no question at this moment he is underpaid. With his production as an all-around TE he theoretically should be as you say he is which is the $10-$12m range.

I'm not an expert on NFL salaries, but aren't Graham and Burton paid more? Either way, he is in a class by himself IMO. He made a jerk of himself in his presser, but i don't see any way we are not much worse if we trade him. He's a great tight end, notso great at contract PR stunts. By the way, Brady did the same thing, just smoother.
Agree 100%.

I was just saying he has made more money than any TE in NFL history.

Gronks money grab is annoying but he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Agree 100%.

Agreed. Sorry for the vitriol. I just get annoyed when people imply a draft pick is better than a proven great player.

Agreed. Sorry for the vitriol. I just get annoyed when people imply a draft pick is better than a proven great player.

Pats are worse w/o Gronk in his prime. No debate there.

Of course. Then you're dealing with the same issues (if not worse) next offseason with him. Then what?
Cross that bridge then and plan accordingly.

As long as Gronk has given Bill his assurance he will not be a problem then I have no issue with Gronk here in 2018.

Cross that bridge then and plan accordingly.

As long as Gronk has given Bill his assurance he will not be a problem then I have no issue with Gronk here in 2018.

Well you're either going to have to redo his contract, trade him, or keep him on the team with another year of marinating in the thought that he's underpaid for what he gives the team. Which is the choice you’re making?

He’s gone. No way Belichick is taking him back. He’ll be packaged to Cleveland as part of a trade up for a QB.

BB is going to take charge of the locker room.

Good call by the way.

Well you're either going to have to redo his contract, trade him, or keep him on the team with another year of marinating in the thought that he's underpaid for what he gives the team. Which is the choice you’re making?

IDK :p

I think the 2019 decision is all based on his performance and where his head is at in 2018. If he has a MVP-esque season nd his behavior is "all in" the team needs to look at a reasonable extension (2 years to 2021 to soften the cap hit?) and ride him for as long as possible.

If in 2018 he is injured or has a down year, then I think that will determine if he is worth paying him ~$10m, redo-ing his deal or trading him as he only has a $2m cap hit in 2019.

Last edited:

A bit of hyperbole might go a long way to make a point but Gronk's career earnings of $44.5m place him 7th all time at TE. He'll pass Marcedes Lewis and Greg Olsen to move up to 5th after this season.

A bit of hyperbole might go a long way to make a point but Gronk's career earnings of $44.5m place him 7th all time at TE. He'll pass Marcedes Lewis and Greg Olsen to move up to 5th after this season.
Sorry. Meant AAV on cash payout.

Clearly T-Gon is #1 as he played 17 years.

Gronk is $6m AAV cash payout which is the most for a TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News