PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you that Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you that Mac Jones is the long-term answer at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The next question is why was bolden in at rb, especially in the redzone over Harris and Taylor?
Because Bill benched Harris because he wasn't ready to play, oh, and for the good of the team.

Here you go, on the Bolden RZ plays that you'all blaming on Josh. I don't think Lazar is a hater.

Yeah, not a good sign if the 18 QB pressures is causing the kid to check out of pass plays where he thinks the OLine will suck (and the OLine does suck).

How about people realize the OLine is the problem not our brave rookie who is getting shellacked ??

Here's more evidence of concerns over his deep ball. He misses big, doesn't have strength, they flutter. Just bad all around. What's the difference between how he's throwing deep passes now and what you guys saw at Alabama.

His passes didn’t flutter. At least two of those passes were drops. The INT was meaningless because it was with five seconds left in garbage time. The pass right before that one was also a deep pass in garbage time. In fact, five of Jones’ passes over 20 yards were on the last drive in garbage time where he was trying for a quick strike on risky throws.

And most of his deep balls that were off target were over throws of the receiver. Not flutter balls.

3 games in I'm pretty sure Mac Jones can be at the minimum an average NFL starting quarterback. I'm happy with the pick. but his line was awful the last 2 weeks so it'd be nice to see him w a competent line and non-jag pass catchers

Based off this game? Not confident at all. He's also probably going to get trashed in the Buccaneers game next week.

This is the entire reason why I felt it was better to keep Cam at least through the first 6 weeks. So that Mac Jones would not get his confidence CRUSHED before his career even got started. Cam's a veteran, he can handle getting embarrassed by the GOAT. Mac? Wide eyed rookie. There was no reason to destroy him before he even got off the ground. This game was Mac Jone's worst game as a pro. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Should have made him hold the clip board a while longer, Bill.
Thing about this kid .. I don't think he's "seeing ghosts" OR that this will shake his confidence. It will just intensify his focus and effort. I have zero doubt this kid has the smarts and fortitude to become the next great NE QB .. not the GOAT but top 5-10 in the next 2 Years. I'm good with that.

At least the Fields talk is over. I’m glad the Pats didn’t cough up the first rounder required to move up to get a guy who might not be an NFL caliber QB.

3 games in he has shown at the very least he can keep us in games and has the ability to lead an offense to kill time/win time of possession. More or less a game manager.

He's shown he's smart...he's shown he can make the safe throws. Kid is tough , steps up into the pocket despite pressure...will take the hit to deliver the ball. He's also shown some mobile ability.

Here's where things start sort of getting a little...hazy. We know one of the biggest knocks on Mac was a low ceiling. We also know alot of folks openly question if the talent around him inflated his value abit.

So I'm starting to ask myself - how much more can Mac himself do for the Patriots? Not much imo outside of walking the ball over to Jonnu and placing it firmly in his hands. He can't create the separation and he can't block for himself. So the ball does come out quicker than it did with Cam but not as quick as TB12 and the results are mirroring more of the former.

Looks like it's time BB starts investing some of his assets on the Diva 1sr round wrs he has avoided for so long.

Same can be said about the oline...we will need some talent added over the next few seasons..and I don't think there's anyone on that line who should fee 'safe' if this progresses.

All this said with full acknowledgement that 3 games just is not enough time to have a definitive answer.

9-10. The kid is extremely competitive. He wants to be great. He is accountable, there is no loser mentality. He takes the blame instead of pointing the finger at his under performing team mates and coaches.

9-10. The kid is extremely competitive. He wants to be great. He is accountable, there is no loser mentality. He takes the blame instead of pointing the finger at his under performing team mates and coaches.
None of that means he will be great. Still need elite skills. Thus far he has not shown any. So far he wins the nice guy try hard award.
That will not get you to Canton

Experience will help recognize pressure and coverage. So the check at the line should get better as the season goes.

i am still a little concerned about his arm strength. Not throwing deep but I feel some passes threw to the outside didn’t get there quick enough. Some bubble screen or pass in the flat that takes too long to get there and allows the defender to be in position to make a tackle instantly and don’t offer a possibility to the receiver to make a play.

Experience will help recognize pressure and coverage. So the check at the line should get better as the season goes.

i am still a little concerned about his arm strength. Not throwing deep but I feel some passes threw to the outside didn’t get there quick enough. Some bubble screen or pass in the flat that takes too long to get there and allows the defender to be in position to make a tackle instantly and don’t offer a possibility to the receiver to make a play.
I think that's more of him trying to throw a catchable ball. He's still learning that balance of zipping it in there and making it as catchable as possible.

None of that means he will be great. Still need elite skills. Thus far he has not shown any. So far he wins the nice guy try hard award.
That will not get you to Canton
you want both if you are lucky enough to have it. To me competitive fire is more important than elite skills.
who would you have picked ? I’ll stick with Mac. We’ll check back to see how the progress.

I can’t believe what I saw in the GDT complaining the Pats got rid of Cam :D :D :D :D SMH

Guess they miss those awesome 9-20 80 yards 2 int 30 passer rating games. Mac today under massive pressure still had more pass yards than Cam did in 4 of his games combined. Lmao
I thought Mac played like a seasoned vet with the amount of pressure he was under. Dude was making some nice throws.

I thought Mac played like a seasoned vet with the amount of pressure he was under. Dude was making some nice throws.
He wasn’t as bad as the stats line would say he got a guy in his face everytime he throws. Now, how much is it the OL playing like crap or Mac screwing up the protection?

Went we drafted Mac I liked the drafting of a QB more than I really liked Mac but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. As bad as his numbers looked yesterday I came away somewhat impressed. He was given no time to throw on a lot of plays and stood in there against a nonstop blitz for a lot of the game. I am just nervous he ends up going the way of David Carr if we can't get this offensive line situation figured out. This poor kid is taking a beating and I hope he doesn't end up hurt or shellshocked by the end of the year.

I'm actually a little more inclined to think we have something after rewatching the highlights of yesterday. This kid is in his 3rd NFL game and was forced to 51 ****ing times. 3 interceptions, 1 totally his fault, 1 totally Smith's fault, 1 the game was lost already (< 15 secs left/who cares)

Maybe the key to winning is not asking Mac Jones to throw 51 times his 3rd game in? The defense being able to get off the field after we finally got in the end zone rather than letting up a TD would have helped as well, but I don't blame them for the loss. They didn't play poorly, but we didn't help them out at all spotting the Saints field position & points.

I mean, how in the blue headed hell is Mac Jones our leading rusher? Why does he have 6 rushing attempts while Damien Harris has 6 rushing attempts as well?

******ed.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back