PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can the Pats Stop the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the ravens jump to any early start and coasted from then on, playing conservatively. That seems like sound strategy to me.

Thanks. If you don't count the 1st quarter and early 2nd quarter (about 1 minute or so in), the score was 20-20. It seemed like the Ravens jumped on the Pats right away after having 2 weeks to prepare. I almost guarantee you the 1st quarter was all scripted for Baltimore on offense. I'd like to think the Pats made great adjustments after the 1st quarter after being down 17 points, much like they did against Atlanta (which if you think about it was miraculous, since the Pats didn't come back until the 3rd quarter). The Edelman fumble and then later the Brady INT (which was a lazy throw IMO) really hurt us. I'm hoping Baltimore gave us everything they got that game. Next time, it's our turn.

I would not use DMac for that. We need someone to choke off the vertical routes for Sneed and Hollywood. JMac would be better suited if we’re going to go the spy route. You’ll have to remind me the last time Bill decided to spy a QB all game, though.

He used a spy numerous times on Big Ben and Vick.

He used a spy numerous times on Big Ben and Vick.
I remembered Vick and Ben, I just don’t remember him using spies throughout the entire contest.

Pats will get gouged again against Baltimore if they go 3-4

Luckily we are deep at linebacker

Need more big bodies ... Less dbs
3-4 is fine vs the run as long you two gap and lbs contain

What do you think that we tried to do last time?

I believe that any successful strategy against the ravens start with a spy on Jackson.
They certainly didn’t do it efficiently. We’ve seen this movie before with Tebow, etc. Maintain gap responsibility and stay with your man, regardless of pitch or run.

If the 3-4 works against inside runs, and we can contain with only 7 in the box, then sure a 3-4 is fine.

I would think that this might work, if add an 8th, a spy on Jackson.

So, the ravens jump to any early start and coasted from then on, playing conservatively. That seems like sound strategy to me.

There is a difference between coasting and the other team making adjustments...

This I wholeheartedly agree with-- Jackson damned near REFUSES to throw outside the numbers. Every pass is directly over the middle.

The only problem is, none of our LBs have the speed to keep up with him. If I were trying to tailor a defense against this guy, I'd use 2 CBs to stick the WRs, one FS (McCourty) for back up, bring a SS up towards the line as an extra LB to QB Spy (either Chung or Harmon, but I believe Harmon is faster) and a nose tackle. Everyone else is a Linebacker playing zone or blitzing. Every. Single. Down.

Hit Jackson when you can, and hit him hard, I don't even care if some of those hits are a bit late. Punish him for running. Make him think twice about it, THEN you force him into mistakes. The guy's first instinct is to run, he doesn't want to pass the ball. You have to force him to hesitate, and those split seconds will give the pass rush an opportunity to either get to him or force a bad throw. With McCourty camping the middle, he can't go to his favorite spot in the passing game.

I think Hightower is too slow to be a DE, so I'd play him as the MLB, let him bullrush the A or B gaps. Collins is great on the edge (although not as fast as Jackson) and so is Van Noy and Winovich. As long as Jmac and Gilly are locking up their guy, their passing game is toast.
High doesn't play DE and Jamie doesn't set edges

Agreed. Clearly, the patriots didn't make enough adjustments to beat the ravens. Also, there is little reason, as of now, to believe that our "adjustments" will be sufficient to win the game. After all, we did lose by 17.

The "adjustment" that would do the most good is a ball-controlling offense that score 24 points.

There is a difference between coasting and the other team making adjustments...

Of course, he is the most dynamic player in football. My point is that it is worth looking into how he responds to different blitz packages. While the ends are standing up the tackles ready for contain they can anticipate an inside or outside leverage based upon Jackson's first step tendencies when he sees a mike will Sam or safety blitz.

Again, based on what I've seen, Jackson doesn't have any "first step tendencies". Everything from last year is worthless. The offense is 100% different. People talk about the "IT" factor with Brady. Well, Jackson seems to have "IT" as well. That innate sense to go , deke, swerve, just the right amount at the right time and in the right direction.

The linemen and linebackers of the 49ers are probably the best overall group in the league based on their quickness. How LJ responds there will determine more about the gameplan than anything else, imho.

It's a message forum. You're going to get both takes. Hard to seperate them from one another for all but the hardest of hardcore X's and O's guys.
My complaint was less about what people were saying about the media, fans, and other OT comments, and more about the fact they had NOTHING to do with the thread topic. This was supposed to be about how to stop the Ravens, and for about 15 pages it wasn't.

A lot of good ideas on this thread. I'll print these 23 pages and fax them to Bill. Keep the good ideas flowing.

Ravens are toast.

Agreed. Clearly, the patriots didn't make enough adjustments to beat the ravens. Also, there is little reason, as of now, to believe that our "adjustments" will be sufficient to win the game. After all, we did lose by 17.

The "adjustment" that would do the most good is a ball-controlling offense that score 24 points.

I think there is only so much you can do against the Ravens. Your adjustments are never going to stop them, just slow them down a little. They gave up just as many points in quarters 2-4 as they did in quarter 1 (including the TD at the very beginning of the 2nd quarter). I call these adjustments successful against this excellent Ravens team.

I think the defense is built more against the pass vs run... Other would agree. Last yr was the same issue but they figured it out at the end. Teams also bailed them out by not running..ie rams sb

I hope they can pick up the run defense but it has been a weakness

I think the defense is built more against the pass vs run... Other would agree. Last yr was the same issue but they figured it out at the end. Teams also bailed them out by not running..ie rams sb

I hope they can pick up the run defense but it has been a weakness
???

Are you saying they can or can't stop the run?

They're getting better... Still issues... Elliot was chewing them up... A 3-4 against the ravens will not do it

They're getting better... Still issues... Elliot was chewing them up... A 3-4 against the ravens will not do it
I don't think you understand the concepts of the 3-4. You act like it's a dime D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore