PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How are the Jets doing it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I want to avoid continuing a discussion about something obvious that you are being willfully blind about. Patriots fans here have become just like the Colts fans they despised in the beginning of the 2000s, with the pimping of the regular season record and stats, and the "It happens but the team's still great and next year is the year, and you can't criticize the team!" defense of the postseason bombs. That's just the reality of what's happened.

Pats fans are nothing like Colts fans. Colts fans felt they had the most talent and their team didn't need to improve. It was just bad luck that they didn't win a Super Bowl and the team would eventually win several because it was too talented.

Pats fans expect improvement in their team. They don't put up with losing and want changes. Most Pats fans trust Belichick that he will make the fixes but most are not satisfied that they lose in the playoffs. Understanding that Belichick needs time to rebuild the team and being patient that they can win 14 games in a rebuilding year is nothing like Colts fans who thought they had the best team around and thought the only piece missing from a Super Bowl season was time.

If the Pats don't show improvements this year even if their record is worse than 14-2, then there is time to panic. But this is a young team that was missing a lot of seasoning last year and playing beyond expectations. They probably shouldn't have even made the playoffs as constituted. This is the year they need to take the next step in the post season. Not neccessarily the Super Bowl although they have a shot to win it as constituted, but working their way to that goal.

Sorry, but 32 teams are trying to win a Super Bowl every year. It isn't a right to the Patriots. The Patriots could do everything right every year for the next five years and never win a Super Bowl because another team could do it a little bit better or at least a little better at the right time.

Last edited:
BTW, the Jets' "doing it" may blow up in their face. Whether the reports are true or not right now, odds are Nate Clements is cut. The 49ers need to win the battle for Asomugha. I think they will may give him a deal he can't turn down.

While this happened, the Jets lost out on Antwan Barnes. Cromartie looks like he may be signing with Oakland. Teams look to be pursuing Eric and Brad Smith. Braylon Edwards basically has been told he is gone and will likely sign with someone else possibly before the Asomugha thing is settled.

I wonder if the Jets have a plan B for their free agency or did they put all their eggs in the Asomugha basket assuming he would be willing to take less to come the Jets. If their Plan B was resigning Cromartie and Edwards, they might be out of luck before Nnamdi makes up his mind. Also, Jonathan Joseph is supposed to make up his mind tonight which team he will sign with so he cannot be a Plan B either.

A lot of assumptions there Rob.

And of course the Jets are going to lose some players, most likely Eric and Brad Smith, and as you said almost certainly Braylon Edwards.

However if they lose out on Nnamdi, you can bet they will be ready to pay Braylon. Is it a risk dangling him out there for the time being? Absolutley. But if you have to take that risk to possibly have the two best CB;s in the game, im ok with that.

On to Brad Smith, great player but not the kind you pay money to. Westhoff will find another Brad Smith, just like he found another Justin Miller and another Leon Washington.

Eric Smith, not really a big loss in my opinion, plus we get that scrub Leonar back.

A lot of assumptions there Rob.

And of course the Jets are going to lose some players, most likely Eric and Brad Smith, and as you said almost certainly Braylon Edwards.

However if they lose out on Nnamdi, you can bet they will be ready to pay Braylon. Is it a risk dangling him out there for the time being? Absolutley. But if you have to take that risk to possibly have the two best CB;s in the game, im ok with that.

On to Brad Smith, great player but not the kind you pay money to. Westhoff will find another Brad Smith, just like he found another Justin Miller and another Leon Washington.

Eric Smith, not really a big loss in my opinion, plus we get that scrub Leonar back.

Edwards said on his twitter that the Jets don't want him back. He has already said he won't take a hometown discount. Edwards could have a deal with another team before the night is over.

I really don't know what the Jets are thinking, but they look like their goal all along was to resign Holmes and Asomugha. Rex has a bit of an ego if you haven't gathered. He might be convinced that Nnamdi is going to be a Jet and because of it hasn't thought of a Plan B.

This free agency period is unique because of the short window. It is hard to change course after losing out like that because other teams are scrambling to sign players because many camps open tomorrow and teams have their first preseason game in two weeks. In a normal free agency period, it is easy to rebound from losing out on a big gamble like this. Who knows if you can this year with the unique free agency.

Edwards said on his twitter that the Jets don't want him back. He has already said he won't take a hometown discount. Edwards could have a deal with another team before the night is over.

I really don't know what the Jets are thinking, but they look like their goal all along was to resign Holmes and Asomugha. Rex has a bit of an ego if you haven't gathered. He might be convinced that Nnamdi is going to be a Jet and because of it hasn't thought of a Plan B.

This free agency period is unique because of the short window. It is hard to change course after losing out like that because other teams are scrambling to sign players because many camps open tomorrow and teams have their first preseason game in two weeks. In a normal free agency period, it is easy to rebound from losing out on a big gamble like this. Who knows if you can this year with the unique free agency.

Fair points, but I am going to have faith for the time being that Tannenbaum has a plan B.

Hopefully we never get to see what that is;)

Rex has a bit of an ego if you haven't gathered. He might be convinced that Nnamdi is going to be a Jet and because of it hasn't thought of a Plan B.

I'm SHOCKED....shocked to find Rex gambling like that going on here...

20997943_36f6a59ab2_o.jpg

It looks like the Texans and 49ers are emerging as the top contenders for Asomugha now.

meanwhile,Rat fans are reporting Namdi has signed a four year deal with the Rats as reported by Dennis Thurman, a Rat coach to some guy who knows this guy in the military...so we got THAT breaking news to go on...

I believe there is a $3mil exemption against the cap this year, off a single player's contract.

I believe they exercised it with Holmes.

Signing Bonus = $24mil/5 = $4.8mil/yr - 3mil -> $1.8mil hit in 2011. The rest is backloadable salary.

So his salary is $650k (2011).

Makes signing Asomugha harder and immensely more painful (cuts)

Knowing the rules for cap exemptions and the frontloading that allows, its no surprise the Jets can work this to their advantage.

Although I'd like to see Belichick address some roster issues as much as the next guy, I've got a feeling Belichick is fond of seeing what other teams do, and then developing a team and a team plan to capitalize on opponents weaknesses.

Last year was interesting because the Jets built their team and invested heavilly at CB to counter Randy Moss. Moss of course turned out to be a non-factor and instead Belichick relied heavily on the short game making that heavy investment at CB less of a factor in 2010.

If the Jets devote even more cap space at CB it may be interesting to see how Belichick counters that - and I'm not sure relying on a deep WR for the offense would be the approach.

That's not to say I want to see a Patriots team without a deep WR threat - just that Belichick will avoid playing to another team's strength.

So as much as Jets fans might chortle in the pre-season (as they always do) they shouldn't under-estimate Belichick's ingenuity and ability to turn the Jets strengths into weaknesses.

Last year was interesting because the Jets built their team and invested heavilly at CB to counter Randy Moss. Moss of course turned out to be a non-factor and instead Belichick relied heavily on the short game making that heavy investment at CB less of a factor in 2010.

Cromartie will be an expensive rental if he does not return. Also, where is Kyle Wilson in all this Asomough talk? He was a 1st round pick.

If the Jets devote even more cap space at CB it may be interesting to see how Belichick counters that - and I'm not sure relying on a deep WR for the offense would be the approach.

Running the ball wouldnt be a bad way to counter. Pound the crap out of them for a change.

That's not to say I want to see a Patriots team without a deep WR threat - just that Belichick will avoid playing to another team's strength.

Relax. Im told Taylor Price will save the day.

1) Considering those same Colts went on to win a SB and return to another, their fanbase might have had a bit of a point. In hindsight, they were a pretty solid franchise that shouldn't have been so casually dismissed as "chokers." Their reg season record said "contender." Their playoff record said "pretender." I think with hindsight being 20/20 we can admit that The Colts were indeed legit contenders.

No, they didn't have a point. The Colts were a franchise that could win in the regular season, but couldn't handle it once they got to the playoffs. At this point, you're just grasping at non-existent straws.

And, yes, they were chokers.

2) Dismissing the notion -- that 2 one-and-done seasons must somehow mean our team is just a pretender and not a contender -- is a far cry from acting like the franchise cannot be criticized at all. I hear quite a bit of grumbling these days. I don't think too many are wearing the blinders when it comes to this team. In fact, I'd say the fans wearing the biggest blinders are the opposing ones who are intent on dismissing NE based on two games -- despite the actual talent on the roster.

Pimping the notion that 14-2 shows that problems weren't problems, and using the "anyone can have a bad game" argument while browbeating anyone who dares to disagree is not a far cry from it at all, sorry. Again, you can keep making claims, but they simply aren't true.

Last edited:
BTW, the Jets' "doing it" may blow up in their face. Whether the reports are true or not right now, odds are Nate Clements is cut. The 49ers need to win the battle for Asomugha. I think they will may give him a deal he can't turn down.

While this happened, the Jets lost out on Antwan Barnes. Cromartie looks like he may be signing with Oakland. Teams look to be pursuing Eric and Brad Smith. Braylon Edwards basically has been told he is gone and will likely sign with someone else possibly before the Asomugha thing is settled.

I wonder if the Jets have a plan B for their free agency or did they put all their eggs in the Asomugha basket assuming he would be willing to take less to come the Jets. If their Plan B was resigning Cromartie and Edwards, they might be out of luck before Nnamdi makes up his mind. Also, Jonathan Joseph is supposed to make up his mind tonight which team he will sign with so he cannot be a Plan B either.

While the 49'ers are indeed in play for Asomaugh, the initial report that stated that Nate Clements was cut was extremely unfounded and premature. They later took the story back, and said that he has not been cut, and that they are attempting to restructure his deal.

I don't know if they're waiting to see about Nnamdi first or what, or if they are attempting to keep Clements regardless, but I imagine we'll know more very soon--maybe even tomorrow (Thursday).

Since the Texans lost out on Weddle, they are now attempting to join the Asomaugh sweepstakes too, as they are also in play for Jonathan Joseph too. That now makes 3 teams--the NYJ, HOU, and also SF.

Edit: I'm not saying that SF won't cut Clements, and that they may even do it tomorrow, just that they haven't done it..yet.

Last edited:
Asomugha is colorblind...cannot distinguish different light colors..Deuteranomaly ....

And the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl in 7 years now.

It's only been six years.

And even BB has said that even when everything's going right, it's not easy to win a Super Bowl.

I believe there is a $3mil exemption against the cap this year, off a single player's contract.

Yes and no.

Yes, there's a $3M exemption, but:
(A) It's up to $1M off each of three contracts. Fundamentally speaking, though, it's a distinction without a difference. (There's also a $1.5M exemption next year, up to $500K off each of three contracts.)
(B) It's not free money: it comes dollar for dollar off future caps (between 2014 and 2017).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes