PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston Texans vs the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ Watt has been neutralized by our D so far in time...however, couldn't that have been said for Von Miller prior to last year's AFCG? and then look what happened... a existing trend does not mean it will continue

respect Watt, he is their best player on D, and saying that about any D in the NFL level is worth a lot

I wonder if Watt would be nearly as famous and highly regarded if he wasn't a charismatic white guy with a propensity for nose bleed. I think there are a dozen players of his caliber in the NFL (just last two weeks, Calais Campbell for AZ, and Suh in Miami), and a few that are probably better than him. But he is a media darling and the face of the league. Good for him. But I'm not buying.

I wonder if Watt would be nearly as famous and highly regarded if he wasn't a charismatic white guy with a propensity for nose bleed. I think there are a dozen players of his caliber in the NFL (just last two weeks, Calais Campbell for AZ, and Suh in Miami), and a few that are probably better than him. But he is a media darling and the face of the league. Good for him. But I'm not buying.
So if JJ Watt was a charismatic black guy with the same personality and numbers, he wouldn't be getting the accolades he's getting?

That is such an old cliche that just runs on the surface -->2 posts back

This is a winnable game, but we can't do it from behind. The defense must control their wideouts early and we need to have our best pass rush game to date.

Offence we need to be smart and controlled-watch the careless penalties and have fewer turnovers than Texas, hopefully much fewer. My guess is the backup quarterback which we might see anyways is the wildcat with the little guys creating confusion in shotgun (Edelman, White, Amendola, Foster) and Devlin and Blount on the field.

Special teams needs to win like they did in Arizona.

Hopefully the crowd does its best 12th man.

You should watch Watt play football. You should also listen to people who understand football and not worry about 'the media'
And, yes, Watt IS that good. Way better than Campbell or Suh.

Houston has almost no meaningful tape on Brisett and only two days to come up with a game plan and install it.

I am by no means saying it's an ideal situation for the Pats but it does present an unusual set of circumstances for Houston to deal with.

Unlike most, I think this game is going to be pivotal. If we win, and we should, it will be a huge psychological victory in that the team will now think they can win, no matter what happens to them. It's all about getting momentum and sustaining it for the rest of the year.

To go up 3-0 on the back of your rookie, 3rd round pick quarterback is frankly downright obscene and a big **** you to the other 31 and the puppet they run out of 345 Park ave.

We really can't depend on the run game to carry us. BOB isn't dumb. He's going to sell out to stop the run with a heavy front and stacked box and force Brissett to win with his arm. I think (and hope) we take that hand and play it.

I disagree that we should win. I will be surprised, borderline shocked, if we win. I expect the offense will be a lot like Patriots/Brady circa 2001. Designed plays, safe plays, motions, fakes, misdirection, anything to get the next first down. And plenty of running even if it's not working. And hope the defense keeps us in it. The fact that we're going against a coaching staff that knows us (and vice versa) so well is fascinating.

IMO, we should only need to score 16 points to win.

Come on now JJ is as good as advertised. Probably the best defender of his generation or at least on the very short list, 3 time DMVP. People forget his is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE or OLB. The fact he has had 20.5,20.5, and 17.5 sacks in a season from that position is unheard of before. There isn't another 3-4 DE that can even compare. a 3-4 DE with that. To put into perspective Seymour who was an all pro, only had 8 sacks twice and was routinely in the 5-6 range. Watt completely blows away the production from that position. I would say against the Pats, he was double teamed and TB was very good at getting rid of the ball fast, however last game, Clowney was able to get loose for a couple of sacks. The only defensive player in the conversation with Watt is Miller, nobody else even comes close, and can you imagine if Watt was on that D with the Broncos?

2nd time in 3 games the Patriots are underdogs.

Be interesting as you know they'll open it up for Brisset a bit more (not too much)

Unlike most, I think this game is going to be pivotal. If we win, and we should, it will be a huge psychological victory in that the team will now think they can win, no matter what happens to them. It's all about getting momentum and sustaining it for the rest of the year.

To go up 3-0 on the back of your rookie, 3rd round pick quarterback is frankly downright obscene and a big **** you to the other 31 and the puppet they run out of 345 Park ave.

We really can't depend on the run game to carry us. BOB isn't dumb. He's going to sell out to stop the run with a heavy front and stacked box and force Brissett to win with his arm. I think (and hope) we take that hand and play it.

You had me at **** you to the other 31 and the puppet they run out of 345 Park Ave.

Last edited:
never makes plays in big games, feasts on the ****ty afc south. the defensive version of andrew luck.
hyped to no end..

i could see jj making plays against our B team. just wish we see the texans again in the playoffs with tb12 and gronk.:cool:

Not true at all in 5 Playoff games Watt has

17 Tackles 5 sacks 1INT 1TD 3PD

He makes plays watch this,

Wild Card Can't-Miss Play: Watt a play!

Brisett is not a UDFA, the kid has played the last two years at NC State (which is more action than Jimmy G. had seen in the last two years). I think he has a very quick release, and is much bigger than Jimmy. I would have been worried about Jimmy getting a lot of passes batted down by Watt. I look for a game plan that includes quick screens and slants.

Neither team is really going to surprise the other on Thursday. I'm pretty sure BB knows what BOB and RAC will bring and vice versa. For once, the pressure will be on the visitors in Foxboro. Imagine if they lose to a Bradyless Patriots team with a third string rookie QB? Hopefully the Pats can grab an early lead and sew the seeds of doubt quickly.

2nd time in 3 games the Patriots are underdogs.

Be interesting as you know they'll open it up for Brisset a bit more (not too much)

My Texans season tix holder buddy says their secondary can be exposed.

I think that is the key question. How much of the playbook is Brissett ready for?

Going up against a very good, hard-charging front 7 and a RAC defense isn't exactly ideal.

I disagree that we should win. I will be surprised, borderline shocked, if we win. I expect the offense will be a lot like Patriots/Brady circa 2001. Designed plays, safe plays, motions, fakes, misdirection, anything to get the next first down. And plenty of running even if it's not working. And hope the defense keeps us in it. The fact that we're going against a coaching staff that knows us (and vice versa) so well is fascinating.
Why they shouldnt win? Remember everyone saying that our D is top 5. So let D do their job. Defense win SBs. Run D is great, Fuller worries me
I am more confident in our Oline than i was at start. Solder and Thuney were monsters in run game. I hope that DAvid Andrews limping is not serious. Watt is probably not 100% and he has short time of recovery between last and thursday game and with potential Gronk returning and maybe High i think that texans wont be much of a problem eveen with brissett

My Texans season tix holder buddy says their secondary can be exposed.

I think that is the key question. How much of the playbook is Brissett ready for?

Going up against a very good, hard-charging front 7 and a RAC defense isn't exactly ideal.

I disagree, the secondary is very solid, but ILB core, they can be exposed by RB's and slot guys, also against runs in the middle, Wilfork is pretty much slightly better than trash this point in his career.

Fuller against Ryan kind of frightens me. That's a mismatch of epic proportions. I expect Belichick to have a safety shade his side of field consistently.
Why does that match-up frighten you? I thought Ryan was a "great" #2 corner.

I disagree, the secondary is very solid, but ILB core, they can be exposed by RB's and slot guys, also against runs in the middle, Wilfork is pretty much slightly better than trash this point in his career.
He says jackson, johnson and Joseph are just OK. Demps is a stop-gap. Hal is ok. Said Bouye is pretty good.

He said if Brady and Gronk were out there we'd hang 40 on 'em without breaking a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes