PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hopefully blockbuster concussion lawsuit against the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

No. Many, I understand, who favor a more malleable citizenry see great advantages in cultivating a more sissified ethos among America's men. Unregenerate maleness, white maleness in particular, is now blamed for many of the nation's and indeed the world's ills. In such an environment, those who enjoy knocking one another senseless for the sheer hell of it are not likely to fare well. Indeed, I shall expect such simple tesosterone-driven joys effectively to be outlawed over the next decade or so.

Other, less, "sophisticated," cultures will then have their day. It happened to the Romans, and it's happening to us. So grab that man purse, head down to the boutique, and get in a little shopping. The game's been cancelled.

Some people would not be opposed to the NFL burning to the ground in a Carrie-like aftermath soon after Belichick and Brady retired, just after the Pats won their tenth Superbowl, with impending civil lawsuits leaving Roger Goodell, Troy Vincent, Jeff Pash and a few others penniless and living in cardboard boxes under a leaky bridge.
I like NFL football.

No. Many, I understand, who favor a more malleable citizenry see great advantages in cultivating a more sissified ethos among America's men. Unregenerate maleness, white maleness in particular, is now blamed for many of the nation's and indeed the world's ills. In such an environment, those who enjoy knocking one another senseless for the sheer hell of it are not likely to fare well. Indeed, I shall expect such simple tesosterone-driven joys effectively to be outlawed over the next decade or so.

Other, less, "sophisticated," cultures will then have their day. It happened to the Romans, and it's happening to us. So grab that man purse, head down to the boutique, and get in a little shopping. The game's been cancelled.

You must be a Marlboro man. Tough, rugged with a butt hanging from your lips.

Nevermind that they not only knew that nicotine was addictive but they also knew how to increase the nicotine levels to ensure the addiction. Profits trumps the unknowing cool Joe user.

Or maybe it was all the asbestos our grandfather's were sucking into their lungs. Meh, production over the unknowing producing house dweller. Practically a lab rat anyways.

Maybe playing and watching football can be done without watching some rich tycoon profiting from another unknowing gladiator.

The ethos hasn't become one of sissiness rather a lack of trust and anger.

Last edited:
The NFL will probably outspend it and it will get buried in the news cycle as a result, but it's definitely a good thing. The lawsuits are beginning to pile up and they're chipping away at the NFL both financially and from a consumer confidence standpoint.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the ambulance chasing jackals of the legal criminal profession and their crocodile tears over CTE.

Obozo Care is failing because although they imposed Price controls and mandates on Nurses, Doctors and Hospitals the Congressmen, fellow tort sharks all, did NOT do that to the tort attorneys and their malpractice lawsuits...

Of the hundreds of companies bankrupted to fund the $30 billion to go to the victims of asbestos, more than $15 billion ended up in the ambulance chasers pockets.

If we were serious about CTE, sports where the express object is a KNOCKOUT i.e. a CTE event, would be banned. But the deep pockets for the legal sharks are not there to be tapped, so no one, ( i. e. tort lawyer) cares.

Of the $200 billion meant to clean up the so-called Super Fund pollution sites, only a paltry few billion was actually spent on mitigation; and much more went to the tort lawyers.

Last edited:
I've never played a down of american football, yet there is a fair chance I'll end up suffering from dementia. Alzheimers is a huge problem and has no link to concussions. The link with depression and suicide, again, it will affect thousands of people whether they have had a concussion or not. How you prove cause and effect here, I don't know.

The problem I have with this legal argument is this. If the average career of a NFL player is 3 years, and he also played 4 years of NCAA college, 4 years of the highest tier of state high school ball, 2 yr of jr high, 2 yrs of elementary school ball, and 3 yrs of pee wee, then that's only 17% (1/6th) of all cumulative hits received during his playing career from his time solely in the NFL.

Why then are the NFL the only ones at fault, and none of the others - who are probably just as much blame for the overall cumulative damage?

The problem I have with this legal argument is this. If the average career of a NFL player is 3 years, and he also played 4 years of NCAA college, 4 years of the highest tier of state high school ball, 2 yr of jr high, 2 yrs of elementary school ball, and 3 yrs of pee wee, then that's only 17% (1/6th) of all cumulative hits received during his playing career from his time solely in the NFL.

Why then are the NFL the only ones at fault, and none of the others - who are probably just as much blame for the overall cumulative damage?

I haven't seen anyone say that the NFL is alone in culpability. Can you provide a link to a significant source on that?

The NCAA schools are the others that are making a ton of money from football, but are much harder to sue. They can't even regulate themselves.

Not an easy fix, but a significant percentage can be prevented by repealing the 1978 chuck rule. You know, the rule that gets "re-emphasized." Before that the DB played defense by staying close and trying to throw off the timing. If the receiver got beyond arms length, it was irrelevant. It was changed mostly because - I forget the name, was it Mel Blount?- was physical in the short middle (linebacker area). If we go back and people try to cover, say Julio Jones with a linebacker - or even Gronk or Edelman - that will not be an issue. What we have now is if you can't make a play on the ball let it hit the receiver then before he completes a football act - whatever that is - hit him hard enough that he drops it, but not hard enough to draw a flag.

I believe if the NFL knowingly covered up research regarding the affects of playing the game and distributed misinformation about the safety of playing that was read by parents, coaches and players at all levels then they share a majority of the responsibility.

That applies to both CTE and the addiction to pain meds.

Btw high schools are being sued for concussion related deaths.

You must be a Marlboro man. Tough, rugged with a butt hanging from your lips.

Nevermind that they not only knew that nicotine was addictive but they also knew how to increase the nicotine levels to ensure the addiction. Profits trumps the unknowing cool Joe user.

Or maybe it was all the asbestos our grandfather's were sucking into their lungs. Meh, production over the unknowing producing house dweller. Practically a lab rat anyways.

Maybe playing and watching football can be done without watching some rich tycoon profiting from another unknowing gladiator.

The ethos hasn't become one of sissiness rather a lack of trust and anger.
I'm not agreeing with him on concussions and a freakin' game. (Aside: The ancient Spartans were pissed the original Olympic sport of pankration banned eye gouging. The Persians agreed. :) )
However there is a historical school with wooden shoes going up the stairs and silk slippers coming down.
I don't think noticing that banging your head repeatedly is not OK qualifies, but OK, whatever.

I haven't seen anyone say that the NFL is alone in culpability. Can you provide a link to a significant source on that?

The NCAA schools are the others that are making a ton of money from football, but are much harder to sue. They can't even regulate themselves.

I've seen nothing saying any organization except the NFL was the sole target. Maybe I'm wrong, but the NCAA has never been mentioned in any of these head injury suits/articles of such.

Having concerns regarding football head trauma does not make one a sissy. And knocking a opponent down - imposing ones will on another is great theater. We are referring to the after effects. A by product of the spectacle we enjoy.

And as far as the romans go, the spectacles got more intense as the society degenerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back