PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez suffered most severe CTE ever found in a person his age

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I doubt smoking PCP regularly for years would be a contributing factor for brain atrophy...nah...it's all football's fault.

Thank you Bruce Cutler...:cool:

Cry me a river, shouldn't have smoked angel dust

yeah, I doubt smoking PCP regularly for years would be a contributing factor for brain atrophy...nah...it's all football's fault.

Thank you Bruce Cutler...:cool:

I'm not interested in defending Hernandez, but when you've got someone severely affected by brain trauma who self medicates with drugs - kinda becomes a chicken or egg situation.

and when you got a bunch of people formerly riding the gravy train of NFL riches on a player's back suddenly cut off from their treasure bath, they hire a requisite mouthpiece to litigate whatever they possibly can to gain back those lost riches...thus "THE WORST CASE OF CTE IN HISTORY!!"...you actually think I trust ANYBODY involved in this farce from the start?

As I've said before, the problem I have with these studies is that they can't be done until someone is dead, and they don't have a control group to compare with. I don't doubt that he had the worst CTE that they've ever seen in someone his age, but I wonder just how many people his age they've tested for CTE (probably not too many or he could be the only one for all we know), either football players or non-football players with a history of drug use, as someone said above. The BU study's flaw is they only get football players' brains with known problems while they were alive. The article also says that Hernandez had some genetic predisposition to develop brain problems, so who knows how that affected him too.

Reading the article though, you can't help but feel terribly sad for Hernandez's daughter and his victims and their families. He was seriously messed up, no matter what the cause.

I am pretty sure that the evidence for football induced CTE is very strong. There is also evidence that CTE impacts behavior, which makes sense when you realize that the mind and the brain are the same thing. As to how much of Hernandez’s behavior was due to CTE, who knows?

and when you got a bunch of people formerly riding the gravy train of NFL riches on a player's back suddenly cut off from their treasure bath, they hire a requisite mouthpiece to litigate whatever they possibly can to gain back those lost riches...thus "THE WORST CASE OF CTE IN HISTORY!!"...you actually think I trust ANYBODY involved in this farce from the start?
that is a good point

i know i dont trust anyone

Was this an independent study or was it funded by Hernandez' family's lawyers?

DRUG USE DOES NOT CAUSE CTE

Sorry for the caps but that's a basic point that very few posters seem to understand or internalize. CTE is a specific kind of degenerative cognitive impairment. Drug and alcohol abuse can impair cognitive function but the pathophysiology is markedly different than CTE, which presents similarly to (but can be differentiated from) dementia or Alzheimer's.

That drug abuse may both result from and interact with CTE and therefore compound behavioral abnormalities is clear, however.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I knew this. I was just so aggravated at that headline that I suspended my own belief and lashed out erroneously. Sometimes I sacrifice MY integrity to make a point that DOES have rectitude...and that is that sensationalist headline being a ridiculous canard. Thanx for bringing me down to earth, prime.

DRUG USE DOES NOT CAUSE CTE

Sorry for the caps but that's a basic point that very few posters seem to understand or internalize. CTE is a specific kind of degenerative cognitive impairment. Drug and alcohol abuse can impair cognitive function but the pathophysiology is markedly different than CTE, which presents similarly to (but can be differentiated from) dementia or Alzheimer's.

That drug abuse may both result from and interact with CTE and therefore compound behavioral abnormalities is clear, however.
Stop muddying up the waters with science, research and logic, Snowflake...;)

As I've said before, the problem I have with these studies is that they can't be done until someone is dead, and they don't have a control group to compare with. I don't doubt that he had the worst CTE that they've ever seen in someone his age, but I wonder just how many people his age they've tested for CTE (probably not too many or he could be the only one for all we know), either football players or non-football players with a history of drug use, as someone said above. The BU study's flaw is they only get football players' brains with known problems while they were alive. The article also says that Hernandez had some genetic predisposition to develop brain problems, so who knows how that affected him too.

Reading the article though, you can't help but feel terribly sad for Hernandez's daughter and his victims and their families. He was seriously messed up, no matter what the cause.
I agree their scientific method is incomplete but iirc of the ~100 brains they have examined ~99 have CTE.

At a minimum they have proven NFL players get CTE.

This is all about money and the Hernandez estate is trying to get the balance of his contract.

it's all FUBAR since you can't tell what hits caused damage and whether or not his bad habits played a part in it.......he chose to play football long before he was with the Pats.......

He has been playing football for a while both in Ct. and for Florida, and he came up in a time when the long term effects of concussion were just starting to emerge..

Not sure why his lawsuit does not include Florida where he played 40 games, he played 38 for the NEP.. he played 28 games at Bristol High School..

As far as I can tell there was only one report of a concussion in in the Superbowl in 2011 when he was with the NEP.. most of the injuries with the Pats had to do with knee, hip and legs..

He has been playing football for a while both in Ct. and for Florida, and he came up in a time when the long term effects of concussion were just starting to emerge..

Not sure why his lawsuit does not include Florida where he played 40 games, he played 38 for the NEP.. he played 28 games at Bristol High School..

As far as I can tell there was only one report of a concussion in in the Superbowl in 2011 when he was with the NEP.. most of the injuries with the Pats had to do with knee, hip and legs..

Concussions have been happening in the NFL since forever but as it is diagnosed right now it's a thing that started 2 years ago, basically they are treating any headache and head hit as a concussion at a minimum symptom.

Before this 2 or 3 year mark when the studies started to come out, the Will Smith movie etc, and the law suits, people were playing concussed all over the place.

The other thing to note is that from what I understand, concussions are not necessary for CTE. Repeated even minor head trauma is sufficient.

I have to admit, I knew this. I was just so aggravated at that headline that I suspended my own belief and lashed out erroneously. Sometimes I sacrifice MY integrity to make a point that DOES have rectitude...and that is that sensationalist headline being a ridiculous canard. Thanx for bringing me down to earth, prime.

You're the best poster on this site, at least in terms of entertainment provided. And what else are we here for, anyways?

For the good of the league and football we need an immediate biopsy of Ray Lewis' (he killed a guy) brain to check for CTE and validate this research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes