PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hogan should get cut this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job you can read an online news article...

You could also see it in the game and the highlights since. But regardless of where one sees that play, it’s an illustration on where Brady’s been off since the Chiefs game, really.

Regardless I agree Brady and the O Line is more the problem than the WR.

All three were problems yesterday. Now that the stats are rolling in, the WRs averaged 2.4 yards of separation per pass play yesterday. That’s a problem for any team and especially immobile QB that can’t extend plays with his legs and is risk averse. Follow that up with a defense that allows way too many yards and time to be chewed up when you can’t have a defense that does that when the offense is struggling and you get the result that we saw yesterday - a team that stunk out loud.

Brady's love affair with Gordon needs to end. It should be judicious not default/automatic. I understand that Gordon has pulled off some spectacular catches when seemingly covered, but relying on these seemingly low percentage plays, or in effect on athleticism rather than scheme is exactly what the rest of the league does and we don't. We outperform based on better game plan, scheme, and ability to get playmakers open, and not on relying on outstanding athleticism, which is why the rest of the league overpays for these big bodied athletes/WRs and we don't. Brady needs to refocus on finding the open man and not finding Gordon. Way too many throws were forced to him when he CLEARLY wasn't open.

This focus on one guy brings me back to the Achilles heel of the Moss era. Tom would totally focus on Moss.
But we would win, UNLESS an elite D pressured TFB up the middle such that he had no time to go to a doubled Moss downfield.

This season the over focus on Gordon is not paying off because (1) Moss >> Gordon especially with Gordon being a newbie to this O, (2) this year's OL not as good as the Moss era's, minus key injury back then and (3) TFB reacting negatively more to pressure these days.

I have no idea what the situation is with Hogan this season.

This is a contract year for Hogan, his output should be up and down.

This focus on one guy brings me back to the Achilles heel of the Moss era. Tom would totally focus on Moss.
But we would win, UNLESS an elite D pressured TFB up the middle such that he had no time to go to a doubled Moss downfield.

This season the over focus on Gordon is not paying off because (1) Moss >> Gordon especially with Gordon being a newbie to this O, (2) this year's OL not as good as the Moss era's, minus key injury back then and (3) TFB reacting negatively more to pressure these days.

I have no idea what the situation is with Hogan this season.

I think Brady zeroing on Gordon (and White) has more to do with the other receivers failing to get open or inspire confidence. Heck, Brady was throwing to Gronk when he could barely run because he makes contested catches.

The problem is that Brady's become Alex Smith of Chiefs vintage without Smith's legs. He's either tossing it up to Gordon (often underthrowing him) and trusting him to win contested balls regardless of whether he's open, or he's checking it down to White. There are a lot of elements at play here and it's not just Brady, it's not just the line, and it's not just the receivers - it's a combination of all three. You can get lucky with that sort of offense, and Smith's Chiefs were never pushovers, but you're much more likely to have bad days than the Patriots of yesteryear.

Frankly, they really miss Amendola, perhaps even more than they miss a healthy Gronk, because you could always count on him to be open down the middle.

Hogan is track to have 100 more yards than he had last year, and hundred under 2016, his best season ever. But zero catches over the past two games is stinky.

Brady really needs to go through his progressions, or at least have someone besides Edelman or Gordon as the first read occasionally because he seems to lock on to someone and throws into double or triple coverage.
He didn’t have a lot of time for progression yesterday.

I think Brady zeroing on Gordon (and White) has more to do with the other receivers failing to get open or inspire confidence. Heck, Brady was throwing to Gronk when he could barely run because he makes contested catches.

The problem is that Brady's become Alex Smith of Chiefs vintage without Smith's legs. He's either tossing it up to Gordon (often underthrowing him) and trusting him to win contested balls regardless of whether he's open, or he's checking it down to White. There are a lot of elements at play here and it's not just Brady, it's not just the line, and it's not just the receivers - it's a combination of all three. You can get lucky with that sort of offense, and Smith's Chiefs were never pushovers, but you're much more likely to have bad days than the Patriots of yesteryear.

Frankly, they really miss Amendola, perhaps even more than they miss a healthy Gronk, because you could always count on him to be open down the middle.

I agree, yesterday on fourth down. I’d make any bet anyone wanted dola is open for and makes that first down. I realize it’s easy to say you’d bet on it when it’s not possible. I’m just saying that if he were here, he always makes that play

The popular explanation that Brady, under duress, was simply unloading to his most talented receiver is no doubt the correct one.

My immediate reaction while watching live, however, was that it looked like some kind of preseason experiment to see how good Gordon, freshly off the injury report, could be when repeatedly force-fed the ball, regardless of coverage - to see if he ranks among that elite handful of WR who always seem to produce, even when doubled.

Definitely miss Amendola....Hogan has been a great and incredibly clutch player for us over past few years.....However, his health has always been a concern.....and he is getting older....and his game has dropped way off.....if there was someone else that they could bring in that would be better WR for us....I would unfortunately cut him ASAP.....same with Dorsett who has been major disappointment.....but first we need to address OL which is horrible

This is Hogan's 3rd season with the Pats (he turns 31 in October 2019):

- 2016 .. missed one game (back) .. 55 O-snaps/gm (74%)
... 38 rec/680 yds .. 17.9 YPC .. 2.5 rec/gm .. 66% catch rate .. 4 TDs

- 2017 .. missed 7 games (shoulder) .. 66 O-snaps/gm (90%)
... 34 rec/439 yds .. 12.9 YPC .. 3.8 rec/gm .. 58% catch rate .. 5 TDs

- 2018 .. 10 games, no games missed .. 55 O-snaps/gm (79%) + 100 ST snaps
... 23 rec/333 yds .. 14.5 YPC .. 2.3 rec/gm .. 66% catch rate .. 2 TDs

Dorsett 2018 - 10 games, no games missed .. 30 O-snaps/gm (43%)
... 25 rec/246 yds .. 9.8 YPC .. 2.5 rec/gm .. 83% catch rate .. 2 TDs

Yes. Today especially Josh McD had Brady tunnel vision locked on Gordon....

Last two games (without Gronk):

Brady = 76 pass attempts

Gordon = 28% of tgts .. 41% catch rate .. 211 yds .. 1 TD
Edelman = 29% of tgts .. 68% catch rate .. 175 yds

7 others = 43% of tgts .. 70% catch rate .. 206 yds

Brady = 76 pass attempts

That about says it all. 70% catch-rate to everyone else and 28% catch-rate to Gordon. And not all those throws are low percentage bombs down the field..............

I dont think it was Joshes call, TB had a bad game, he struggled so it looked like he keyed on JG.

There needs to be much more acknowledgment of the fact that Brady ultimately makes the play call at the LoS. McD may send in a 2-4 item "menu" of plays for Brady to select from, but McD doesn't make the final decision on which play actually gets run or who Brady decides to target. The game plan may have been for the offense to use Gordon mostly as a decoy to draw off the DBs, and then to attack the LBs with other guys ... and Brady simply went a different way.

Hopefully the bye week will give this team to get healthy and Brady to get his act together and we definitely need to get everyone involved on this team If we wanna make a playoff run.
Hogan, Dorsett, Allen all need to start contributing but Brady needs to give these guys a chance.

Over the past two games (without Gronk):

Allen: 2 of 2, 31 yds
Dorsett: 5-5, 48 yds
Hogan: 0-3 (wide open at least twice against TEN, but Brady threw into coverage somewhere else)

Last edited:

Brady = 76 pass attempts

Look at those numbers. There’s no reason brady should be locking into Gordon that much. 40% catch rate?

Look at those numbers. There’s no reason brady should be locking into Gordon that much. 40% catch rate?

It's seemed at times over the past two games that Brady/McD were almost trying to use Gordon as a substitute for Gronk. Gordon's 44-yard catch on the Pats first offensive series was off a seam route run out of the slot where Gordon ended up getting matched-up with an LB.

It's seemed at times over the past two games that Brady/McD were almost trying to use Gordon as a substitute for Gronk. Gordon's 44-yard catch on the Pats first offensive series was off a seam route run out of the slot where Gordon ended up getting matched-up with an LB.

Which is at matchup we should/and did exploit.

But then you have plays like later in that drive where white beats the LB on an outroute but Brady’s already decided the balls going to Gordon that he never looks whites way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes