PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's the most compelling reason NOT to trade Jimmy G. for high picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compelling.....if not overwhelming.

14 of 33 draft picks Belichik has made between the 12th pick in the 1st round and the end of the 2nd round were non-contributors to the Pats success......

I'd highlight "Brandon Merriweather" and not "Laurence Maroney" but whatever, that's nitpicking and your point would still be the same.

It's an interesting point, too, because maybe that explains BB's love for volume of picks more so than quality.

So let's say that 40% of the choices turn out to be failures, that means that if the pats were to get TWO picks in this category their probability of getting two duds would be 16%. That gives them an 84% probability of getting a player of value.

So perhaps we just need to shift our expectations to the reality of a First and mid Second equalling one good player and not two. Of course someone will have to agree to the First and Second round picks in a trade.

I'd highlight "Brandon Merriweather" and not "Laurence Maroney" but whatever, that's nitpicking and your point would still be the same.

It's an interesting point, too, because maybe that explains BB's love for volume of picks more so than quality.

So let's say that 40% of the choices turn out to be failures, that means that if the pats were to get TWO picks in this category their probability of getting two duds would be 16%. That gives them an 84% probability of getting a player of value.

So perhaps we just need to shift our expectations to the reality of a First and mid Second equalling one good player and not two. Of course someone will have to agree to the First and Second round picks in a trade.

ok.......I can go with that

so with the 2 picks lets say you get one solid player who even makes the probowl during their rookie contract....it's not going to be a QB

how much is that worth to you? in a day when the pats juggle draft picks for players and have guys like brandin cooks, kony ealy, and dwayne allen

I think the Pats are in a different place right now and looking Brady as a year to year prospect that could decline at any given moment (this idea of 3-4 years is insanely arbitrary as the decline of an all pro QB is not going to be this gradual thing....they're good until they're not....pretty black and white)...with that in mind, the Pats are more interested in bringing in players who have show something rather than guys they need to develop while the clock on the goat is ticking.

I think relatively speaking, the front office is placing a lower than usual value on draft picks given current times....there's not that much room on the roster for player development and it's not that important as long as the current conditions exist

JG has no value as long as Brady is good to go........if Brady goes down, then JG is worth more than anything they can get in the draft.

I think the instance where the season is blown because of no backup is the least desirable situation there is. I also think that there is nobody out there that can come close to what JG could do in Brady's place.

people act like the only thing that matter is what draft picks you can get for JG and that is simply not the case....with this team, rookies will help in relatively small contributions...yes thuney started 16 games and mitchell contributed, but the pats can already find guys like that with the picks that they currently have....our 1 and 2 did nothing last year

EDIT: I like that through free agency, they made a young team even younger

Last edited:
Pretty decisive about Jimmy from careful Mike..

Suppose the team could get a high first round pick or a package of a first rounder and high second round picks: what would they do with them? I mean seriously. Look at every position. You going to spend high on a cornerback? a safety? a linebacker? (Assuming that Hightower gets re-signed) Go for oline? TE? Wide receiver? I mean outside of going after a stud tight end to replace Gronk down the road, I see no compelling reason to stock up on high draft picks. Surely you wouldn't spend a high pick just for a running back, which could be obtained later in the draft?

Examine each position of need on the team, and you have a hard time finding a compelling need to give up a very VALUABLE asset (Jimmy G) in exchange for a draft pick to fill that perceived need.

BB has really built a stacked team. It seems that the teams current needs can be addressed in the draft from the third round on.

Do you see it differently? Discuss.
LT Solders contract has 1 year left.
IOL certainly could improve.
RB Duh
WR edelman has 1 year left on his contract.

DE major need
DT branch is old valentine is still a ?
CB if butler leaves who is 2 now? Who is 3 now?

Plenty of need/upgrade potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick