PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have opinions of Phillip Dorsett changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 good game.
2 lousy games.
1 meh game.

I'm glad that he finally played good.

He should be a 3rd-4th WR, not a 1st option like he has been.

He is a 4th option. Only a 3rd if hogan sucks or something. And a 5th to 6th receiving option

You can do a lot worse than Dorsett at this place on the depth chart. Pats 4th wrs don’t do much

Last edited:
Through 4 games, the top 4 receivers are:

White - 28 catches on 40 targets
Gronk - 17 catches on 24 targets
Dorsett - 16 catches on 21 targets
Hogan - 8 catches on 15 targets*

*Patterson has 8 catches on 12 targets, but I think it's fair to give the #4 spot to Hogan based upon the type of passes being caught

1 good game.
2 lousy games.
1 meh game.

I'm glad that he finally played good.
And yet he has twice as many catches as Hogan.

Through 4 games, the top 4 receivers are:

White - 28 catches on 40 targets
Gronk - 17 catches on 24 targets
Dorsett - 16 catches on 21 targets
Hogan - 8 catches on 15 targets*

*Patterson has 8 catches on 12 targets, but I think it's fair to give the #4 spot to Hogan based upon the type of passes being caught
James White has easily been our most productive offensive target so far this season. Could have had close to or over 100 yards receiving today w/o Thuney's unnecessary hold.

On a pace for close to 100 catches for the year. Obviously that isn't going to happen with Edelman coming back but wouldn't be surprised if White has 70-80 catches this season.

Last edited:
The depth of my evening was watching ‘Alaskan Bush People’
My last trip to Anchorage, I suspected the ladies had bushes. I wouldn’t want to watch a show about it.

Hes still a 4th WR on most teams - the Dolphins are overrated and were not ready today - hoping Gordon's presence alone will keep these lower end receivers with more opportunity to get open with less attention to them

James White has easily been our most productive offensive target so far this season. Could have had close to or over 100 yards receiving today w/o Thuney's unnecessary hold.

On a pace for close to 100 catches for the year. Obviously that isn't going to happen with Edelman coming back but wouldn't be surprised if White has 70-80 catches this season.
White is an underrated stud that any team would be thrilled to have - he's our version of a very poor mans Alvin Kamara lol

My read on that drop is that Brady overthrew him. Dorsett did well to even get his hands on that ball.

It didn't hit him in stride though. You don't wind up on your belly when a throw hits you in stride. He had to lunge for the ball. That's an overthrow.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. I thought I saw Dorsett have to leave his feet to try and make that catch. If I was mistaken, I was mistaken.

you are right, dorsett did leave his feet, although i'm not sure he had to. it still hit him in both hands, though, and solidly (not a fingertip catch). he should have caught it:

N0t really, I still think he's a good WR4, a maybe-adequate WR3, or a badly overmatched WR2, depending on the matchup. I don't like him much in the role he's had to play for four weeks, but I expect I'll like him a lot more in the role he's likely to play going forward.

you are right, dorsett did leave his feet, although i'm not sure he had to. it still hit him in both hands, though, and solidly (not a fingertip catch). he should have caught it:

That was a great throw by Brady, any NFL WR should routinely catch balls that hit them in both hands without fully extending. It's not the end of the world that he dropped it, everyone drops some and the defender did a good job of making sure he couldn't secure it after the bobble, but it was definitely a drop.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. I thought I saw Dorsett have to leave his feet to try and make that catch. If I was mistaken, I was mistaken.

You were mistaken, no big deal. While it wasn't a super! easy catch to make it was much closer to easy than difficult. It was a very good throw and an NFL pro WR makes that catch most of the time. But he dropped it and that's that. On another play Brady lead him too much and Dorsett made a damn fine catch.

Every so often receivers drop catches they should make, it happens. Jules, Gronk, White, Hogan - drops happen. No need to, IMHO, dwell on one drop as Dorsett seems to have shown pretty good hands when the ball is put in his 'catch zone' (put another way, catching the ball doesn't seem to be one of Dorsett's issue).

As far as where Dorsett should be on the depth chart? Without Jules he has been higher up than necessary. With Jules back and hopefully back to form, things are probably looking up for Dorsett (and Hogan). Once Jules starts eating up those catches that extend drives and drives the opposing HCs/DCs crazy, it should put Doresett right where the Patriots need him to be. And with some growth over the season, maybe, hopefully, Dorsett will start coming into his own. Right now I'd expect to see him have a good game then quiet game type pattern.

That was a great throw by Brady, any NFL WR should routinely catch balls that hit them in both hands without fully extending. It's not the end of the world that he dropped it, everyone drops some and the defender did a good job of making sure he couldn't secure it after the bobble, but it was definitely a drop.

Agree: Dorsett have shown very good hands though I see good things for him and our Offense going forward. Starting Thursday night the Patriots Offense is back. :cool:

Nah. He had a good game and made some clutch catches but he’s still best used as a WR4 which is the role he’ll slide into this coming week with Edelman returning and Gordon seeing more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes