PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Reportedly Still Undecided On Playing Next Year:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly how would we pay his upcoming big extension?
I haven't worked that out yet.
Who is taking up our cap for next season?
Flowers and Mason are free agents.
5th year options may or may not be picked up for Shelton and Brown.
Hightower and Devin Mccourty could restructure.
I'm sure cap space could be created.
For me it's not the money portion that I believe would make BB trade Gronk if it comes to that.
It's the disrespect and splitting of the locker room it could create.

Now I wish BB and Gronk sit down and have a few beers and work it out then bro hug.
However I don't think that will be the end result.
The Clowney trade is the most unlikely scenario but I'd entertain it if we think we can make the cap work.
My preference is to keep Gronk happy and beasting. Not just with Tom but whoever the next signal caller could be.

If Gronk needs to retire, then he should. If he is shooting his way out of Town, three trades I make in a second.:

1) So "Actor Boy" can reach the left cost and join that demographic as long as he polishes up his Spanish ( "Hola! Me llamo Roberto." and "Yo soy fiesta baby") A Trade to the Chargers might work. Chargers pick in the second Round #48 plus TE Hunter Henry.

2) Raiders even up for Kahlil Mack. I know....another salary malcontent but the DE/Edge position has a larger salary slot worth in the NFL. Might want to put more money into a guy who wants to play and has no distractions. We have the CAP for a long term with him.

3)49ers for TE Kittle and their#9 in the first and we send them our 3rd #95 to make it work.

Enough of this crap.
DW Toys

DW Toys don't even mention Kittle the Patriots had all the inside connection on that guy and passed why I have no idea.:confused:

If Gronk needs to retire, then he should. If he is shooting his way out of Town, three trades I make in a second.:

1) So "Actor Boy" can reach the left cost and join that demographic as long as he polishes up his Spanish ( "Hola! Me llamo Roberto." and "Yo soy fiesta baby") A Trade to the Chargers might work. Chargers pick in the second Round #48 plus TE Hunter Henry.

2) Raiders even up for Kahlil Mack. I know....another salary malcontent but the DE/Edge position has a larger salary slot worth in the NFL. Might want to put more money into a guy who wants to play and has no distractions. We have the CAP for a long term with him.

3)49ers for TE Kittle and their#9 in the first and we send them our 3rd #95 to make it work.

Enough of this crap.
DW Toys

I wonder if Buffalo would give up both their first round picks for their home town hero.

I would do that in a heartbeat.

At first I thought he would miss a couple days then show up, but it seems he is holding out now. I think he is threatening retirement to try and get a bigger contract. My problem with this is that the guy cant play a full season. I say we just trade him to the highest bidder now.

Whatever it is BB is going to do, I support it. There may be some tension between Gronk and BB. I hope they can find a common ground and move on or BB will do what is best for the team. Either way, I'll be fine. If Gronk is traded, I wish him nothing but the best. He'll be missed.

I wonder if Buffalo would give up both their first round picks for their home town hero.

I don't think they ever would it would be a fleecing

Browns offer their #4, #115, and #150 for Gronk. Do you make the trade?

I'd consider Clowney for Gronk straight up.
The value is much higher for Clowney unfortunately. We would have to throw in.
Love Clowney but can't fit economically. Might be easier to get Watt as the DT value is less.

Might be easier to get Patrick Peterson from the Cards in trade.

A trade that could happen would be Gronk (The Bronc) and our third rounder (#95) for the Bronco's #5 in the first and .......Paxton Lynch???

Why?
Positives:
  • Lynch has better stats than Rosen, Darnold and Allen in college.
  • Has bigger arm than Rosen and Darnold.
  • Is more of a Brady like pocket passer/rush slider.
  • Is not a fit for the Bronco's Offense who are more of a roll-out O which is why Keenam fits maybe better than Cousins would have. So Lynch has been a square peg in a round hole......available
  • He was involved in a "Swap-a-Starting QB" challenge the last two years so we can have him but fix that mind set.
  • A pre-season game shoulder injury hurt his progress in 2016.
  • The top three QB's in this class all have had injury issues so there is no advantage over Lynch.
  • The biggest? He has won in the NFL. He has starts. He did not crap himself like these three might ala Ryan Leaf. So he is one leg up at only 25 years old.
  • He has committed himself to train with TB guru Guerrero.........Why? Is this a clue?
  • We do not have to invest a first rounder QB for a definite maybe.
Can Josh mold him during the next couple years especially if he is "on-deck" head coach?

Negatives:

• He is about average in intelligence. Allen actually had the best Wonderlic. Get him heavy dose of play book asap.
  • Consistency. No different than when Young took over for Montana, Favre, Ryan etc. Snaps solves this.
  • Decision making has to increase with reads with quicker release. Must be fixed.
  • He has committed himself to train with TB guru Guerrero,,,,,See BB
  • Might have to face Gronk in AFC Championship

Bronco reasons:

• Elway would like to move him to save face he Drafted the wrong style QB, in exchange for one of the other Big Three (I actually believe that Mayfield is his fit, even Jackson over the big three).
  • Elway likes to trade for top performing vets (Manning, Talib, Ware, Sanders). Gronk would be the face of the Offense versus Von Miller on Defense day one.
  • WR Thomas is declining as a threat. They need a better Red Zone component.
  • They have squat at TE.

Pats Reasson:

• If Baker is there yes, grab him at #5. Trade down if not, and pick up a Lauletta or Rudolf to compete with Paxton Lynch
  • Imagine the trade down haul the Pats could get plus a TE like Goedert or Hurst who might not be Gronk but not too bad either?
  • Take the savings in CAP and bring in Dez Brant for your Red Zone work. Would make sense now.

DW Toys

The point is that we do whatever is considered the right thing at that time. Which is why Cabrera is on the conference and meetings circuit keeping up-to-date.

If any of the training BB and Cabrera advocate would actually be harmful it would not have been the standard for multiple decades.

Is it the best thing we will ever have? Who knows. But that is not the point.

I'm not having a conversation where there is a single point. I'm in a conversation that has a general theme about sports medicine, and research, and what's good for the human body, and how that does or doesn't get applied to professional athletes, and the Pats, etc.

They wouldn’t even offer 4
Gronk devalued himself with the retirement rumor. Unless he gives assurance to another team (which still doesn't guarantee anything), no team will offer a 1st round pick. If Gronk said or the rumor was he wanted out, teams would be lining up with trade packages for the Pats.

And if they end up trading him, it should a player for player trade like Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis. You cannot trade the best TE of all time for a questionable draft pick(s). It needs to be for comprobable talent.

Last edited:
...Of course, much of this sugar could come from eating fruit (healthy)

Although in small quantities. Fruit juice, for example, has recently been shown to spike blood sugar levels well beyond what's healthy, and most of it contains little of the nutrients in actual fruit.

I don't eat fruit unless I'm going to exercise soon after.

Am i only one sick of this guy already? I love gronk but geez dude. Maybe he wants to play elsewhere.
The guy puts his life to play football. He had so many injuries and lets not forget who screw his arm pushing him back in Houston playoff game. Pats doctors. And then BB calling him in front of the other players. What a jerk. After this years concussion he finally realizes that he can become vegetable. Pats wouldnt be fun to watch without Gronk and he is TE GOAT if he retires this year. And if he want to go to other team after no appreciation from BB than I dont blame him. And now same from fanbase. He doesnt deserve such fanbase.

DW Toys don't even mention Kittle the Patriots had all the inside connection on that guy and passed why I have no idea.:confused:
True that!
DW Toys

He has done this before with Bledsoe, but Gronk might not be avaiable to the Bills.
DW Toys

So, for you, anyone considering retirement shouldn't tell anyone (especially Belichick). If he does decide to be open to the coach, he should be traded immediately????? NOT!
my post was not about possible retirement. My post was about not being fully committed to the Patriots and wanting more money. Sorry that was not clear

That's an illuminating chart. Assuming the reports he's been living off endorsements and hasn't touched his salary are true, then he's got $41M plus whatever that money has earned sitting in the "bank". That's a nice fallback if it turns out he really doesn't love football anymore.

Taxes

The guy puts his life to play football. He had so many injuries and lets not forget who screw his arm pushing him back in Houston playoff game. Pats doctors. And then BB calling him in front of the other players. What a jerk. After this years concussion he finally realizes that he can become vegetable. Pats wouldnt be fun to watch without Gronk and he is TE GOAT if he retires this year. And if he want to go to other team after no appreciation from BB than I dont blame him. And now same from fanbase. He doesnt deserve such fanbase.
Congratulations. You just made a first-class jackass of yourself. Like most first-class jackasses, you took a relatively complex matter and attempted to explain it with a mind-numbingly simplistic treatment. Well-done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST