PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk Reportedly Still Undecided On Playing Next Year:

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the contract is the issue he's not going to want to play somewhere else under the same contract. He's better off forcing a release however he can get it. If that's holding off all off season to be a distraction and making himself toxic to trades that's the path.

Also I don't think Gronk would have high trade value even without this. He's played 8 seasons, had multiple surgeries, just had a high profile concussion, is viewed as an injury risk and has not had a reputation for being the most available player and he's been flashing the Hollywood/WWE card and talking retirement. How much would you trade for that guy?

A late first maybe is the highest value I could see him going for. And that's a best case scenario.
Agree on the deal. Another team needs to step up.

I have no earthy idea what Gronk could net in a trade. He has an injury history but is in his prime coming off a great year. I'm guessing a low 1st high 2nd ?

I don't want him traded. He's more valuable to the team on it than a pick.

I'm actually fine with non-guaranteed contracts. I just find it ridiculous that people want to hold players to phantom years when those years are bargains for the team, or complain that the players want to renegotiate, while they give a pass to teams doing the same thing.

Players have to take pay cuts and/or get axed with great frequency. How often do teams approach a player and say "Hey, you outperformed your deal, so we want to give you a bump in pay for this year, just to show our appreciation."?

But isn't part of the reason a team will take a chance and hand over a ton of cash up front exactly that team-friendly ending?

He got an $8m signing bonus - if he had just invested that, as it's been reported he did...well, the stock market was hovering around 11-12k in 2012.

So part of the trade off has to be the fact that the player put a lot of money in his pocket up front.

But isn't part of the reason a team will take a chance and hand over a ton of cash up front exactly that team-friendly ending?

Not really, no. That's just a way to avoid guaranteed contracts. Big signing bonuses basically take the place of 3 year guarantees in the modern NFL. They re-did the Gronk contract for last year, after all, because Gronk's still the best TE in the game, and they were able to tie incentives to health and performance. But, if he'd fallen off, he'd have been traded or axed.

Brady's another example. Time after time, the team gave him an extension with 2 years still left on his deal, as opposed to playing it out.

There's a reason NFL teams don't want guaranteed contracts out there, and that people have talked about Cousins' deal as a potential game changer. It's not because there's a big signing bonus. It's because the team's on the hook for every year, and every penny, of the deal.

It is clear what needs to be done.

Introducing the new HC of the New England Patriots: the Gronk Party Bus!!!

Rob Gronkowski To Hold News Conference At Gillette Stadium Motocross Event
“A lot has been reported recently about Rob Gronkowski’s absence from Gillette Stadium, his whereabouts and his life after football. Gronk will host a fun and informative pre-race press conference that will play up Rob’s whereabouts.”
I'd like to think Gronk wouldn't announce his retirement at a news conference that didn't include Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST