PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk has a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The option was after 2015.
Thanks. The info that I read yesterday must have been incorrect. I will update my post accordingly.

It would seem as though an extension could definitely still be in play with a healthy season though, no?

Last edited:
Of course. However, a fully healthy season would be very unusual.
Well, that leads us back to the possibility of a decision needing to be made if it's another injury riddled season, team option or not.

I think any way you look at it, the health of Rob Gronkowski will greatly steer things towards one end of the spectrum or the other. Looks like it could be an important season for him here in N.England.

i've said this before, but i really wish the pats could work out something similar with Garappolo.

give him a decent base say 6-7 mil, and if for some reason he has to play he makes starter money.
He wants to start and make 2 to 3 times more than that.

Sounds to me like he's taking some of the money about to be freed up in the Brady and Garopollo package deal to Cleveland.
Gronk is part of the deal as well.:confused:

I still don't get it. Rob was made the highest paid NFL TE with his last contract. Even now his contract pays him more than any other NFL TE for the 4 years from 2016-2019.

So why are we giving Rob a raise from his already top of the market contract? Are we concerned that he might hold out? Otherwise why do it?

I still don't get it. Rob was made the highest paid NFL TE with his last contract. Even now his contract pays him more than any other NFL TE for the 4 years from 2016-2019.

So why are we giving Rob a raise from his already top of the market contract? Are we concerned that he might hold out? Otherwise why do it?
The biggest part of his contract = the last two seasons (2018 and 2019). Maybe Gronk is concerned that he might eventually miss out because Pats potentially wouldn't want to take cap hits of 11m and 12m in those years if his injury problems gonna get worse. So it makes sense for him to want more money now and they reportedly been talking about a raise since about last summer.

Eventually, this is a win win. Gronk can be the highest paid TE this season if can stay healthy, while Pats keep him happy and even more motivated and definitely wouldn't mind giving him extra money if it means healthy Gronk down the stretch.

Gronk has been injured, but not the chronic multiple knee operation type. Broken arm, bad doctor is not going to affect his career. Knew he had back problems, but his treatments have been tweaks, not serious surgery like in college Knee, ankle. Any player any year could lose out, again, not chronic injuries as long as his back holds out.

People that think we get an "almost Gronk" and save a few bucks are nuts IMO. He's only 28 and likely will end up the greatest tight end of all time. Would be already without a botched surgery IMO. stats aside, he is the greatest offensive weapon, especially for a coach who wants to use those alignments.

BB has been trying to get all around tight ends for years and except for 2 1st rounders, both of whom were rather one dimensional, he's failed. Put the 50-100 TEs since 2000 in a bucket, they aren't worth half what Gronk is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes