PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 WR? Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo anyone?

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins,
We might have gotten our #2 WR in Osbourn, or at least we hope. We still need a #1 and if we invest in the QB "Holy Three " Vontae Mack no matter what"at the #3 pick, that leaves little resources in the Draft to be assured of a #1 WR or top LT both. An ingenious solution with a trade trade must be considered.

75 Catches and 1342 yards with 7TDs by Brandon Aiyuk here might have even saved Mac's job.....or not.

The Niners have a problem

“Aiyuk's situation looms the largest over this 49ers offseason, and if they can't find a way to a contract extension, the talented wideout could theoretically ask to be traded to a team that's willing and able to pay him.”

San Francisco enters the offseason approximately $7.5 million over the projected salary cap, which is something the front office will have to address. The wide receiver is set to make $14.1 million in the final year of his deal in 2024"

$71.55 million was already invested in Deebo?
Deebo Samuel, the star wide receiver of the San Francisco 49ers, has agreed to a three-year contract extension with the 49ers, worth $71.55 million, with $58.1 million guaranteed. He will earn an average salary of $23.85 million per year, making him one of the highest-paid receivers in the NFL

Can the Niners afford to pay Aiyuk the same type of dollars?

My guess is Nyet to have both of them on the books , or two players at the WR position making 22% of the Teams' CAP space..... and here comes Purdy in 2024.

The Pats can afford to match the Deebo contract for Aiyuk (75 catches, 7 TDs and 1342 yards from a QB who might be less talented than say ......a Bo Nix et.al. Just sayin. We've got a 26 year old NFL proven product as our #1 WR.

Now to get to that lofty position of getting an Aiyuk or a Higgins even, the ransom might be more. What if we took the assumed Vikings trade of pick #11 and pick #23 (plus a Vikes first rounder in 2025), get the best QB at #11 and swap #23 to the Niners? Would they bite?

Deebo as a consolation prize would not be terrible.

Thoughts

DW Toys

Every time Deebo Samuels name comes up I get a little pissed off. He was my very last Pats draft binkie, when they passed on him I promised myself never again.

No to Samuel, but it wouldn't shock me if the 49ers consider moving Samuel next season. Samuel's style is starting take a toll and he's always hobbled by something. His production the last two season has dropped off considerably.

Aiyuk has gotten better each season statistically, but he has play designer that can help find a way to get guys open quickly. 49ers are keeping him and will move Samuel when it's time to pay him.

Every time Deebo Samuels name comes up I get a little pissed off. He was my very last Pats draft binkie, when they passed on him I promised myself never again.
I feel your pain. I also felt in when in that draft they also passed up D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown. Then, to add insult to injury, they did it again the next draft by passing up Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman Jr. I can overlook the mistakes made in the N'Keal Harry draft, but not two drafts in a row.

Give me Aiyuk... Deebo has been in the tub too much lately Aiyuk is also an exceptional route runner. :cool:

i wouldn't complain if we traded for Aiyuk... I wouldn't complain if we paid him 20+ million a year of Bob Krafts money... would rather pay him that than Calvin Ridley tbh... and I would rather trade for Aiyuk than Tee Higgins truth be told...

I do not think the 49ers will let him walk though... as it was point out already, their prescriptive #1 Deeboo Samuel has a tendency to get beat up, is coming up for a new deal, and to add to that, he hasn't played a full seasons slate of games yet... Aiyuk has overtaken Samuel as the 49ers primary receiver... can't see John Lynch using him as a chip...

Still, nice to dream

Last edited:
i wouldn't complain if we traded for Aiyuk... I wouldn't complain if we paid him 20+ million a year of Bob Krafts money... would rather pay him that than Calvin Ridley tbh... and I would rather trade for Aiyuk than Tee Higgins truth be told...

I do not think the 49ers will let him walk though... as it was point out already, their prescriptive #1 Deeboo Samuel has a tendency to get beat up, is coming up for a new deal, and to add to that, he hasn't played a full seasons slate of games yet... Aiyuk has overtaken Samuel as the 49ers number 1 receiver... can't see John Lynch using him as a chip...

Still, nice to dream
And they just resigned Chris Conley.

This numbering of WR's is very imprecise and diverse in meaning.

There are guys who require specific coverage strategies, in part because they have the ability to defeat the cookbook of normal coverages. I guess that's what a #1 is.

Every other WR has specific capabilities that fit well, or not, into specific schemes, against certain defenses, and in given situations. So there really aren't 2's and 3's etc. There are gradations of ability, but more of it is situational.

Deebo has had multiple issues which has kept him out of games.

Is Aiyuk a true number 1? He has 3 other all pro caliber skill players (McCaffery, Samuel, Kittle) that D’s have to be concerned about. He would get a lot more focus on a team like ours.

Cousins,
We might have gotten our #2 WR in Osbourn, or at least we hope. We still need a #1 and if we invest in the QB "Holy Three " Vontae Mack no matter what"at the #3 pick, that leaves little resources in the Draft to be assured of a #1 WR or top LT both. An ingenious solution with a trade trade must be considered.

75 Catches and 1342 yards with 7TDs by Brandon Aiyuk here might have even saved Mac's job.....or not.

The Niners have a problem

“Aiyuk's situation looms the largest over this 49ers offseason, and if they can't find a way to a contract extension, the talented wideout could theoretically ask to be traded to a team that's willing and able to pay him.”

San Francisco enters the offseason approximately $7.5 million over the projected salary cap, which is something the front office will have to address. The wide receiver is set to make $14.1 million in the final year of his deal in 2024"

$71.55 million was already invested in Deebo?
Deebo Samuel, the star wide receiver of the San Francisco 49ers, has agreed to a three-year contract extension with the 49ers, worth $71.55 million, with $58.1 million guaranteed. He will earn an average salary of $23.85 million per year, making him one of the highest-paid receivers in the NFL

Can the Niners afford to pay Aiyuk the same type of dollars?

My guess is Nyet to have both of them on the books , or two players at the WR position making 22% of the Teams' CAP space..... and here comes Purdy in 2024.

The Pats can afford to match the Deebo contract for Aiyuk (75 catches, 7 TDs and 1342 yards from a QB who might be less talented than say ......a Bo Nix et.al. Just sayin. We've got a 26 year old NFL proven product as our #1 WR.

Now to get to that lofty position of getting an Aiyuk or a Higgins even, the ransom might be more. What if we took the assumed Vikings trade of pick #11 and pick #23 (plus a Vikes first rounder in 2025), get the best QB at #11 and swap #23 to the Niners? Would they bite?

Deebo as a consolation prize would not be terrible.

Thoughts

DW Toys

I would love Deebo, but the trade price would be too high to come up with.

Deebo has had multiple issues which has kept him out of games.

Is Aiyuk a true number 1? He has 3 other all pro caliber skill players (McCaffery, Samuel, Kittle) that D’s have to be concerned about. He would get a lot more focus on a team like ours.
don't know if he is a true number 1, but has shown the ability to be a primary receiver... Maybe Van Pelt can recreate some of that shanahan scheming guys open magic

Aiyuk was teammates with Jayden Daniels so that could provide some incentive if we draft Daniels.

I do not think the 49ers will let him walk though... as it was point out already, their prescriptive #1 Deeboo Samuel has a tendency to get beat up, is coming up for a new deal, and to add to that, he hasn't played a full seasons slate of games yet... Aiyuk has overtaken Samuel as the 49ers number 1 receiver... can't see John Lynch using him as a chip...

Still, nice to dream
Pape they can Draft them well Aiyuk for #34 I would do it in heartbeat.

Deebo is too old and Aiyuk too expensive. We need to hit in the draft. That is the only way out of this.

Pape they can Draft them well Aiyuk for #34 I would do it in heartbeat.
i wouldn't do that for Higgins... would have to seriously consider it for Aiyuk

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back