PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 WR? Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo anyone?

If it’s for #34 give me Aiyuk… I love Deebos game but with his injuries by the time this team is (hopefully) ready to contend I think he’s a cap liability more than an asset

If it’s for #34 give me Aiyuk… I love Deebos game but with his injuries by the time this team is (hopefully) ready to contend I think he’s a cap liability more than an asset
A team that only needs a receiver would give way more than a 2nd round pick for Aiyuk.

This. A lot of people want this great receiver or we need this amazing all pro receiver. He would be wasted here while they rebuild. You have a good set of guys, but no way you are giving a guy 30 mil a year to touch the ball 6 times a game while lose by 20 points. You build around a Qb and they need that first.
Agreed with this. It all hinges on the QB, whoever we have that is conducive to solid QB play this season and beyond. We do have a solid set of skill position players no arguments there. I just believe it's after witnessing the last few seasons offensively just has folks wanting ALL PRO caliber players.

Pape they can Draft them well Aiyuk for #34 I would do it in heartbeat.

I wouldn’t. If you want a receiver at 34 there are going to be great prospects that will cost a fraction of what Aiyuk will ultimately get.

I think the niners would be insane to give Deebo big money and trade Aiyuk. Deebo is amazing but is going to be a fast depreciating asset soon.

Aiyuk has a long future ahead of him

I think so too, but you’re certainly not giving up a 3 for him
Hell no. The problem here is what you have to pay him for Brissett to throw him the ball. Is that even worth it? I would rather build around the Qb, not build around a recevier, and we dont have that Qb yet. The thing is, people kept saying, oh mac has no weapons, he has no line, but that was not the issue. In those circumstances is where you see the great ones rise and the bad ones fall. I dont care about stats or wins, but I want a QB who can stare that in the face and not cry on the bench. We get that, then we can build around him.

I wouldn’t. If you want a receiver at 34 there are going to be great prospects that will cost a fraction of what Aiyuk will ultimately get.
That is also the issue, its the pick, its paying 30 mil for a receiver that will be wasted here for two years. receivers is really the last thing to worry about, they are a dime a dozen.

That is also the issue, its the pick, its paying 30 mil for a receiver that will be wasted here for two years. receivers is really the last thing to worry about, they are a dime a dozen.
Cousin, That's a good point. It's chicken and the egg. Do we waste a QB roster spot for three years or do we build the roster?
DW Toys

Neither.

I look at WR1 as someone whose talents and production place him firmly in the top 20-30 in the league. Basically guys who'd be #1 on the depth chart of more teams than not, aka a WR1. Both Deebo and Aiyuk apply.

Doesn't need to be a top 5 or even top 10 guy.

I think this model is what leads to so much dissatisfaction for fans. We are talking about trading for and/or signing a WR that's already proven they can be that guy. So they've done it already for a couple of years.

First, the list of top 20-30 WR in any given year will only provide 6-8 guys like that, who will still be playing at that level 3 years later. Once they get there, they just don't last. Fitzgerald and Rice and Moss are the exceptions that prove the rule. So if you sign them after they've achieved that level and are getting too expensive for their current team, the odds are very small that you'll get a #1 WR for more than a year. But they all want at least four year contracts.

Second, those lists of top 20-30 in yards and/or receptions are replete with players that don't have the complete WR skills set. We had two of the all time greats - Welker and Edelman - and they are nobody's #1. There are 4-6 TE's in those lists. They are extraordinary complimentary players.

Either one would make this F.A. signing period worth it. Stop dreaming you fools!

Thornton still on this team? This is the season he breaks out. The AVP system will unleash him. No need to overpay for a Niners retread.

Cousins,

Now to get to that lofty position of getting an Aiyuk or a Higgins even, the ransom might be more. What if we took the assumed Vikings trade of pick #11 and pick #23 (plus a Vikes first rounder in 2025), get the best QB at #11 and swap #23 to the Niners? Would they bite?

Thoughts

DW Toys
NYET? You'd have to throw in Thornton with #23 to convince them.

Aiyuk hands down. He’s tough. He be plays the wide receiver position like a running back.

This draft is stacked at wr the only thing I’m trading a pick for is if the Vikings want to include Jefferson to get our number 3.

Cousin Bourne,
Here! Here! on your Jefferson trade scenario..
Decent Weds. AM breakfast to start the day of a very fresh Asiago cheese bagel left in the fridge overnight to keep in moisture, not dried out Then spread with cream cheese. Now the secret ingredient. A thin slice of Wunderbar baloney (we've all had baloney...come on. It's just a flat hot dog) and a special light spread of a horseradish, sour cream sauce (home made) brushed on top and heated. Add cranberry-grape juice and a hot cup of Vanilla Gray Tea and I am off to the key board after I take out the garbage.

I wonder a "what if" scenario? We have the resources to do it but have a front office of "monkey see, monkey do", The let's-follow-the-crowd" personnel "experts".

How much better and special if a rookie QB had Jefferson and Aiyuk with Pop in the slot and Ozzie when you spread out?.....What? You may ask yourself. Too much baloney to give us baloney here?

The Vikes are moving up. Either they get to the top for one of the "Holy Three" or seek consolation prize McCarthy at 4th or 5th pick. Whay can't we leverage their aggressiveness to our advantage?

How is this for a scenario in 10 steps and yes they are all possibel but maybe not probable:
Step1:
The Vikes know they will have to pay through the nose. That is a given. I have watched their sites. So if the offer was #11 and #23 they just acquired, you would still say nyet at our #3. They have over $57mm in Dead CAP to consider because of Cousins et.al. They really can't afford to pay Jefferson, and yet we can if we don't cheap out for the best WR in the NFL. In my best Sonny Weaver impression I want my three number one picks, #11, #23 and your #1 in 2025.....plus what else......Yes...... Justin Jefferson who you can't afford to pay for the #3 pick in the 2024 Draft. Then say something about pancakes....ah breakfast again. Fleece? I don't know. Might be the going trate in 2024.

You have to have the Vikes allow us to speak to Jefferson's reps to sign perhaps a five year deal(they ain't going to get any cheaper next year or beyond Cousins) before I would pull the trigger.Assure him he will be the face of the franchise for now.

Step 2:
Trade #34 to Howie in Philadelphia for picks #50 and #53. You might have to swap 4th rounders like our #103 for his #120 to sweeten the pot.

Step 3: SF just got whacked with violations and drop down even further in some rounds. They are absolutely cash strapped around the CAP. Offer our #23rd pick as a swap for their pick at #31 in the Draft and our Third Round pick #68 for Aiyuk. Very fair deal for Shanny and the Pats. Many WRs Shanny can get as a replacement at #23 and lower his CAP. We have the cash to sign Aiyuk.

As in the Jefferson deal you have to have the Niners allow Pats to speak to Aiyuk's reps to get a multi-year deal done.

Step #4:
Sign All Pro OT DJ Humpries to a multi year deal at a discounted rate because of his healing ACL and he won't start till mid season. Have Chewbacca start LT in Sept for a few games. We must get better OL performance.

Step 5:
Go out and get the best OT at pick #11 say like Fashanu from Penn State to compete with Chewbacca for that slot but mostly to let him develop.

Step 6:
Get your QB at #31. So say Nix or Penix (more on that later) to hopefully beat out back up Brissett (oh brother!)....but with two elite receivers, the odds of us having a Mac or a Bryce Young disaster now lessen. Nix and Penix had a spread out great WR offenses and we can now be competitive instead of waiting a few years to come back.

Step 7:
We "double dip". That's right Pats Fans. We Draft QB Spencer Rattler who has the biggest arm in the Draft other than Penix at #50. He might wind up the starter. Worse case scenario we trade one of the two in 2025 because of a supposed bad 2025 QB class. Would not suprrise me if he gets going the fastest in this 2024 QB class because he played in Beemers pro offesne at South Carolina and actually took snaps from center. He played very well when pitted against Maye by over 100 yards with a devestated OL at South Carolina. He also has an advantage of playing against SEC shools, MANY who could have wipped that Pats ass in 2024.

Step 8:
If we sign Aiyuk and Jefferson, do we really need to Draft a WR in the second round? We Up Barmore and Judon immediately and get Barmore a running mate right here a #53 T' Vondre Sweat DT from Texas. A huge 360lb man who had some QB pressures and sacks at Texas. If he went to summer camp with the other kids his mother must have had to sew his name completely around his underwear band.

Step 9:
Resign Zeke. Why not? He was great in the locker room. He is under 30. He was our best runner and reciever by default in 2024 and mostly best pass blocker. The kids are going to need some of that pass blocking

Step 10:
We need to win the time of posession battle to keep those kids performing with more plays under their belt and get our defense off the field. We actually has the 7th best defense in the NFL last season. We have room for two Vets to add. we need a real FS so sign Justin Simmons and why not add Gilmore back to our very young DB room?

OK....... persecute me.
DW Toys

Step 9:
Resign Zeke. Why not? He was great in the locker room. He is under 30. He was our best runner and reciever by default in 2024 and mostly best pass blocker. The kids are going to need some of that pass blocking

OK....... persecute me.
DW Toys

No persecution here - it's not like he earned himself some monsterously large contract last year. Should be able to get him for 2/12-15 or so. That's pretty good money for a backup, but it's not like we don't have it.

Is Aiyuk a #1 WR?

Based on what... production?

Nobody can tell me what a #1 receiver is... so it's confusing.

I'm not sure KJ Osborn in Shanahan's system with Purdy throwing the ball doesn't put up similar numbers.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back