PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 WR? Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo anyone?

Ah, yes, the Deebo disaster. The whiff that caused the departure of Brady and the eventual firing of BB. The consensus is that the Deebo disaster was the fault of BB, but now I have to wonder if Kraft was the guy who fell in love with N'Keal Harry (because of his interviewing skills?).

Yes, I also get upset every time I see Deebo (or Metcalf or A. J. Brown). It is amazing how a single horrific draft pick can ruin a franchise. This year the Patriots have an opportunity to make another disastrous, fanchise-killing draft pick or (in my opinion) trade down and restock.
Elliot Wolf and the collaboration station didn't arrive until 2021, so while we might be able to pin the Mac Jones disaster on them, we can't assign N'Keal Harry blame on them. Harry was a great athlete, he had all the physical traits to succeed, he was just mentally weak.

You left out one potential outcome for this draft, the Pats could also stay at #3 and take a QB that could propel the franchise forward. Trading back only makes sense if the QB they want is off the board.

Your example of a true #1 is one of the best in the history of the NFL. What folks seem to mean by a #1 WR is an all-pro quality receiver, just as they mean possible MVP when they mean #1 QB.
Agreed, we haven't seen an athlete like Randy Moss enter the NFL in over two decades. The closest thing we've seen to him was Julio Jones and nobody in this draft is either one of those guys.

I like Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Legette in the second round this year, those guys could become super weapons. If you want a Deebo Samuel clone, take Malachi Corley out of Western Kentucky, they could be brothers.

Regardless if you want superweapon WR's the best way to acquire them is to draft them, trading for a player then paying him a stupid rich contract is dumb... you pay twice.

Last edited:
Both of these guys are nice players, but I think people would be frustrated if they expected either of them to be a true #1 WR. I love Deebo, but his skillset matches the 49ers system and the players in that offense. I don't think it would translate well into the Pats offense as currently constructed.

I had Brandon Aiyuk on my fantasy team last year so I watched a fair amount of 49ers games. My take on Aiyuk is he will get good numbers and occasionally make the big play, but he also disappears for long periods of time during games. That could be a product of the 49ers having so much talent at skill spots and there are only so many balls to go around. That is it at least partially, but from what I've seen he lacks the ability to take over a game when needed. He's still young and I believe he will continue to get better (and would immediately become the best weapon on the team), but I would not treat him like a true #1WR at the bargaining table.

I too had Aiyuk in FF. He started the season strong, then Deebo complained about not getting the ball enough so it seemed the niners spent several weeks emphasizing Deebo over Aiyuk. Latter half of the season, it seems the niners decided to go less to Deebo and more to Aiyuk, who finished the season strong and helped me win a championship. I would take Aiyuk over Deebo.

Regardless if you want superweapon WR's the best way to acquire them is to draft them,
interesting comment....... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

If Aiyuk is truly available, then we should do everything in our power to acquire him. He is that #1 receiver type and he is young. Going through the draft for all our needs was always a dangerous proposition because you leave yourself with pretty much no margin for error.

interesting comment....... :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Cousins.
Sunday brunch? Scrambled eggs and cheese with Vermont home made farm sausage, slices of again, home made white bread toasted with butter and apple jam and then some blueberry frosted breakfast loaf with Starrbucks cocoa (coffee is a stomach iratent for someone who asked......sorry)

You will never believe this but Aiyuk now seeks a trade. .....Imagine that! ....huhh.

I still think that Lynch is trying to let him play out the year, hope he gets a trade offer by years end or if not take the 3rd round Comp (most likely with said financial requirement)...........OR.......try to gather the best deal for his Team right now prior.......Do you hear this Wolf......to the Draft in two weeks.

WHY?
1) Trading Aiyuk now pending Draft picks obtained, beats the hell out of a late 3rd Round comp somewhere in the 100s.
2) This year Draft class has a choice of talented WR to replace Aiyuk for the Niners
3) It helps CAP wise this year for trhem (they are hurting)
4) It helps CAP next year(they won't have have to pay his ransom)
5) The Pats have some viable picks they can offer
6) The Pats have refused to "Burn Cash" or "Weaponize" so far , so that was crap. This saves face.
7) The Pats have a window to get an elite WR they have not had in years to basically, be the face of the franchise (alright then who? Brissett? Please. Some rookie "definite maybe" QB who is going to sit in 2024? Nyet!! Aiyuk can be the face of this franchise time being.
8) Drafting a WR? Sure thing Cousins? Nope. Show me the NFL tape....none. Please don't be naive
9) They Pats can afford him in 2024.
10) The forum push back is " Well he is not your classic #1 WR" Please recall the Niners also have Deebo so,...... who is their #1.....Anybody? Anybody? Aiyuk would be #1 here Cousins. So would Higgins(another story)........show me where I am wrong. Look at Aiyuks #1 type numbers for last year.

IF we can get the Niners to listen and IF we get Wolf (who has already made too many mistskes for me . He is NOT a newbee some think he is. He's been here 3 years, to get his head out of his dierrier, we should make an offer. Wolf waas in on the Mac choice.....ooops.

WHY again? So we can now concentrate on other areas AND picks of need like LT and DT and yes another WR later..

Simplified Draft solution:
Again this needs to be resolved prior to the Draft, so if you are asleep on Route #1 ...wake up.
TRADE DOWN: Swap pick #34 (a fairly valuable trading bauble) for the Niners #63 pick in round two and a pick in 2025......Why 2025? Because the Niners have a feces load of picks in Round 4 and beyond (7 picks).
Make trhe deal with Lynch pending new contract......Hve him sign sdia contract.

DW Toys

Side bar. If we Draft Daniels, Aiyuk and Daniels player together at AZ State and are buddies.

If Aiyuk is truly available, then we should do everything in our power to acquire him. He is that #1 receiver type and he is young. Going through the draft for all our needs was always a dangerous proposition because you leave yourself with pretty much no margin for error.
I could see us giving up a 2025 first if we could work out a 5 year deal with him.

I would NOT give up 34. We need to have an OT that can have a year of experience before next year's team has its playoff run.

To be clear, I don't expect SF to trade Aiyuk. Why would they. If they could trade a 34 for a 1-year top WR, they would. They are competing for the Super Bowl THIS year.

Cousins.
Sunday brunch? Scrambled eggs and cheese with Vermont home made farm sausage, slices of again, home made white bread toasted with butter and apple jam and then some blueberry frosted breakfast loaf with Starrbucks cocoa (coffee is a stomach iratent for someone who asked......sorry)

You will never believe this but Aiyuk now seeks a trade. .....Imagine that! ....huhh.

I still think that Lynch is trying to let him play out the year, hope he gets a trade offer by years end or if not take the 3rd round Comp (most likely with said financial requirement)...........OR.......try to gather the best deal for his Team right now prior.......Do you hear this Wolf......to the Draft in two weeks.

WHY?
1) Trading Aiyuk now pending Draft picks obtained, beats the hell out of a late 3rd Round comp somewhere in the 100s.
2) This year Draft class has a choice of talented WR to replace Aiyuk for the Niners
3) It helps CAP wise this year for trhem (they are hurting)
4) It helps CAP next year(they won't have have to pay his ransom)
5) The Pats have some viable picks they can offer
6) The Pats have refused to "Burn Cash" or "Weaponize" so far , so that was crap. This saves face.
7) The Pats have a window to get an elite WR they have not had in years to basically, be the face of the franchise (alright then who? Brissett? Please. Some rookie "definite maybe" QB who is going to sit in 2024? Nyet!! Aiyuk can be the face of this franchise time being.
8) Drafting a WR? Sure thing Cousins? Nope. Show me the NFL tape....none. Please don't be naive
9) They Pats can afford him in 2024.
10) The forum push back is " Well he is not your classic #1 WR" Please recall the Niners also have Deebo so,...... who is their #1.....Anybody? Anybody? Aiyuk would be #1 here Cousins. So would Higgins(another story)........show me where I am wrong. Look at Aiyuks #1 type numbers for last year.

IF we can get the Niners to listen and IF we get Wolf (who has already made too many mistskes for me . He is NOT a newbee some think he is. He's been here 3 years, to get his head out of his dierrier, we should make an offer. Wolf waas in on the Mac choice.....ooops.

WHY again? So we can now concentrate on other areas AND picks of need like LT and DT and yes another WR later..

Simplified Draft solution:
Again this needs to be resolved prior to the Draft, so if you are asleep on Route #1 ...wake up.
TRADE DOWN: Swap pick #34 (a fairly valuable trading bauble) for the Niners #63 pick in round two and a pick in 2025......Why 2025? Because the Niners have a feces load of picks in Round 4 and beyond (7 picks).
Make trhe deal with Lynch pending new contract......Hve him sign sdia contract.

DW Toys

Side bar. If we Draft Daniels, Aiyuk and Daniels player together at AZ State and are buddies.
If we can really get a WR that is close to equal to Aijuk, we should draft that player at 34, and use the extra $20M a year for other players. Of course, the player at 34 is more likely to be probably just as much a long shot at greatness at WR as a 3rd rounder. There are lots and lots of WR's in this draft who could be future stars.

My point is NOT that Aijuk isn't worth the 34 pick (although I would prefer next year's first). My point is that he is too valuable to be traded by a team in a SB run.

I'd rather swing a deal for Tee Higgins (If we're going to swing a deal for a Top WR). Deebo was used too much as a RB (before they got CMC) and has too much wear for my liking.

I can't guess why...
I'm sure you can't. You've demonstrated you're not smart enough to realize how often you contradict yourself.

I'm sure you can't. You've demonstrated you're not smart enough to realize how often you contradict yourself.
No, it's because I can't read your mind genius, and your passive aggressive nonsense doesn't make sense to anyone but you.

If they can use JuJu's recent snapchat fiasco as reason to negate his contract, then ya, let's try to swing Aiyuk .
Who'd say no to - Aiyuk, Douglas, Osborn, Bourne, & 2nd round Rookie.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back