PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk has a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AdamSchefter: Specific details on Rob Gronkowski's new deal with Patriots, per @RosenhausSports: 1st tier, which gets him... Adam Schefter

So, per @Miguel - 3 years on current deal remaining. Wondering if this is an extension? Is the benefit from the Patriots POV, aside from keeping Gronk happy, having his cost tied to his yearly performance?

Very nice. Gronk is clearly the GOAT TE and deserves to be paid like it... however his injury history is a bit factor. Tying his pay to his health is extremely smart. No one will mind paying him big bucks if he's on the field enough to earn it.

Finally, we can put the "Gronk's dad is keeping his kid off the field!!!" crap to rest. His dad won't be keeping him off the field if t costs him millions of dollars.

Keep the big fella happy! This season is gonna be epic!

Huh, interesting. No extension.

Though I'd like it confirmed from a source other than Volin :rolleyes:

Smart.
They can still extend him in the future.
Terms sound fair. Paid like the best if he is the best.

Very nice. Gronk is clearly the GOAT TE and deserves to be paid like it... however his injury history is a bit factor. Tying his pay to his health is extremely smart. No one will mind paying him big bucks if he's on the field enough to earn it.

Finally, we can put the "Gronk's dad is keeping his kid off the field!!!" crap to rest. His dad won't be keeping him off the field if t costs him millions of dollars.

Hopefully Gronk can meet his #'s while also being able to be taken out of meaningless blowouts / rested for the playoffs, etc. Honestly, the less he's exposed the better, so if he is exposed more by trying to earn 90% playing time or make all-pro, that is less appealing.

I love watching Gronk crush poor defenses all year round, but really the only thing that "matters" is him being as close to 100% for the playoffs as possible.

I bet when @Miguel finally lays it out for us, that the Pats will have taken very little financial risk on this deal. It will look great on paper, but I'm sure this is a very incentive laden deal. So that if he plays and plays well, he'll get paid, and if he doesn't he won't. And if he suddenly loses it in the next year or two, the Pats will be able to release him with minimal cap impact.

Given Gronk's ability, producti0n, and injury history, it's the right kind of deal for the Pats to make. EVERYONE will be happy, regardless of how it will turn out

What do Pats get? I presume Pats will benefit if Gronk goes down after 4 games or something. Otherwise what's the point of this restructuring? I didn't see it mentioned what Gronk gets if he can't make either Tier 1 or 2 or 3? Tier 3 was $6.75m. Presumably, if he can't make any of those, the number drops to $4-5m or something?

Good for Gronk, I'm happy for the guy, but I'm not really sure what motivated the Pats to make that deal. They had him signed already to a better deal, after all. It only makes sense to me if the restructure allows the Pats to save money over what they were previously paying him if he keeps missing lots of snaps. I haven't seen any indication that that's the case, though.

But **** it, this is one of those cases where I'm fine with it in any case. If it isn't giving the Pats additional coverage against Gronk missing time, then I'll just assume there was more going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of. He's certainly worth every penny that he could potentially earn if he plays enough snaps to reach the incentives, so it's hard to complain much on that front. If this will help keep him in New England long term and keep him in a positive frame of mind, then I'm all for it. If it keeps the locker room in a good place, with everyone seeing that the Pats reward their own, then all the better. There are lots of ways to blow cap money in the offseason, and on the whole I think "rewarding Gronk in advance against the possibility that he fully returns to form" is a hard one to argue with.

Good for Gronk, I'm happy for the guy, but I'm not really sure what motivated the Pats to make that deal. They had him signed already to a better deal, after all. It only makes sense to me if the restructure allows the Pats to save money over what they were previously paying him if he keeps missing lots of snaps. I haven't seen any indication that that's the case, though.

But **** it, this is one of those cases where I'm fine with it in any case. If it isn't giving the Pats additional coverage against Gronk missing time, then I'll just assume there was more going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of. He's certainly worth every penny that he could potentially earn if he plays enough snaps to reach the incentives, so it's hard to complain much on that front. If this will help keep him in New England long term and keep him in a positive frame of mind, then I'm all for it. If it keeps the locker room in a good place, with everyone seeing that the Pats reward their own, then all the better. There are lots of ways to blow cap money in the offseason, and on the whole I think "rewarding Gronk in advance against the possibility that he fully returns to form" is a hard one to argue with.

You answered your own question. It was simply about making Gronk happy, motivating him, and making a new deal or extension more likely.

I really hope we don't hear more out of the Butler camp after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back