PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Schiano to be named DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beliema may still be on the staff in a defensive role.
I'm curious who we promote or bring in on offense.

In addition to the Rutgers secondary players who had NFL success, Schiano has also had a hand in helping to develop Lattimore, Hooker, Conley, Ward, etc. He's very good with DBs.

Beliema may still be on the staff in a defensive role.
I'm curious who we promote or bring in on offense.

Given that Nick Caley is supposedly tight with McDaniels I would not be surprised if he moves on from TEs to WRs. It is entirely possible that Brian Belichick gets the promotion to TE coach. He has already been working as a scout and coaching assistant starting in 2016.

That was the route that McDaniels, Flores, Schuplinski & co all took as well: Work for a while as coaching assistant and then move up.

Who knows if the Pats even fill the QB assistant coach vacancy. I guess it all depends on a) how they see Etling and b) whether they draft another QB to develop.

Schiano will essentially be the defensive playcaller for the BB defense and might give some input during the draft season since he has seen some players much more up close than most scouts on the Pats.

But that's about it.

With 12 draft picks that works for me.

Can only hope he doesn’t make our defense as bad as Ohio St.

Eek.

I’ll trust BB’s judgment.

McCourtys weigh in on Schiano

When the McCourty twins played under Greg Schiano at Rutgers, what was his defensive coaching style?

“Verrrry aggressive,” said Jason McCourty. “Man-to-man and a ton of blitzing.” “Cover-2. Blitz. Cover-2. Blitz,” summarized Devin McCourty.

“He’s a very tough coach,” said Jason. “Big on discipline, big on doing things the right way so it seems as though he’ll fit right into the New England mold.”

“I remember when I got to New England after leaving Rutgers realizing that I was ready,” said Devin. “I was ready for the long meetings, the long days, understanding time management. He made us very pro ready.

“I don’t know how he’ll be with us as a coach in the NFL in New England,” Devin continued. “I’ve never experienced that. I had him in college and I knew him as a strict head coach who I had a ton of respect for. When I left, even though I probably hated some things, I realized when I got to New England (the preparation I got). I remember other guys saying, ‘Shoot, this is too hard.’ I was thinking, ‘This is easier than when I was at Rutgers.’

“I always had a lot of appreciation for him not caring how we felt as little 18 and 19 year olds and instead preparing us and making us ready for the jump to the NFL on and off.”

I wonder if Schiano if he does well could be a threat to Josh getting the head job down the road?

I’m just not worried about it, as Belichick is still all over it when it matters. It sucks losing young talented coaches on a regular basis, but that’s the cost of success.

I’m not sure Schiano’s type of relentlessly hard ass coaching works that well with professionals.

I’m not sure Schiano’s type of relentlessly hard ass coaching works that well with professionals.

A small sample size is Jon Gruden...that style worked 10-15 years ago...now the players are not so much on board with that. Big difference between college and the NFL. But if the results are Super Bowls...I think it's easier to stomach.

I'm hoping he softened up a bit.

Last edited:
He'll fit right in is my guess...He and BB have mutual respect.....

It will be interesting to see how his agressive style D works out......more pressure on QB's is a good thing IMHO ..

He'll fit right in is my guess...He and BB have mutual respect.....

It will be interesting to see how his agressive style D works out......more pressure on QB's is a good thing IMHO ..
Aggressive style doesn’t necessarily mean more pressure on the QB. Blitzes get picked up, which cause aggressive defenses to get shredded.

I believe that he was born in Jupiter, Florida.

Wonder if it works better as a coordinator instead of head coach; this way BB can monitor and tell him to tone it down if needed.

As long as we don’t have any staph outbreaks I’m fine with the hiring. A little different than the usual internal promotion but trust Bill on this one.

As long as he's a stickler for detail, prepares the players, communicates well and has Belichick to oversee everything there will be no problem.

Bill doesn't sit on a lawn chair chilling. That's why assistant coaches keep leaving and the Patriots keep winning.

Wonder if it works better as a coordinator instead of head coach; this way BB can monitor and tell him to tone it down if needed.

Bill speaking to Schiano...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back