PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Schiano to be named DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you elaborate on this thought? Are you suggesting that they often started with bad field position? It couldn’t have been that bad considering the fact that they went 13-1, and just barely missed out on another playoff appearance.

I’m thinking that the poorer play on defense was due to less ball control/quicker scoring via a lethal passing attack and less of a ground game, coupled with the loss of Nick Bosa, who is expected by many to be the top overall pick in the draft.

If i'm honest i haven't watched any tape, i was just thinking that could be a considerable thing to why the points increased:)

I assume that means Schiano will run whatever scheme BB tells him to run.

BB is who designs the defense and the schemes. And while Patricia, Flores and now Schiano might add a few snippets here and there they are mostly just playcallers.

I'm not thrilled with this move. Nink was on a podcast saying that BB is a hardline head coach & having a hard line DC like Schiano would make it tough on the players. He felt they needed a more approachable DC like BFlo to serve as a buffer.

I'm also concerned that this will cause BB to be less involved with the defense than he was this year. Bedard was on F&M yesterday saying that off the record the players are crediting BB for the design & performance of the defense. I'd be perfectly content with BB effectively serving as his own DC & letting McDaniels run the O.

All that said, I'm at the point where I'm willing to blindly trust BB to make the right decision for the team. But this does seem like a risky move.
I could give you six reasons why my gut is telling me to trust BB on this one.

BB is who designs the defense and the schemes. And while Patricia, Flores and now Schiano might add a few snippets here and there they are mostly just playcallers.
Yep.

I think BB and the DC/OC collaborate on the game plan as well with BB having the right to overrule everything.

Yep.

I think BB and the DC/OC collaborate on the game plan as well with BB having the right to overrule everything.

If you take Lombardis book as source then usually what happens is that BB comes up with the handful of things (often 3 things) that they need to accomplish to win a game. For both offense and defense.

That is the base of it all. And then they work all together on various parts.

If you take Lombardis book as source then usually what happens is that BB comes up with the handful of things (often 3 things) that they need to accomplish to win a game. For both offense and defense.

That is the base of it all. And then they work all together on various parts.

Yep. BB owns the game strategy and the OC/DC take what they have for scheme, players and calls and devise the game plan. He presents it to Bill (who may/may not be an active participant) and Bill signs off on it or asks they incorporate other stuff. Then they present it to the team, practice it during the week and tweak it right up to kickoff.

Is he **ill-tempered**?? : pinky by the mouth:

Not sure how I like this move. From all accounts he seems hard nosed and not very approachable. More importantly if he can wants sole control over the D, it might be a very short lived sting with the Patriots.
Wish we had been able to keep Flo.

No knock on Schiano but I wish we could have kept BFlo longer.

Why? He is a great coach who would’ve been gone in a year or 2. Why delay the inevitable?

Perhaps college coaches make good scouts and evaluators of what is necessary in the NFL, perhaps not.

This is especially true for players on offense. For example, how would they know what is needed at the NFL RB positions, or FB or even WR. These guys need to BLOCK in the NFL.

One point that has mentioned is he’s been around the college game so may be able to help us with the draft as well.

Was listing to the 98.5 "Mensa Society" update yesterday, Bertram was concerned. Does Schiano fit into this type of organization, as he is a "screamer" and "yeller"??.. what did he do in Tampa Bay?? What did he do at Ohio State??

BB will not accept a coach who is not reasonably within his own mold, if he tries to turn into an unabashed despot of the defense he will be reigned in.. Schiano will fit into the Pats way of doing things, the Pats will not fit into the way that Schiano does things.. BB isn't listening to Bon Jovi on those headphones and if things go screwy BB will assert himself..

One thing BB must like about Schiano is the types of players he likes.. McCourty, McCourty, Ryan and Harmon have all done well in this system..

As long as it's still "Belichick's Defense" everything will be fine.

The only potential problem with a high profile hire (former HC, etc.) as a Coordinator is that sometimes they forget who is in charge. But, I'd be very surprised if BB and Schiano hadn't already had that conversation and that Coach made it clear how things were going to work.

The Belichick-Flores combination set the gold standard for Playoff D in blowing out the Chargers, holding the Rams to 3 points in the SB and handling the Chiefs in their own house. I don't think Schiano will want to rock that particular boat at the outset. Any problems would come down the line after he has some initial success.

Wait, wait -- didn't Ben Volin assure us just last week that Bret Bielema was going to be named DC??? Say it ain't so! If I can't trust Volin, who can I trust???

Dracula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye