PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard on Brady vs Garopollo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Tom's dad, it will end badly in New England for Tom. Tom will go somewhere where his value is greater to that team than to the Patriots. That day will suck but it's coming. I don't see it coming this year and I don't know if his replacement is on the team yet either.

If it ends badly in the manner you are speaking, the replacement is undoubtedly on the roster already.

First of all, I think there's another possibility other than either Brady or JimmyG after 2017.

I can see a scenario where JimmyG gets to run the show with Brady as a premium backup making in current money something like 5 or 6 Mi per year for like 2 years when at 42 it's really more likely than not he will hit the age wall. If Brady is all about football really, I can see that. Also, doesn't think for a minute BB is not going to pay this money for a backup QB, the fact that he didn't so far (he did invest with a different money, high draft picks in the last 5 years, projecting 8), doesn't mean he is not going to do, BB pays good money for special teams players, he would definitely pay for a backup QB if necessary. He has said many times that QB is the most important position in football and he doesn't want to see what's like life when your starter QB goes down with an injury and there's not an adequate replacement in place.

I could even see Brady as more than a premium backup, I mean a more active backup, running some special packages that he mastered over the years and NO ONE in NFL is capable otherwise there would be a lot of Brady clones in this copycat league. I just don't know how BB would manage that from an ego perspective, also the offensive line could not gel completely with these changes, but if there's a coach capable of putting something like this on the field is BB, of course, that would not last long, the Ravens would cry and NFL would make a rule that QB's substitutions would be like in soccer, once substituted cannot get back in the game.

SMH at the visceral anger and preposterous strawmen that appear every time someone on this forum suggests moving on from a 40+ year-old Tom Brady.

Poor Jimmy Garopollo. The kid has come here and done everything right and people are just waiting for him to fail and measuring him up against HOF QBs before the start of his second season.

Now let's talk about this nonsense, first of all, if Brady were greedy and wanted all the money he could make, BB would pay the man. It's simple, without a QB in this league you're drafting in the top 10 every year. No disrespect but Brady is worth 5 Hightowers.

It's as simple as that, and I'm only talking about his abilities as a QB to put the team in position to win.

Now let's talk about all the other factors he brings to the table. Brady is the perfect QB for BB, he doesn't care about records and stats, he gives the ball to the RB 5 times in the 1st goal if necessary and doesn't care about leaving the game with 0 TD's if that's the strategy to win. He takes care of the ball and is not prone to turnovers. He can read a defense better than anyone, BB trusts him to call an audible, he is tough, he has a lot of mental strength, he can bring his teammates back to a game, he is clutch, he is a real leader, he is a coach in the field.

Not to mention that Brady is so good that he allows BB to make a lot of moves on other positions, because Brady can make any jag receiver work out. It may be a little premature but JimmyG looks like a QB that will need that top receiver making plays for him, and this is not a demerit, because there are probably 28 starter QB's in the league that also need.

Of course after 35 in the NFL the end is closer and they need to monitor and start to get ready for the inevitable, the Saints and Cowboys are also getting ready to life after Brees and Romo, the Broncos will not have a smooth transition, it looks like they are set to a total rebuild when Manning is done. But both BB and Brady have a good thing going in NE, Brady is set for life, he feels he can play a few more years and is Ok taking less money than he deserves, and BB even though doesn't show that, he must be pretty happy with this too, it's a coaches dream.

Look at the contracts QB's are getting in NFL, if it keeps that way, let's say Garopollo plays the 2017 season and gets a 10-6 or 11-5 record, winning a playoff game. That would put him in the market for a contract paying more than 9 Mi a year for sure. So they say BB is not going to pay the money for Brady but it is going to pay to a promising but still unproven QB?

As long as Brady can handle the football season he will be the QB for the Patriots.

All of the above, is only my opinion.

it will end badly in New England for Tom.

No it won't.

Brady won't be bitter at the team if they decide to move on. He might be disappointed but he'll understand. The Kraft's won't try to throw dirt on him and neither will BB.

Also maybe frame job may have Brady thinking that maybe when his NE career is over it might be time to end his football career.

On second though, no chance of that. This thing has only fueled him even more and will actually only help to let him play more years.

SMH at the visceral anger and preposterous strawmen that appear every time someone on this forum suggests moving on from a 40+ year-old Tom Brady.

Poor Jimmy Garopollo. The kid has come here and done everything right and people are just waiting for him to fail and measuring him up against HOF QBs before the start of his second season.

Wrong.

No one is saying don't move on from Brady if Garoppolo is the better option when the day comes for that decision. What we are saying is Garoppolo has proved absolutely nothing, while Brady is coming off a SB championship and no signs of decline.

The distinction I make is this: Brady is still the best quarterback in the league, but not the best passer, which I'd probably give to Rodgers. [Passer, IMO, deals "purely" with the physical side of passing the ball. Quarterback deals with everything, including the mental aspects.]

I can see the 1A/1B argument, FWIW, on those grounds (although it should be obvious who I would consider #1 if I could only pick one).

Rodgers post season
1 SB win (4-0)
5 other seasons in plaoyffs (2-5)
Overall 6-5

Manning postseason
1 SB win (4-0)
13 others seasons in playoffs (7-13)
Overall 11-13

Brady postseason
4 SB wins (12-0)
8 other SB seasons (9-8)
Overall 21-8

So Brady has been in the playoffs 12 times and won 4 SBs, and won 21 playoff games.
Rodgers has been in the playoffs 6 times and won 1 SB and won 6 playoff games.
Manning has been in the playoffs 14 times, won 1 SB and won 11 playoff games.

2 of these things ARE like the other, and one is very, very different.

I can see a scenario where JimmyG gets to run the show with Brady as a premium backup making in current money something like 5 or 6 Mi per year for like 2 years when at 42 it's really more likely than not he will hit the age wall. If Brady is all about football really, I can see that.

I must admit that I can't see this happening at all. If the team is moving on from Brady, the worst thing to do for Jimmy's sake (or whoever the next QB is) would be for Tom to still be lurking in the shadows. The specter of his past alone is a big enough burden to carry, no need to add him actually being on the sideline and in meetings as well.

For the record, both Krafts have commented on the salary cap percentage that they see reasonable for a franchise QB, so I can believe that the "18 percent is unreasonable" comment may have some truth to it.

The last time I remember hearing this come up was either the previous Brady deal, and/or the one before it (2005 maybe?)

During that time, Kraft stated that a range falling somewhere between 12-15 percent would be ideal, so it seems to be a loose rule that they've kept in the past and will likely keep in the future.

This has come up before and I have asked posters to show me a comment where Kraft mentioned any % that would be all he would pay a QB, and I've never seen it and it usually turns into commentary about how Kraft thinks and of course that means, blah, blah, blah, so it would be very helpful if you could point me to those comments.
Not saying they don't exist, but my feeling is they are like a lot of things discussed on this board where people give their opinion and it later turns into fact.

Wrong.

No one is saying don't move on from Brady if Garoppolo is the better option when the day comes for that decision. What we are saying is Garoppolo has proved absolutely nothing, while Brady is coming off a SB championship and no signs of decline.

"Nothing about Garoppolo has said Steve Young to me so far"
"Really getting annoyed with people thinking Garoppolo is some type of guaranteed elite QB"

Yeah, I'm wrong. No unrealistic expectations or strawmen

2017 rolls around, Josh Mcdaniels gets offered the head coaching position of the 49's

He trades two 2nd round picks to the patriots for brady.

Brady finishes his career winning a superbowl as the starting QB of the 49's

I see your abject reading comprehension and invent-ludicrous-strawmen problems have returned. In force.

Other than in your fevered mind, where the f**k did I I say I thought things would continue at the same level after Brady is gone? Nowhere, that's where.

What I know is that even if Garoppolo is nothing more than a better-than-average NFL starter the team is better off with him after 2017 then having Brady in 2018 and 2019 followed by some bottom of the barrel QB for years thereafter.
Well given how hard it is to win a SB in the NFL why would you sacrifice any time with Tom Brady as the QB when he has proven capable of winning one? Is multiple years of being a 10-6 team worth more than 1 SB for you?

Also do you really think we cannot draft another QB prospect that would be younger, cheaper and under contract between now and 2017?

Wrong.

I think you misread the post, JMC. :)

Nah nobody is waiting for Jimmy to fail, we just not rushing to kick the GOAT QB to the curb while he is the best QB in the game still.

Someday he won't be the best QB on the planet, but that day hasn't come yet.

I think you misread the post, JMC. :)

I don't think I did Some people just don't want to hear about the GOAT who just won a SB, one that was the most clutch win in SB history about being replaced by a guy who has shown nothing more than he can play good against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Well given how hard it is to win a SB in the NFL why would you sacrifice any time with Tom Brady as the QB when he has proven capable of winning one? Is multiple years of being a 10-6 team worth more than 1 SB for you?

Also do you really think we cannot draft another QB prospect that would be younger, cheaper and under contract between now and 2017?

Multiple 10-6 years is better than multiple 6-10 years.

Nah nobody is waiting for Jimmy to fail, we just not rushing to kick the GOAT QB to the curb while he is the best QB in the game still.

Someday he won't be the best QB on the planet, but that day hasn't come yet.

Nobody is suggesting kicking him to the kerb. There has been no suggestion of getting rid of Brady within the next three years.

I don't think I did Some people just don't want to hear about the GOAT who just won a SB, one that was the most clutch win in SB history about being replaced by a guy who has shown nothing more than he can play good against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I could do without this conversation as well, but it's a reasonable one to have if structured properly. Right now, those who refuse to see the end of Tom's time in NE are the ones that are driving it over the rails.

I could do without this conversation as well, but it's a reasonable one to have if structured properly. Right now, those who refuse to see the end of Tom's time in NE are the ones that are driving it over the rails.

It would be nice to be able to have a reasoned debate without all these straw men being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back