PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard on Brady vs Garopollo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Read from the bottom up.

For the record, both Krafts have commented on the salary cap percentage that they see reasonable for a franchise QB, so I can believe that the "18 percent is unreasonable" comment may have some truth to it.

The last time I remember hearing this come up was either the previous Brady deal, and/or the one before it (2005 maybe?)

During that time, Kraft stated that a range falling somewhere between 12-15 percent would be ideal, so it seems to be a loose rule that they've kept in the past and will likely keep in the future.

All I'm gonna say in this thread is that I'm glad Brady is still our guy, especially after last season. He's the GOAT, he's still 1B in the NFL, and 1A hasn't been so hot in the playoffs.

So you'd rather see the Patriots get rid of the player they pretty seemingly think will be their next long-term quarterback if Brady wants to play one or two more years (or NE thinks he'll only productively play one or two more years) past the point they either have to start or get rid of Garapollo?

If Brady can play 5 years past that point, different story! But also highly unlikely.

If NE really believes in Jimmy G, it would be beyond stupid to let him go after 2017 if they think Brady is only good for one or two years beyond 2017.

Show where i say anything about getting rid of anyone? We have heard this song before and the fact of the matter is that Tom Brady has shown absolutely no sign of decay, and in his last real outing he took he not only took apart the best defense of this era but led the largest forth quarter comeback in Super Bowl history.
If Tom Brady goes noodle arm on us then you have an argument, until then you are talking about replacing the GOAT with a guy who has never won a game In the NFL,, and when given that chance against Buffalo last season did not look like he was even close to ready.
As far as 2017, 18 and beyond go they should cross those bridges when they get there and until then focus on getting number five, not getting rid of the guy who did more than anyone to get them their first four.

1b?

ESPN is bad for your brain. Brady the best QB in the league.

The distinction I make is this: Brady is still the best quarterback in the league, but not the best passer, which I'd probably give to Rodgers. [Passer, IMO, deals "purely" with the physical side of passing the ball. Quarterback deals with everything, including the mental aspects.]

I can see the 1A/1B argument, FWIW, on those grounds (although it should be obvious who I would consider #1 if I could only pick one).

Unbelievable

Really getting annoyed with people thinking Garoppolo is some type of guaranteed elite QB

WTF??

Saying "After the 2017 season I think Garappolo will be more valuable to NE because at that point he'll be able to play for a lot more years than Brady can so I won't be shocked if Belichick decides its time to move on" isn't being "in such a hurry to see that end". It's facing up to a (sad, yes) reality. And a reality I hope to hell that Belichick doesn't get all sentimental for. I was a Celtics fan in the 80s and 90s and saw first hand what over-sentimentiality does and don't want to see a repeat.
It is not about being over sentimental it is about living in reality. Garoppolo did well in a preseason game, do you know how many players have done well in preseason games in NFL history?

It is about being oversentimental. You're saying in this thread (and you said the same ad infinitum last year) that they should stick with Brady to the bitter end, no matter what, no matter what shape that leaves the team in when he leaves. That is the very definition of oversentimentality.

I'm saying that if NE believes Garopollo is capable of being the post-Brady long-term starter (note that important qualifier) they would be nuts to let him go after 2017 if they think the post-2017 Brady will play or be sufficiently productive for only a couple of years.

It is about being oversentimental. You're saying in this thread (and you said the same ad infinitum last year) that they should stick with Brady to the bitter end, no matter what, no matter what shape that leaves the team in when he leaves. That is the very definition of oversentimentality.

I'm saying that if NE believes Garopollo is capable of being the post-Brady long-term starter (note that important qualifier) they would be nuts to let him go after 2017 if they think the post-2017 Brady will play or be sufficiently productive for only a couple of years.
Garoppolo needs to do a lot more before any such discussion becomes relevant. Right now he has had one poor preseason game and one good preseason game. You are in here declaring him the second coming and it is just idiotic. You are naive enough to think that things will just continue on at the same level once Brady retires or is gone. Nothing about Garoppolo has said Steve Young to me so far. So like I said it is not about being over sentimental it is about not being in a hurry to no longer be a SB contender every season.

Your implication is that Garoppolo is a long term QB even if you attempt to hide behind "if".

It is baffling why this is so hard for some people to grasp. You aren't in any way hurrying Brady to the door or unduly elevating Gops, it's just basic roster management.

Last edited:
Garoppolo needs to do a lot more before any such discussion becomes relevant. Right now he has had one poor preseason game and one good preseason game. You are in here declaring him the second coming and it is just idiotic. You are naive enough to think that things will just continue on at the same level once Brady retires or is gone. Nothing about Garoppolo has said Steve Young to me so far. So like I said it is not about being over sentimental it is about not being in a hurry to no longer be a SB contender every season.

Your implication is that Garoppolo is a long term QB even if you attempt to hide behind "if".

I see your abject reading comprehension and invent-ludicrous-strawmen problems have returned. In force.

Other than in your fevered mind, where the f**k did I I say I thought things would continue at the same level after Brady is gone? Nowhere, that's where.

What I know is that even if Garoppolo is nothing more than a better-than-average NFL starter the team is better off with him after 2017 then having Brady in 2018 and 2019 followed by some bottom of the barrel QB for years thereafter.

Last edited:
@Brady6

Sorry my friend but you need to do better with your arguments:

"You are in here declaring him the second coming"

No-one has said that.

Nothing @QuantumMechanic has said is remotely controversial and is actually very practical. You are wearing blinders if you think that the possible Brady succession after 2017 won't be a matter of debate in the Patriots' FO.

A couple of years of Brady's early forty's against perhaps a decade of a potential long-term starter in his prime is something that has to be debated by the decision makers. It would be negligent not too.

The good news for us all is that we still have three, hopefully great, Brady years left before this becomes a concern AND that we have a backup QB that has demonstrated a bunch of potential. This is good news, something we should all be happy to celebrate together as a fandom.

Now if you want to call people "idiotic" for thinking Garoppolo could be a long-term QB, then please call me idiotic because that's exactly what I believe.

Unbelievable

Really getting annoyed with people thinking Garoppolo is some type of guaranteed elite QB
If this board was around when Michael Bishop was here it would have brought the internet to its knees.

I would love nothing more than having Jimmy become great and QB this team for a decade (whenever/ IF ever)... But apart from a select few instances (Montana/Young - maybe Manning/Luck) the odds are heavily stacked against NE. They are fortunate to have found a relatively cheap QB with extreme skill and intelligence (as well as the leadership to take team friendly deals) for such a long time. Most franchises do not even get the chance at one transcendent QB, let alone back-back.

If Jimmy is still around when the team decides to make a change, and if Jimmy is in the top third of QBs in the league - I'd be feeling very fortunate. But the odds...

A couple of years of Brady's early forty's against perhaps a decade of a potential long-term starter in his prime is something that has to be debated by the decision makers. It would be negligent not too.

QFT. People have lost perspective of how hard it is to find a viable quarterback. Jimmy does not need to be Young to Brady's Montana, he just needs to be a solid starter for this to become a legitimate discussion.

Last edited:
Nothing about Garoppolo has said Steve Young to me so far

Well to be a tiny bit fair, him escaping the sack and throwing it into the endzone for a TD was Young-like.

I agree with Tom's dad, it will end badly in New England for Tom. Tom will go somewhere where his value is greater to that team than to the Patriots. That day will suck but it's coming. I don't see it coming this year and I don't know if his replacement is on the team yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back