PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell to fine Jerry Jones millions for blocking his new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only regret I have of Tom Brady is that he didn't punch out Roger Goodell cold after SB51. Goodell would have gone down like Glass Joe on an uppercut.

Fair enough. If Goodell pointed out that Jones tried to circumvent the suspension process, and also sue his colleagues, you don't think that holds any weight?

That would be (contracts) language and fact dependent.

I really don't have much experience with this kind of thing.

Contract law is a pain in the ass, partly because the courts like to do things based on making things easy for themselves at least as much as doing things because they are the right thing to do.

This is so ludicrous it is hard to believe. But, then again, it is Goodell and the NFL.
And I thought the absolute power impulse was bad when he weighed in against the Pats. Yikes.

Is Jones bound to the league by the CBA? Owners as individuals seem like a 3rd party to that agreement. I wonder if there is a separate agreement in place that gives the Commissioner authority to do stuff to the other owners.

Bound by the Constitution and Bylaws.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

If you dig through it, you'll see Goodell pretty much has Article 46 like powers over other owners. Of course, at the same time I would point at Article 8.1 as a basic response (although legally, I'd expect this would be applicable in a lawsuit against the other owners rather than Goodell himself).

1. Goodell is a slimeball and this action confirms it once again,
2. but wasn't it Jones who told Kraft to suck it up over Deflategate? Karma's a *****.

So the league experienced declining revenue this past year ...

Now a few of them join in more negative publicity for the league.

Must be nice to be so rich that a few million less here and there means nothing.

This is already being walked back, by the way.

Bound by the Constitution and Bylaws.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

If you dig through it, you'll see Goodell pretty much has Article 46 like powers over other owners. Of course, at the same time I would point at Article 8.1 as a basic response (although legally, I'd expect this would be applicable in a lawsuit against the other owners rather than Goodell himself).
Awesome, thanks!

Article 9.1(A):
The violation of any of the provisions of this Article IX shall constitute conduct detrimental to the League and professional football.

Art. 9.1(C)
No member, nor any stockholder... shall:
(4) Publicly criticize any member club or its management, personnel, employees, or coaches and/or any football official employed by the League. All complaints or criticism in respect to the foregoing shall be made to the Commissioner only ans shall not be publicized directly or indirectly;

The last part about complaints not being made public is pretty ironic since this plan has apparently leaked from the NFL offices.

Clarity on NFL and #Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: It’s not a fine, it’s a reimbursement of costs incurred by member clubs. More than $2M. The resolution has been on the books for more than 20 years. Goodell did this after consulting with owners.

I am not a lawyer, but since Goodell won the Brady Appeal Case, federal judges agree with Goodell that Article 46 gives him the right to literally do anything he wants, including to lie, cheat or steal.
Article 46 is in the CBA, i.e. the league's agreement with the union. It doesn't apply here.

(EDIT: I am looking at the agreement now which was posted)

Imagine being the judge ruling on whether Goodell can call someone's reticence about giving him $40m a year "conduct detrimental". The obvious baseline is to rule against Goodell immediately, and laugh while doing it, and you work backwards from there based upon further information.

The baseline is that Goodell can suspend someone for something that didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure "reticence about giving him $40m" is sadly a step up.

They can lawyer up the lingo all they want, but it is still a financial punishment tied to jones wanting more barriers for goodell to reach his “incentives”.

Keep in mind, this is all tied to solidarity, the upcoming cba talks and their quest for international expansion.

My theory as to why goodell is still employed after being exposed as an unmitigated failure as commissioner is this:

1. Owners like to pick up the phone to tell him to do things.
2. Secrets about cte.

A more honorable commissioner may believe things need to be done that might change the sport, it’s popularity and hence, its financial future.

Last edited:
The baseline is that Goodell can suspend someone for something that didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure "reticence about giving him $40m" is sadly a step up.

The baseline is article 46 gives him the right do whatever he wants short of murder and rape.

That is what judges parker and chin signed off on.

Herr Goodell should make sure Dallas is playing home games in London for the next decade.That'll hurt more than any monetary penalties imposed.

Goodell can stand on a podium, tell bald face lies to the media regarding tb12 and deflategate and get off scottfree... and he thinks he can judge someone else? Jones should get a freakin medal for trying to oust commissioner ginger
Should he get a medal for egging him on in punishing Brady?

so 500k is the max fine for an owner, but instead they shift the dialogue to him delaying the goodell contract intentionally which cost 2 million dollars.

meanwhile, they can’t put cameras on the end zone lines and they don’t know their own rules.

just awesome leadership from goodell

really great stuff

keep in mind, roger cannot say he’s “grown” the league anymore, due to 2 seasons worth of plummeting tv ratings.

The baseline is article 46 gives him the right do whatever he wants short of murder and rape.

That is what judges parker and chin signed off on.

Again, as previously stated Article 46 does not apply to owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back