PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell caught lying yet again, and this time it may cost Kraft bigtime $$$

Both things are true at the same time: Goodell was seen lying in a court proceeding, and once again proves himself to be a spineless scumbag.
And, the owners are ultimately responsible for his behavior, because they give him marching orders, and by not firing him for this, approve of it. These aren't mutually exclusive. We need to try pretty hard to find something to disagree with here.

I believe the owners feel great has done a good job making them money, so they have no problem delegating more authority to him since they keep getting richer and richer (which is all they care about).

But make no mistake about it: He serves at their pleasure and they can fire him tomorrow if 24 of them so choose.

Of course they can fire him tomorrow if they so choose but that never will happen. The owners are not united on Goodell, not even 24 of them. That's a huge factor in why he has lasted so long and he has played it to his advantage.

Of course they can fire him tomorrow if they so choose but that never will happen. The owners are not united on Goodell, not even 24 of them. That's a huge factor in why he has lasted so long and he has played it to his advantage.
The reason why he has lasted so long is because of how much money he has made the owners, both in terms of revenue and increase in the value of the teams. I think the owners in general are united on Goodell in the sense that they like him and want to keep him.

But make no mistake about it, they “like him” because League revenues continue going up and up and up. That’s why he keeps his job and has the authority he does.

Goodell does what he's paid to do. Right now, you are doing EXACTLY what the owners are hoping you'll do. Blame Goodell instead of them.
This right here. Goodell makes $50 mill a year to be a lightning rod. He makes $50 mill a year so when Ray Rice punches out his girlfriend and the NFL bumbles around in response no one says "Steve Bisciotti is an idiot". We don't crap on the owners for Deflategate and all the Ted Wells nonsense. Same with the seemingly arbitrary length of discipline handed down from each case to the next. He carries the water for the 32 and he keeps their names out of the public crosshairs.

When you lie in such a manner as to bring upon legal liability to yourself and others, "But they told me to" doesn't hold up.

And, if you want to discuss the owners, feel free to do so. But the judge doesn't seem inclined to take your position on this, since he's including Goodell in with that group of owners.

I don't think the OP is giving Goodell a pass based on the fact that it was the owners telling him to lie. The point, from what I see, is that Goodell is being a good little boy and will be rewarded for his lies, even though he was caught in them. It's not his money that will be lost, he'll probably get a raise over this.

Legal extortion by St Louis.

Kraft and Jones are professionals at crying poor mouth and the NFL is screwed in the next CBA if this information is officially made public. Best for all 32 NFL owners to get their checkbooks out and payoff St Louis who could not secure solid financing for a new Rams stadium from the get go which started the relocation ball moving - Again.

Luke warm NFL city anyway. The old Rams Edward Jones dome was a cheap pos. The worst NFL venue that I have ever been too. Dump. STL is a fervent red hot baseball town like Boston. The state of Missouri gladly built STL a spanking new MLB park and entertainment development surrounding it. When KC put their hand out for the Royals, the state told them to go F off.

I didn't see Kraft referenced except that he was one of the few owners that will need to reveal information regarding his worth. I haven't been following this story closely, has Kraft been publicly linked to this outside of him being a NFL owner?
I'll ask for you......

Why is Kraft included in this ruling?
Were Bob and these other singled out owners not named Kroenke part of a "Relocation" committee at the time?
Or is this judge just hand picking high profile NFL owners?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it's because the Patriots under the ownership of James Orthwein attempted a Foxboro to St Louis relocation in '94 and this judge wants to inflict some belated retaliatory justice on Bob Kraft who blocked that relocation attempt.
Or maybe not :)

The Patriots almost moved to St. Louis in 1994. What if they had? - SBNation.com

The reason why he has lasted so long is because of how much money he has made the owners, both in terms of revenue and increase in the value of the teams. I think the owners in general are united on Goodell in the sense that they like him and want to keep him.

But make no mistake about it, they “like him” because League revenues continue going up and up and up. That’s why he keeps his job and has the authority he does.

The bottom line always has been keeping the golden goose fat but make no mistake, Goodell is no marketing wizard. His alleged "expertise" is navigating PR minefields and a big part of that, from his perch, is playing both ends of league ownership against the middle. It's safe to assume about a third of the owners like him, a third want to replace him and the rest are focused on their own problems. For Roger to be ousted he'd have to commit a felony offense in broad daylight with multiple witnesses. Believing otherwise would be a mistake. Make no mistake.

I would be very leery about Florio's legal conclusions. He hasn't practiced law in years.

Remember those that can, do. Those that can't, teach, or in this case, blog

In terms of how Goodell has actually done the owners well - long-term - is to be determined. The NFL has a highly popular product, making it almost impossible to screw it up. The decisions by Goodell to squeeze out every penny and to avoid any type of fundamental decency if it requires short-term pain…this has caused the public to view the league as untrustworthy and greedy, despite remaining interested in the game. If the public sentiment changes and the league loses its luster, it could be a precipitous fall. Baseball “survived” the steroid era only until it lost popularity and didn’t recover. People will thrilled to move on with a different favorite sport or entertainment venue.

I would be very leery about Florio's legal conclusions. He hasn't practiced law in years.

Remember those that can, do. Those that can't, teach, or in this case, blog
I do not know what Florio's legal conclusions are but IIRC, the city of St. Louis is undefeated (so far) in all the pre-trial maneuverings; most important of which is that the League wanted arbitration but got smacked down by SCOTUS and it will play out in a local courtroom (talk about HFA!!) They tried a motion to dismiss and lost. They tried for a summary judgement and lost.

Quite honestly, I can't think of a single thing in this case so far that has actually gone the League's way (perhaps other than the interminable delays).....

Clearly, we operate by different definitions. And that's okay. If you want to continue believing that's what I stated, go right ahead, I can't stop you.
It's not a matter of what I believe. It's a matter of what you wrote. I quoted you.

Man my Kraft impression is pretty good I think but I to test it out.

Nothing will come of this. Moving on.
The NFL is about as crooked and corrupt as any major business there is. They do what they want, when they want, how they want. The only thing that will change is if we stop watching. That's not going to happen in any rush.

I'm not sure which conclusions you're leery about, but as a lawyer I see this as a massive loss for the the NFL. It's highly unusual for the Judge to grant the Plaintiff's request to see the financials of the owners before the trial. This gives St Louis a huge advantage in settlement negotiations because the owners will do everything possible to hide their net worth. As others have pointed out, this case will settle.

The NFL is about as crooked and corrupt as any major business there is. They do what they want, when they want, how they want. The only thing that will change is if we stop watching. That's not going to happen in any rush.
Yep.

3bf4bc14-824a-4373-bb97-bd514f4078a2_text.gif

"Goodell caught lying again...."...meanwhile, in other breaking news...water is wet
When I first heard the headline today about R. Kelly my first instinctive thought was they were talking about Goodell:

"Roger Goodell sentenced to 30 years in prison for federal racketeering charges..."

Kelly is a messed up dude who had a troubled, traumatic childhood - he is a saint compared to Goodell, who is a worthless POS with no redeeming qualities.

Two Parcells of land huh?

How many draft picks did we lose?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes