PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Go listen to the QuickSlants Podcast..

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Quick Slants The Podcast

The best 30 minutes you can spend until the TNF game in terms of insight into the issues that are plaguing the defense right now.

Curran and Mayo are going into a lot of topics and especially Mayo provides a ****ton of insight into basics of zone/man, defending bunches, reasons for communication issues and how to solve them, coaching the secondary and also a bit into what to expect against the Bucs.

There are so many great quotes in there. Dont be surprised if he essentially contradicts a lot of what the clueless, hot take artists that have been posting their desperation threads been writing.

Thanks for giving me something new to listen to on the way to work this morning.

Regards,
Chris

This is the best! Jerod Mayo understands exactly what's going on. I don't feel better about the Buccaneers game, but at least it's understandable how this talented and experienced secondary is all screwed up.

No time to listen. What did Mayo say?

What a lot of ex-Pats have been saying this week. It's all communication problems on the D. Mayo got into a little bit of X's and O's to explain why it's communication.

Which makes me wonder why they didn't work on that this summer when summer is where you're supposed to work on communication. (At least 20 or so other teams don't have this problem...or if they do, it's not as bad as the Pats).

What a lot of ex-Pats have been saying this week. It's all communication problems on the D. Mayo got into a little bit of X's and O's to explain why it's communication.

Which makes me wonder why they didn't work on that this summer when summer is where you're supposed to work on communication. (At least 20 or so other teams don't have this problem...or if they do, it's not as bad as the Pats).
Pats are probably a bit more complicated

Limited Pads practice probably hurts the Pats more than other teams.

Still, I agree that the breakdown we are seeing is too unusual for what we expect from a BB (and Patricia) coached team. It does give you a bit of insight into "team defense' in that a player out of position makes the whole thing bad.

As an out of market fan who doesn't see the local coverage, I learned something today: Jerod Mayo is entertaining as heck. I assumed he was smart, but lots of smart guys suck at media. Not him.

Regards,
Chris

I'm sure they worked on it, but it is still kind of a mystery why they've played this dumb this many games into the season. A bunch of the busted plays are away from Gilmore too, so you can't hang everything on the new guy. Though the 2014 team with Revis gave up 33 to the Dolphins and 41 to the Chiefs.

I listened to the podcast. It basically confirmed communication is the main issue. It heavily implied Gilmore is the problem. Seems to be pretty much inline with hot-take artists.

Sounds like Jerod could help the Pats as a coach..hmmm.

I listened to the podcast. It basically confirmed communication is the main issue. It heavily implied Gilmore is the problem. Seems to be pretty much inline with hot-take artists.
It didn't even come close to saying Gilmore is the problem. Mayo described what is supposed to happen and what did and didn't blame any player in any way. Why? Because he doesn't know the call he only knows somehow it didn't get executed.
Curran did say McCourty "seems to always be at the scene of the crime" and that's as close to placing blame as anyone came.

It didn't even come close to saying Gilmore is the problem. Mayo described what is supposed to happen and what did and didn't blame any player in any way. Why? Because he doesn't know the call he only knows somehow it didn't get executed.
Curran did say McCourty "seems to always be at the scene of the crime" and that's as close to placing blame as anyone came.

I disagree. There was repeated speculation of what could the potential issues me. The one that seemed the most generous to Gilmore was that the rest of the secondary was so comfortable with each other that they barely said anything and that cause miscommunication with Gilmore. On the more harsh end, Curran asked multiple times if Gilmore was having trouble picking up the offense but Jerod deflected by saying they need to go to basics and make the defense easier.

Like I said, it was implied Gilmore was the issue.

I like when people have such a ****ing agenda that they'll twist every thing they can to support it.

I'm with Andy on this one, your take seems entirely based on interpretation based on preexisting bias.

I disagree. There was repeated speculation of what could the potential issues me. The one that seemed the most generous to Gilmore was that the rest of the secondary was so comfortable with each other that they barely said anything and that cause miscommunication with Gilmore. On the more harsh end, Curran asked multiple times if Gilmore was having trouble picking up the offense but Jerod deflected by saying they need to go to basics and make the defense easier.

Like I said, it was implied Gilmore was the issue.
You should listen again.
You are making things up.

Man. This was a great podcast. Mayo is fantastic in this.

I like when people have such a ****ing agenda that they'll twist every thing they can to support it.

I'm with Andy on this one, your take seems entirely based on interpretation based on preexisting bias.

You should listen again.
You are making things up.

I guess we agree to disagree.

I love listening to Curran, but don't forget to include Phil Perry as a great part of the Quick Slants podcast. He's taken over the day-to-day coverage of the team, and has lots of great insights as well.

One of my fav podcasts.

The Ex-Pats podcast, also on CNNSE, is pretty good too. Giardi gets on my nerves sometimes, but Koppen has some good insights. Used to feature Mayo too, but he hasn't been on lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes