PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

Huh? They lost some close games that they could have won which implies they aren’t far off.
That’s not a sinking ship.
There are no football gods.
Right, but they have not even played a good defense yet. Played some pretty iffy defenses only to get 18 ppg.

Take #1: A 2023 sixth round? The Patriots got TOOK! He would've gotten two firsts and a WR if they'd traded him last year! Plus everyone left here at the CB position sucks! I mean Sherman outplayed all of them last weekend for the Bucs with all those tackles he made!

Take#2: What a steal! Carolina is a paper tiger who will crash back to earth next year facing a harder schedule - that will be like a 5th round pick by 2023 plus there's definitely a hidden trade to use that extra money this year to bring in a legit #1 WR!

Anything I missed on the two ends of the spectrum?
Yup, that Josh McD sucks and needs to be fired.

It's common for fans to think players are worth more than their actual trade value.

The reality is Gill is 31, experienced a major injury, was a holdout, no TC, hadn't played this year and in 2020 his play was good but had declined from 2019.

The time to trade him was during the draft in 2020 but with a lower cap number is was harder to do so plus Gilly wanted more money. I'm assuming because the offers were lower than what BB was willing to accept, he decided to just keep him as he was a DPOY/All Pro.
The time to trade him was November 2020.

Would you have given Gilmore 15/per for 2 or 3 years at this point?

Asking sincerely.

No. Again, we are where we are because of decisions from the past. If you back up one hour, you can say “well, it’s a good decision to accept a 6th round pick instead of nothing.” If you back up two hours, it’s a good decision to part ways with a guy who doesn’t want to play here and costs money. This isn’t about what’s the best move today but looking at the big picture.

In 2020, the year of “the rebuild” there were numerous reports that Gilmore was on the trading block in March. The Patriots held out for their asking price rather than taking the best offer. As they also signed McCourty and Thuney, it’s clear they thought they were contenders. Many here saw that as delusional going with Stidham/Newton and continually made the point that, if they’re moving on from Brady, at least do a real rebuild and cash in vets for draft comp. Midway through the season, they still didn’t trade Gilmore at the trade deadline for the same reason. They didn’t take best offer. Yet not long after, Belichick gave his excuse list about how the 2020 team was so cash strapped they couldn’t realistically compete.

This offseason, same idea. In March, loading up in players to fill holes with full intent of competing for a championship. Same critics saying they should trade Gilmore because still far away from contending.

Now…we are here. A sixth round pick in 2023.

But a 5th next year is better than a 6th two years from now, no? The 6th is for 2023

Oh, I see what you're saying. I think I swapped the dates around in my head. Mea culpa.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I think I swapped the dates around in my head. Mea culpa.
I mean it doesnt matter becuase this was done for money purposes, they were out and still have to sign collins.

So you have… nothing… to show me? I figured that was the case. Never play poker, Stimmy. I wouldn’t want you to lose your last $50 and get your power cut off.

Kontra's early post was the reason I posted what I posted in terms of trying to reel in the nonsense this one flew out of the gate with. I get you don't like him - I can't stand him, so it's not like I don't agree with you

Fumbling and missed FG’s. Those are excuses. They flat out just couldn’t get it done. They had these woulda, coulda, shoulda’s last year.
No they aren’t. They are facts that illustrate how close or far away from winning a team is, thereby indicating where the team may be headed.
Losing on a missed FG to the defending SB champs and losing 35-0 to a scrub team are not the same thing. They equal the same thing in the standings but indicate very different teams and trajectories.

Critical thinking is not excuse making.

But a 5th next year is better than a 6th two years from now, no? The 6th is for 2023

I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Gilmore's comp would end up being a 2023 pick as well. So it's a 5th (at most) pick versus a 6th, in exchange for the cap space they might need this year.

Hmm, I was more just pointing out how Bill parting with key veterans is nothing new and that his latest one isn't going to make him look any worse than he's ever been made to look. If you want to call me a homer, so be it. I do support the team and the coach who has won us several Super Bowls, but I'm not one to excuse everything he's done.
No worries. I was pointing out that when the leader leaves (Tom) along with others, there’s something going on.

Clearly he’s happier there than here.
If by happy you mean more money, that's why he's in Carolina. Not sure why this is perplexing. We've know he's wanted more money and he will get it.

Kontra's early post was the reason I posted what I posted in terms of trying to reel in the nonsense this one flew out of the gate with. I get you don't like him - I can't stand him, so it's not like I don't agree with you
Sounds legit.

If by happy you mean more money, that's why he's in Carolina. Not sure why this is perplexing. We've know he's wanted more money and he will get it.

Did he get more money?

Right, but they have not even played a good defense yet. Played some pretty iffy defenses only to get 18 ppg.
You can only play who is on your schedule.
The saints have a good d btw.

Do you really think that the offense is not going to improve from where they were the first 4 games of a rookie QBs career?

Signing a 27 year old Gilmore to a 4 year deal = smart
Signing a 31 year old Gilmore to a 3 year deal = dumb

We've seen this before. It's a mistake to a sign Gilmore to a long term deal at this point. Darell Revis and Ty Law and Richard Sherman could not play at that level for multiple years until mid 30s, so why is Gilmore different?

I'm sorry but Charles Woodson and Darell Green were anomalies.

I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Gilmore's comp would end up being a 2023 pick as well. So it's a 5th (at most) pick versus a 6th, in exchange for the cap space they might need this year.
Sounds right, although if He came back and played this year and did well, would his comp pick have been higher? Not sure how that is determined, but as you said and I followed up with, it didnt matter because the money was gone and was needed.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back