PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Preview: Houston at New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta tell ya, the only thing I'm really going to be looking at tonight is Demario Douglas... can he translate the excitement he generated on the practice field to the playing field?

Christian Gonzales is worth a look on D I suppose...

Outside of that? Not really expecting an exciting tilt...
Ah, August, the watching-paint-dry phase of the NFL schedule.

Betting multi-combo parlays on all the pre-season "underdogs" seems to be a good strategy. Odds makers have just as little clue what's going on, who's playing and how many snaps, etc.

DK sports book has Pats at +142...

Biggest question: What number is Malik Happy Days Cunningham going to wear? It would be epic to see 64 out there doing his best Mike Vick impression. Dude has serious athleticism. He was a total nightmare for ACC DCs’ to prep for.

He thrives best when the play break down.

A great FA pickup btw.
Maybe he will run wild and give us all Michael Bishop preseason hysteria deja vu

A couple of thoughts on what I've read so far.

1. Too many people are getting upset about something that hasn't happened yet. Who plays or not plays are coaches decisions and often happen based on things we don't know about. BTW- I'd play Mac a few series as well as Zappe, but its not my decision.

2. It has been said on a couple of occasions that Mac has THREE years experience. NOT true. He is in his 3rd year, but only has 2 years experience. Just something that gnawed at me when I read it.

3. Going to have to go to a bar to see the game. Kind of embarrassed that no one in my California family has the NFL network.

4. I really liked the Cunningham signing. I really thought the Pats need a scout team QB that could realistically mimic the kinds of QB the Pats will see several times this year. I'm sorry that it will hurt his development at WR, BUT Malik's best value for the team THIS year will be in that role. And the Pats will play him extra to stay here on the PS..

5. So suddenly we have come from WR purgatory to having TOO many good prospects. Boutee, Douglas and Nixon have all shown they look like they can play and it only proves what I have been saying for YEARS. WR's are the most plentiful asset in the NFL. Colleges have been producing 15-20 QUALITY prospects every year. In the sense of great athletes with the speed and quickness to be productive players. there are just a LOT of these guys and they come in all sizes.

Now whether they end up being good football players is another story. Being a great athlete and being a great football player are two different things. The athletes to be good WR's in the NFL are out there. What they become is up to them.
Are the receivers and cornerbacks going to become the next running backs. Teams are probably just going to replenish wide receivers with rookies and just pay absolute studs the princely amounts. Meyers of the world will no longer see double digit salaries, probably 3 -6 million . Same goes for tight ends as well . Jonnu just got super lucky ..

A couple of thoughts on what I've read so far.

1. Too many people are getting upset about something that hasn't happened yet. Who plays or not plays are coaches decisions and often happen based on things we don't know about. BTW- I'd play Mac a few series as well as Zappe, but its not my decision.

2. It has been said on a couple of occasions that Mac has THREE years experience. NOT true. He is in his 3rd year, but only has 2 years experience. Just something that gnawed at me when I read it.

3. Going to have to go to a bar to see the game. Kind of embarrassed that no one in my California family has the NFL network.

4. I really liked the Cunningham signing. I really thought the Pats need a scout team QB that could realistically mimic the kinds of QB the Pats will see several times this year. I'm sorry that it will hurt his development at WR, BUT Malik's best value for the team THIS year will be in that role. And the Pats will play him extra to stay here on the PS..

5. So suddenly we have come from WR purgatory to having TOO many good prospects. Boutee, Douglas and Nixon have all shown they look like they can play and it only proves what I have been saying for YEARS. WR's are the most plentiful asset in the NFL. Colleges have been producing 15-20 QUALITY prospects every year. In the sense of great athletes with the speed and quickness to be productive players. there are just a LOT of these guys and they come in all sizes.

Now whether they end up being good football players is another story. Being a great athlete and being a great football player are two different things. The athletes to be good WR's in the NFL are out there. What they become is up to them.
The Pats can’t pay Cunningham more to be happy on the PS. The last CBA set practice squad salaries based on experience. Cunningham also can’t dress as the emergency 3rd QB if on the PS.

Personally, if he exhibits a good grasp on the things. I’d like the Pats to keep him on the 53 and dress him as QB 2 on game day. They should have a package of plays just for him emphasizing his athleticism and especially use him on goal line plays, so you’re playing 11 on 11 on run plays.

It’s so much easier to score TDs rather than kick FGs when you have an exceptional running QB.

The Pats can’t pay Cunningham more to be happy on the PS. The last CBA set practice squad salaries based on experience. Cunningham also can’t dress as the emergency 3rd QB if on the PS.

Personally, if he exhibits a good grasp on the things. I’d like the Pats to keep him on the 53 and dress him as QB 2 on game day. They should have a package of plays just for him emphasizing his athleticism and especially use him on goal line plays, so you’re playing 11 on 11 on run plays.

It’s so much easier to score TDs rather than kick FGs when you have an exceptional running QB.
This is an interesting idea, but with the whole rest of the team prepared to play the BOB offense based on a traditional quarterback, I want Zappe in there the moment Mac goes down.

But a package of plays (Wildcat, etc.) does sound interesting, if he's capable.

This is an interesting idea, but with the whole rest of the team prepared to play the BOB offense based on a traditional quarterback, I want Zappe in there the moment Mac goes down.

So 3 QBs, 5 or 6 WRs, and Bill's usual quota of Special-Teams-only-guys is going to mean you are squeezing some important players off the roster. At best he would be on Practice Squad and elevated a couple of times.

So 3 QBs, 5 or 6 WRs, and Bill's usual quota of Special-Teams-only-guys is going to mean you are squeezing some important players off the roster. At best he would be on Practice Squad and elevated a couple of times.
I think we go two quarterbacks and hope to get Cunningham on the PS. McSorely hasn't shown anything that suggests he makes the roster.

What if scenario knowing there is always surprises in TC what if QB"Trace" McSorley looks good Tonight? I know in our hearts it's Mac and Zappe but let's say he looks like he belongs do we carry Three capable QB's??

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes