PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game manager instead of Franchise QB till we find our Mahomes

If Mac Jones can be Kirk Cousins then the team is relevant. Don’t be silly and frankly stupid by being mad until we find a HoF talent. Because we won’t.
Don't forget old friend Jimmy G I could live with Mac being similar.:cool:

I agree that said I think we are very close to having an Elite Defense which could stop the Mahomes and Allen's of the NFL. I remember that 2001 Team with Willie McGinest - Seymour and Law it started it all. I think this Defense is close. :cool:
If you added a true number one corner to the defense I think it would be close to elite. I still think they get a little leaky in run defense and could use another LB with some athleticism. Uche coming on really helps and I think it is because they finally stopped asking him to set the edge, and stop the run, and drop back in coverage and all that crap. They are finally letting do what he does best.

Exactly. 49ers seem a good blueprint for teams without franchise QB. You worded it much better than I could .
All of the 49ers Super Bowls were won by Montana and Young. The 49ers haven't won a Super Bowl since 1994 so I don't know if I'm trusting their "blueprint." Shanahan coached liked he was petrified of Garoppolo in the 2019 and 2021 postseasons, and with good reason, because Garoppolo screwed it up when given chances.

The 49ers have a great team this season but I will be shocked if Brock Purdy leads them to a Super Bowl victory. Deebo is also dealing with a high ankle and an MCL so I'm not sold on him getting back to 100% this season.

For what, like a season? Not that it matters, there's absolutely no way that's happening anyway.

I'm actually guessing he's not overly thrilled with Purdy playing so well or obviously beating him since if he goes on to have a great finish, it might have ruined Brady's second shot of potentially playing for his hometown team.

If I were him, I'd call it a career after this season. He owns all the records and has zero to prove. Not to mention, his kids obviously won't be kids forever.
I don't think Brady is actually coming back to New England either but I would definitely take him for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. It would be a major boost for your website too.

The rest of this season will determine what Brady decides for his future. If he plays well then I don't think he's retiring unless he wins the Super Bowl. If he does come back next season then certainly one of the preferable locations will be available to him. LVR is probably the favorite right now but that could change. Will anyone really be surprised if Purdy isn't that good for the rest of the season? Especially with an injured Deebo.

I don’t know if Mac is The Guy. He might be too limited, it’s just impossible to tell with this nuclear meltdown of a coaching staff. But you do not need a HoF QB to win at a high level, even in today’s NFL. You think Jalen Hurts is a HoFer? He MIGHT be I can’t predict the future but I doubt it. Is Matthew Stafford a HoFer? Hell no. I don’t care what his passing numbers are, dude was garbage time extraordinaire. Matt Ryan? He wins a Super Bowl if not for the worst play calling in NFL history. NICK FOLES ANYONE?!

You need a QB who can play great. Mac might not be that. But you don’t need a HoFer. What you do need is a talented roster.

I don't think Brady is actually coming back to New England either but I would definitely take him for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.
That ship has definitely sailed and I've said repeatedly, they never should have let him walk. But it is what it is. And it's a big ask to have a 47-year-old out there behind this offensive line because at the very least, there's going to potentially be two new tackles who have to build continuity.

They'll stick to the plan and see how it goes. Although it certainly wouldn't shock me to see another guy taken in the draft in the relatively near future as they continue evaluating things.

Don't forget old friend Jimmy G I could live with Mac being similar.:cool:
Just so long as Mac's durability leaves less to be desired than with Jimmy G's.

Fans do not come to see Mac Jones or Kirk cousins. They come to see the team win .

And I think we have some electric playmakers in Rham and Marcus Jones. They could be the x factor and not the QB. Mariota would have been watchable if the talent was better in falcons.

49ers are the ones who are difference makers with talent on both sides of ball and superior coaching .
You do understand that the 49ers have maybe the best D in the league right? They also have 3 great playmakers in Deebo, McCathery, and Kittle. They have a coach who is a great offensive mind. They are literally one of the only teams in the league who can be an upper tier team without a good QB.

We are not even close to talent as the 49ers. You’re really gonna throw Marcus Jones in as an electric playmaker on par with Deebo, McCathery, and Kittle? Sorry, but in terms of elite offensive talent the Patriots aren’t close to the top of the league.

I will be shocked if Brock Purdy leads them to a Super Bowl victory.
LOL, I'm with you there - although I think the rest of the world probably would be as well ;)

Boomer they are hard to come by and you can miss a lot just trying to get one see Jets. I think any Team could live with a Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins with the other pieces in place.
I hear ya. The reality of the NFL is there’s a limited amount of teams truly vying for the Championship. Most of those teams have their QBs. In the AFC for the foreseeable future we will have to go through KC, Buffalo, Cincy… to get to the SB. 3 teams with great young QBs and solid lineups to go with them. We are a ways off. Lot of work to do.

You do understand that the 49ers have maybe the best D in the league right? They also have 3 great playmakers in Deebo, McCathery, and Kittle. They have a coach who is a great offensive mind. They are literally one of the only teams in the league who can be an upper tier team without a good QB.

We are not even close to talent as the 49ers. You’re really gonna throw Marcus Jones in as an electric playmaker on par with Deebo, McCathery, and Kittle? Sorry, but in terms of elite offensive talent the Patriots aren’t close to the top of the league.
No I am not throwing Marcus Jones in the league of their talent. I am saying I would be enthused as a fan to see what Marcus can do in offense as opposed to seeing mac's QB play.

49ers are a more complete team and we are still not there yet . But uche emergence and barmore potential and wise playing over his weight with Judon being a difference makers makes me think the defense could be a stud. We just need 1 shutdown corner to take away opposing QBs Wr1.

Similarly Thornton, P strong and Marcus and Rham bring elite speed. So if offensive line can be stitched together I see us in 2024 as being the 2022 version of 49ers.

If we unearth some gems in offensive line next year FA and drafy and get a playcaller like the lions offensive coach we could be in play as early as next year .

Caleb Williams of USC reminds me so much of Mahomes, would love to get Williams in the 2023 or 2024 draft.

I'll take your word for it, Scott. I would like them to draft a big, fast, strong armed prospect and let HIM develop.

Caleb Williams of USC reminds me so much of Mahomes, would love to get Williams in the 2023 or 2024 draft.
For that we need to have the number 1 pick...

I thought that Alabama QB was the number 1 prospect?
I believe he is not declaring this draft .it's 2024 . He is the Heisman winner. If he declares for this year, he could be vying for top spot against young and stroud.

After seeing performances of Mike White, Brock purdy , Davis mills last year and then the contracts for Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson , it really throws open the question as to who is a franchise QB?

Leave apart hall of famers Brady and Rodgers the only ones close to that duo are Josh Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and to a smaller extent Hurts this season.

Lamar can make team competitive but cannot win on his own without his legs which get tired come post season.

My view is you rinse, repeat Rookie QB till you find the franchise QB who need to be elite and can transform ordinary receivers to playmakers . Allow a year or two of development for rookie QB who are selected in rounds 3-4 .

Build the team around the QB with solid offensive line and 1 stud WR.

We might not consistently be sniffing a superbowl but could potentially win 1 over a decade .

The teams who have depth in talent will win the ring looking at the amount of injuries that are happening across board .

We were insanely lucky with Brady. Not gonna happen again . Let's try to increase our odds in the NFL lottery and not squander years like broncos or cardinals.

Sign long term contracts only for top 10 QB . Anyone below that make it incentive laden . 10 million a year . Postseason - 2 million , pro bowl - 3 million, afc championship - 3 million , super bowl - 40 million over 3 years.

A similar thread was created in jets forum as well

Maybe you dont remember but brady was called a game manager for a long long time until he got his weapons.

Maybe you don't remember but brady was called a game manager for a long long time until he got his weapons.
That Brady couldn't throw the deep ball either he sucked at it... we have come a long way. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Better off buying Brady's digital card collection.
You can buy it with your crypto. Which you buy with your checkbook.

I wonder how many threads there are in KC about "finding our Judon" and don't say Chris Jones, he's their Uche.

I know, I know, single most important player on the field...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back