PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game manager instead of Franchise QB till we find our Mahomes

Toofy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After seeing performances of Mike White, Brock purdy , Davis mills last year and then the contracts for Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson , it really throws open the question as to who is a franchise QB?

Leave apart hall of famers Brady and Rodgers the only ones close to that duo are Josh Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and to a smaller extent Hurts this season.

Lamar can make team competitive but cannot win on his own without his legs which get tired come post season.

My view is you rinse, repeat Rookie QB till you find the franchise QB who need to be elite and can transform ordinary receivers to playmakers . Allow a year or two of development for rookie QB who are selected in rounds 3-4 .

Build the team around the QB with solid offensive line and 1 stud WR.

We might not consistently be sniffing a superbowl but could potentially win 1 over a decade .

The teams who have depth in talent will win the ring looking at the amount of injuries that are happening across board .

We were insanely lucky with Brady. Not gonna happen again . Let's try to increase our odds in the NFL lottery and not squander years like broncos or cardinals.

Sign long term contracts only for top 10 QB . Anyone below that make it incentive laden . 10 million a year . Postseason - 2 million , pro bowl - 3 million, afc championship - 3 million , super bowl - 40 million over 3 years.

A similar thread was created in jets forum as well

If you look at the Super Bowl winning QBs since 2000, the overwhelming majority of them were considered franchise QBs, of varying levels of success. The only exceptions were guys with all time great defenses in what was basically a different NFL (Dilfer, Johnson) or Foles (took over a Super Bowl ready team when starter went down, got hot in playoffs, really the only exception to needing a franchise QB). Everyone else was a franchise QB, some better than others, and many of them considered some of the greatest QBs of all time.

If you look at the Super Bowl winning QBs since 2000, the overwhelming majority of them were considered franchise QBs, of varying levels of success. The only exceptions were guys with all time great defenses in what was basically a different NFL (Dilfer, Johnson) or Foles (took over a Super Bowl ready team when starter went down, got hot in playoffs, really the only exception to needing a franchise QB). Everyone else was a franchise QB, some better than others, and many of them considered some of the greatest QBs of all time.
Valid argument. I think I worded the title wrongly. I don't think teams outside of franchise QBs i.e truly elite are going to win Superbowl.

So it makes no sense to pay large contracts to QBs outside the top 7 like Wilson, Murray who need a solid supporting cast to win it all.

Considering we have Mac and Zappe, I feel they are also not franchise QB and we just need to roll dice every year on some QB talent while maintaining a solid core team with the expectation that we could. Potentially have a veteran franchise QB come over here like Stafford/Brady with minimal draft capital expended .

Bill has done Mac and himself a great disservice this year. He wasted a crucial year in a young quarterback's development by having him coached up by a defensive coordinator. Bill screwed himself, Mac, and Patricia with this move and we have basically no more clarity on whether Mac can be the guy or not.

After seeing performances of Mike White, Brock purdy , Davis mills last year and then the contracts for Wilson, Kyler Murray and Watson , it really throws open the question as to who is a franchise QB?

Leave apart hall of famers Brady and Rodgers the only ones close to that duo are Josh Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and to a smaller extent Hurts this season.

Lamar can make team competitive but cannot win on his own without his legs which get tired come post season.

My view is you rinse, repeat Rookie QB till you find the franchise QB who need to be elite and can transform ordinary receivers to playmakers . Allow a year or two of development for rookie QB who are selected in rounds 3-4 .

Build the team around the QB with solid offensive line and 1 stud WR.

We might not consistently be sniffing a superbowl but could potentially win 1 over a decade .

The teams who have depth in talent will win the ring looking at the amount of injuries that are happening across board .

We were insanely lucky with Brady. Not gonna happen again . Let's try to increase our odds in the NFL lottery and not squander years like broncos or cardinals.

Sign long term contracts only for top 10 QB . Anyone below that make it incentive laden . 10 million a year . Postseason - 2 million , pro bowl - 3 million, afc championship - 3 million , super bowl - 40 million over 3 years.

A similar thread was created in jets forum as well

One thing of note post Brady the Patriots got very slow on Offense. Last Draft addressed that with Speed in the likes of T Thornton - P Strong and two way player CB Marcus Jones. Let's adapt what the 49ers are doing put emphasis on acquiring Playmakers. We need to hit on another Offensive gem via the Draft or FA. You don't Need a Great QB if you have really good skill position players that's my take.

It’s not realistic to say if the QB isn’t in the top 10 he will only be payed incentive laden contracts. That’s simply not how it works. If we go that way we’ll have the Marcus Mariota’s of the world leading the team, and how the hell are the Krafts gonna sell that to the fans.

Everyone knows you need a great QB, but getting one isn’t easy.

It’s not realistic to say if the QB isn’t in the top 10 he will only be payed incentive laden contracts. That’s simply not how it works. If we go that way we’ll have the Marcus Mariota’s of the world leading the team, and how the hell are the Krafts gonna sell that to the fans.

I still wonder if Bill would take Mahomes today with that contract. I honestly don't think he would.

One thing of note post Brady the Patriots got very slow on Offense. Last Draft addressed that with Speed in the likes of T Thornton - P Strong and two way player CB Marcus Jones. Let's adapt what the 49ers are doing put emphasis on acquiring Playmakers. We need to hit on another Offensive gem via the Draft or FA. You don't Need a Great QB if you have really good skill position players that's my take.
Exactly. 49ers seem a good blueprint for teams without franchise QB. You worded it much better than I could .

Brady 2023

Make New England Great Again
For what, like a season? Not that it matters, there's absolutely no way that's happening anyway.

I'm actually guessing he's not overly thrilled with Purdy playing so well or obviously beating him since if he goes on to have a great finish, it might have ruined Brady's second shot of potentially playing for his hometown team.

If I were him, I'd call it a career after this season. He owns all the records and has zero to prove. Not to mention, his kids obviously won't be kids forever.

Bill has done Mac and himself a great disservice this year. He wasted a crucial year in a young quarterback's development by having him coached up by a defensive coordinator. Bill screwed himself, Mac, and Patricia with this move and we have basically no more clarity on whether Mac can be the guy or not.
It's not over yet and I'm not a big Mac fan but he can throw the football some. He hit Bourne quite a bit deep last year he has a faster player in T Thornton I am waiting for that connection. They are still more games left and we are still in it If Mac can somehow put it together he can write this wrong. The next Three weeks will be a real test to see if he's our next QB or not win or lose.

Fans do not come to see Mac Jones or Kirk cousins. They come to see the team win .

And I think we have some electric playmakers in Rham and Marcus Jones. They could be the x factor and not the QB. Mariota would have been watchable if the talent was better in falcons.

49ers are the ones who are difference makers with talent on both sides of ball and superior coaching .

Last edited:

Boomer they are hard to come by and you can miss a lot just trying to get one see Jets. I think any Team could live with a Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins with the other pieces in place.

It's not over yet and I'm not a big Mac fan but he can throw the football some. He hit Bourne quite a bit deep last year he has a faster player in T Thornton I am waiting for that connection. They are still more games left and we are still in it If Mac can somehow put it together he can write this wrong. The next Three weeks will be a real test to see if he's our next QB or not win or lose.
Next year should be the determining factor if they bring in a real OC. I know the offensive line isn't perfect but it really never will be and if Mac needs everything around him to be perfect then he really isn't the guy. 90% of the quarterbacks in the league are going to succeed if all things around them are perfect. Mac needs to show that he can be the reason we win next year.

I know Joe Burrow is good but he has some really good Offensive players @ RB and WR. Teams have pick their poison when they play the Bengals now. Could Mac Jones be a poor mans Joe Burrow with playmakers around him?? It remains to be seen.

Next year should be the determining factor if they bring in a real OC. I know the offensive line isn't perfect but it really never will be and if Mac needs everything around him to be perfect then he really isn't the guy. 90% of the quarterbacks in the league are going to succeed if all things around them are perfect. Mac needs to show that he can be the reason we win next year.
I agree that said I think we are very close to having an Elite Defense which could stop the Mahomes and Allen's of the NFL. I remember that 2001 Team with Willie McGinest - Seymour and Law it started it all. I think this Defense is close. :cool:

If Mac Jones can be Kirk Cousins then the team is relevant. Don’t be silly and frankly stupid by being mad until we find a HoF talent. Because we won’t.
Agreed. Just don't pay huge contracts to game managers . Game manager should be around 20 million . Because you can use the savings to get 2 WR1 .

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back